Author Topic: Custard apples in Miami Dade  (Read 15002 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Custard apples in Miami Dade
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »
Coņo cubano, que pinta que tienen esas reticulatas!

How would you rate/describe the taste of San Pablo and Fernandez?

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »
Coņo cubano, que pinta que tienen esas reticulatas!

How would you rate/describe the taste of San Pablo and Fernandez?

To me, definitely there is a difference in taste. They only grit I noticed on both was when you get really close to the skin. So, I wouldn't describe them as gritty. Both were like scooping a berry yogurt. Very creamy. San Pablo had more of an annona taste than Fernandez. Both were gorgeous fruits inside and out. San Pablo had more of sweet scent than Fernandez. I couldn't smell any scent on the Fernandez.  I didn't think they had a lot of seeds considering the size of the fruit. San Pablo seemed  seedier than Fernandez. This was my first time eating any red flesh Custard Apples. Never saw any red ones back home. Both San Pablo and Fernandez are fine cultivars worth propagating. Based on what I remember of how the yellow Custard Apples taste like, I would prefer the taste of the yellow ones, however I have not tasted any yellow ones here in the U.S. Hopefully, I will get to taste one soon. Hope that helps.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »
Hi, JF My Reticulata does not seem to be too gritty , at least for me, and they are white on the inside, no Red at all,Check the pics. out >>>==>now about that Hunucma Amarilla, where can I get some seeds,or seedlings.
Caribbean Carlo

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »
Hola felipe ,Yo le echo sazon de Cerveza & Vino Tinto, pronto tengo como diez para semillas
Carlo

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 01:59:41 PM »
Hi, JF My Reticulata does not seem to be too gritty , at least for me, and they are white on the inside, no Red at all,Check the pics. out >>>==>now about that Hunucma Amarilla, where can I get some seeds,or seedlings.
Caribbean Carlo

Tremenda Chirimoya (reticulata). Well done, Carcarlo.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »
Hola felipe ,Yo le echo sazon de Cerveza & Vino Tinto, pronto tengo como diez para semillas
Carlo

Aqui las semillas son muy bienvenidas  ;)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »
Carcarols

The red reticulata are great but they are too griddy, seedy not very custardy. If you could find a yellow flesh reticulata, like my Hunucma Amarillo, that is very creamy and not overwhelmingly sweet with good balance

JF
You obviously have not tried a good Florida reticulata...when properly ripened they are AWESOME. I have a friend who grows and sells them for $7 per lb and sells every fruit he grows. They are as good or better than any Cherimoya, in my opinion....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:21:47 PM by FloridaGreenMan »
FloridaGreenMan

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
Is there a list of reticulatas that grow well in So. Florida?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »
Carcarols

The red reticulata are great but they are too griddy, seedy not very custardy. If you could find a yellow flesh reticulata, like my Hunucma Amarillo, that is very creamy and not overwhelmingly sweet with good balance

JF
You obviously have not tried a good florida reticulata...when properly ripened they are AWESOME. I have a friend who grows and sells them for $7 per lb and sells every fruit he grows. They are as good or aetter than any Cherimoya, in my opinion....

Hi Noel

You are right, no I haven't tried a good florida Custard Apple but I've tried many, many, custard apple from*la cuna de las reticulatas* Yucatan. In the last 4 years I have traveled from Campeche MX to Punta Gordo Belice and in my humble opinion the A.reticulata is inferior than an A.Cherimola. I would love to try these superior florida custard apple to match then up with California Cherimoyas if anyone is willing to send me a few.  here are old pics of the custard apples I've had in my journeys.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
Carcarols

JF
You obviously have not tried a good florida reticulata...when properly ripened they are AWESOME. I have a friend who grows and sells them for $7 per lb and sells every fruit he grows. They are as good or aetter than any Cherimoya, in my opinion....

Hi Noel

You are right, no I haven't tried a good florida Custard Apple but I've tried many, many, custard apple from*la cuna de las reticulatas* Yucatan. In the last 4 years I have traveled from Campeche MX to Punta Gordo Belice and in my humble opinion the A.reticulata is inferior than an A.Cherimola. I would love to try these superior florida custard apple to match then up with California Cherimoyas if anyone is willing to send me a few.  here are old pics of the custard apples I've had in my journeys.

Har Mahdeem and others from Florida have traveled to Central America and brought back some of the best A. reticulata such as Sarteneja, Canul and others and they are excellent cultivars. I have tried many seedling A. reticulata in Central American and Caribbean markets and have been disappointed with the quality also. Custard apples do have a "grittier" pulp than Cherimoya but the good ones have an very nice raspberry custard flavor.   

FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
Noel.....you need to get some good cherimoyas. Your experience with them has not been truly representative....I feel anyway.  The best reticulatas I have ever had were not anywhere close to the best cherimoyas......in my humble opinion of course. I'm with JF on this one. If there are some "Florida" reticulatas that are as good or better than cherimoya, I sure would like someone to show me.  I am more than willing to be wrong.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Custard apples in Miami Dade San Pablo reticulata
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 07:45:09 PM »
This first two pictures are of the First Sam Pablo A. reticulata I had. I guess the fruit needed more time in the tree. Did not ripened evenly and was not sweet.

The following pictures were of the second fruit. This was a lot better. Did ripened evenly, was a lot sweeter than the first. It was a cornucopia of tropical flavors. For a 3 lbs fruit it did not have a lot of seeds. These were around the center of the fruit, encased in white sugar apple texture. Very enjoyable to clean the seeds. Surrounding this seeded heart, is a 1 to 1 1/2 inch flesh with the texture of a  warm dessert polenta  (only the texture) or the texture of soft berry sorbet. The flavors are so intense that i could only eat like a 1/4 of the fruit.

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Custard apples in Miami Dade San Pablo reticulata
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
This first two pictures are of the First Sam Pablo A. reticulata I had. I guess the fruit needed more time in the tree. Did not ripened evenly and was not sweet.

The following pictures were of the second fruit. This was a lot better. Did ripened evenly, was a lot sweeter than the first. It was a cornucopia of tropical flavors. For a 3 lbs fruit it did not have a lot of seeds. These were around the center of the fruit, encased in white sugar apple texture. Very enjoyable to clean the seeds. Surrounding this seeded heart, is a 1 to 1 1/2 inch flesh with the texture of a  warm dessert polenta  (only the texture) or the texture of soft berry sorbet. The flavors are so intense that i could only eat like a 1/4 of the fruit.

Carlos, that second pic looks excellent Fernandez and San Pablo is definitely worth growing down here. Pics of my Cuban Red some are the size of an apricot and growing fast

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:42:49 PM by JF »

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »
I'd love to cross a pink fleshed custard apple with a cherimoya! yum

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 08:52:43 AM »
curious what Har thinks regarding what reticulata cultivars taste best here in FL...since he is an annona expert
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »
OK, this is a great and very informative Thread.

If we were to keep in mind that the quality starndard bearer is the Anon (Sugar Apple), then of the following list of mentioned cultivars, which is the overall best in terms of productivity, fruit size and taste, and in what location does it grow best:

Biriba
'Carlos'
'Fernandez' (Excellent according to Cuban007)
'IMHO' (Excellent according to Cuban007)
'San Pablo' (Excellent according to Cuban007)
'Sarteneja'

Am I correct to assume from the deliberations on this Thread that the 'San Pablo' comes out ahead? Whatever the case may be, the 'San Pablo' and 'Fernandez' look very impressive. All the details on grittiness, sweetness, seedyness... is greatly apprecieated.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 10:40:49 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 09:38:16 PM »
I can't stress enough how much the fruit quality can vary, even on the same tree...I've eaten enough San Pablo fruits this season to realize that some are dynamite..., some are decent, and some are just ok.

Today I had one that was top notch!  A Flipping fantastic fruit
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:06:35 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »
here are some custard apples my friend took a picture of during a  recent cultural exchange trip to Cuba.
too bad they didn't realize what they were...and didn't taste any.

also can see caimitos to the right
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »
are those hot peppers in between?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
(Cause) I'm happy... to report that I got the 'San Pablo' custard apple at Lara Farms and planted it the same day. This was my first time at Lara Farms and meeting Mr. Lara Sr. who was more than very helpful.

Thank yous go to you guys that let me know that the 'San Pablo' 'is not' an evergreen fruit tree, that sure helped in selecting the planting location.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »
(Cause) I'm happy... to report that I got the 'San Pablo' custard apple at Lara Farms and planted it the same day. This was my first time at Lara Farms and meeting Mr. Lara Sr. who was more than very helpful.

Thank yous go to you guys that let me know that the 'San Pablo' 'is not' an evergreen fruit tree, that sure helped in selecting the planting location.

This is incredible but true, my just planted 'San Pablo' already has two custard apple fruits on it! Nevertheless, I know these fruits will drop since the tree is just 4 feet tall. If they don't drop, I'll remove the fruit, otherwise it'll kill the tree.