Author Topic: First Cacao pod harvested  (Read 1874 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
First Cacao pod harvested
« on: March 02, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
I picked this fruit about a week ago, but am just getting around to opening it. 

What the heck......Post Image took it without any problem and from the same cell phone and upload process.  I am so confused.

Anyway, the very scant white flesh was quite tasty around the seeds of the cacao.  It had sort of a sweet tart vibe too it.  Everyone that tasted it wished there was more flesh to enjoy.  Now begins the drying and fermentation process on the seeds.  Watch out Godiva!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: First Cacao pod harvested
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
Very cool Harry...congrats on joining the "cacao harvester" club. And may you fruit many more!
FloridaGreenMan

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
Congrats Harry !  Looks good :)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:23:27 PM »
Nicely done Harry, put me down for a 1lb. box of truffles.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 06:46:06 PM »
You know, if you open the fruit as soon as you pick it you will find more juicier fruit.
 The fermentation works better when there is more cacao so sometimes we will pick a bunch of pods, save them for a week, and pick more to combine in a larger fermentation lot.  The older stuff is going to have drier fruit which is not as good for eating the pulp but doesn't seem to effect the quality of the cacao.
Peter

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »
That is awesome!!!  I can already taste the BG x Tabouey jackfruit dipped in dark chocolate.

Brandon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
I picked this fruit about a week ago, but am just getting around to opening it. 

What the heck......Post Image took it without any problem and from the same cell phone and upload process.  I am so confused.

Anyway, the very scant white flesh was quite tasty around the seeds of the cacao.  It had sort of a sweet tart vibe too it.  Everyone that tasted it wished there was more flesh to enjoy.  Now begins the drying and fermentation process on the seeds.  Watch out Godiva!

I think postimage is still downsizing your photos because when you click on that photo it's still quite small, just a little bit bigger than the thumb photo on the forum. Make sure to click option on postimage, right before uploading, to leave image at the original size.
Peter is right. If you let the cacao pod stand for so long they will start to dry out inside. Better to eat right away. Also after 5-7 days they will usually start to blacken on outside and start molding on the inside. No matter what you do the pulp inside is quite scant in most cultivars. But there  are differences from one cultivar to another in amount of pulp. BTW, you can tell when a pod is getting ripe because it will start to lose its exterior glossy shine. No need for tapping. Unless you like music.  ;)
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk