Author Topic: Peculiar lime wanted  (Read 4211 times)

snhabegger

• Nick
    • Edmonton, Canada, Zone 3
    • View Profile
Peculiar lime wanted
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
I have a question -- my wife and I lived on Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands for several years.  While there, we ate a peculiar tangerine that was different from any I've seen elsewhere:  it had a loose peel that came off easily, very few seeds, and a bit of a watery flavour.  I found a couple pictures on the Internet of what it looked like, and have sometimes wondered if it was what Morton calls an Otaheite Rangpur (or lime) or a kusiae lime.  This type rarely had seeds.  Any thoughts?

puzzle5112

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
Re: Peculiar lime wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
This kind of tangerine is very common in Taiwan.
And now is in season!!
Its very popular here.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »
looks like rangpur.

they are pretty tart in my experience...I usually let them get fully orange...they look like a tangerine, but taste sour as any lemon or lime!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

snhabegger

• Nick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »
It's not a Rangpur -- we have one of those, and they are extremely sour.  Morton includes them in her section on Rangpurs, but they are different. 

As for Taiwan, the problem with identifying it is that many Asian tangerines basically look like this.  You might be right, but I'm also hoping that someone with experience in Guam or Micronesia will appear.  Do the taiwanese tangerines have a very loose peel, few seeds, and a weak flavour?

puzzle5112

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
Yap! It has a very loose peel, few seeds, and a weak flavour in my experience  .
I'll go to the market tomorrow.
If I find it ,I'll show you the pic.
Its very sweat when they are ripe

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »
Ok!

I'm stumped!

The only other watery lime I've tasted is the Palestine sweet lime...yours looks nothing like that.

I hope you figure it out!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

snhabegger

• Nick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
Yap! It has a very loose peel, few seeds, and a weak flavour in my experience  .
I'll go to the market tomorrow.
If I find it ,I'll show you the pic.
Its very sweat when they are ripe

That's great!  I'm curious to see what they look like.  Taiwan would make sense, that island has historical connections to Guam and Micronesia.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »
It looks like an unripe mandarin. I can't think of any limes that ripen orange color, they are all yellow when ripe.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:27:02 PM »
Could it be sathukkudi? i believe the english name is Limetta. It's very common in india to make juice with.

snhabegger

• Nick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
Could it be sathukkudi? i believe the english name is Limetta. It's very common in india to make juice with.

It might be -- when you type Otaheite into GRIN, it kicks out many specimens from India.  Looking at images though, the peel appears tighter.

As for the lime-ness of it, that's just a term -- I used it because my best guest is that it is what Morton calls an Otaheite (Tahiti) Rangpur lime. 

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »

It might be -- when you type Otaheite into GRIN, it kicks out many specimens from India.  Looking at images though, the peel appears tighter.

As for the lime-ness of it, that's just a term -- I used it because my best guest is that it is what Morton calls an Otaheite (Tahiti) Rangpur lime.

Well, the limetta's i have seen look very much like your photos. Also the idea of it being slightly watery matches very well, limettas don't have the "kick" of traditional oranges.

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
Upon landing on some So. Pac island my son related how all the locals ran over to where kusiae limes were being sold. He did get some & was most emphatic that I grow this lime. I had searched for some time & finally found a reference that all the plants had a serious virus & were in decline. I had held out hope that some ag group would clean it up,but never heard anything more. I f  anyone knows of a clean source I would appreciate learning of it.
aloha
rich

puzzle5112

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 01:23:38 AM »

The fruit pick from tree for a long time.
So it appear deep orange color.Or the color is same as your pics.

snhabegger

• Nick
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »
I just wanted to say that I found a member of this forum who lives on Guam, who identified the tangerine I was talking about:  it's called a lalanghita, and according to them is associated with tangerines from Japan. 

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »
I noticed that fruit right away.
It's grown mainly in the Batangas area of the Philippines.  It's called Dalanghita/Darangita, under the Citrus Aurantium label, but it's taste is more deep than any tangerine stateside.  It's mainly eaten fresh or made into drinks like lemonade.  Check out this link. http://www.stuartxchange.com/Dalanghita.html

Tropicaliste

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk