Author Topic: Flacourtia inermis Flowering  (Read 397 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Flacourtia inermis Flowering
« on: May 21, 2022, 09:15:03 PM »
I bought the seeds from tradewinds as Flacourtia jangomas, but a forum member IDed it as F. inermis. I believe it's dioecious, and only have this one tree. Well, it completely defoliated after the freezes, and I started hacking it back and placed a Silk Floss Seedling at its feet that will hopefully eventually fill up the space. As an aside, the Silk Floss is named Bob Floss.

Anyhoo, I left part of the F. inermis up to have its defoliated limbs help give Bob Floss some filtered light till he grows into a Happy Tree, and low and behold, the branches started leafing out and now there are flowers.

I am not sure It'll fruit, and wanted to know if anyone has had the fruit and if the tree might be worth keeping? I've read the fruit can be astringent and sour and not sweet, and if that's the case, I will feel less guilty about hacking it back.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:17:30 PM by fliptop »

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Flacourtia inermis Flowering
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 04:47:15 PM »
Your plant have some similarities with my jangomas plant, I ate the seeds in Tenom Park Borneo, even do jangomas is said to be dioecious there was there only a single tree there, my plant still small maybe three feet tall and two years old, how is yours?
El verde es vida!

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: Flacourtia inermis Flowering
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 09:08:14 PM »
Hi, Raul, I can't find the receipt for the seeds, but I think the tree is five years old. It grew about seven feet tall and honestly is an attractive tree. But with the freezes, it looked horrible, and reading about fruit quality, I figured I'd rather have the Silk Floss Tree there. But if it holds fruit and we like it, I'll move the Silk Floss. I have no way of proving this, but I think the hacking back of it caused the flowering. So you ate the seeds or the fruit in Borneo? If you had the fruit, what did you think of it? Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk