Author Topic: Recommendations: Pruning tools  (Read 9052 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations: Pruning tools
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 08:28:41 PM »
Best hand pruner is Felco....NOT Japanese.
- Rob

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 10:34:03 PM »
Who bring this post back?  I thought I won't spend anymore money on Black Friday, but after I read this post.  I spent money on this Felco F6 Pruner. 

Zetandel

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 08:33:30 AM by JakeFruit »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2021, 08:43:53 PM »
In order of how crucial they are>>
1-My pruning tool MVP is electric pole saw. I have two, one is more lightweight with shorter bar. These are AC/ not battery powered.
2-Then comes manual pruner on a pole.
3-Loppers... I have anvil for heavy duty (one inch branch and more) and bypass lopper too
4- Hand pruners of various qualities. I have two favorites that can cut through thick branches. When they cannot make that cut,  the next step up is my bypass lopper.

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2021, 07:38:55 AM »
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

toucan_joe

• botanic enthusiast
    • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 05:38:21 AM »
In order of how crucial they are>>
1-My pruning tool MVP is electric pole saw. I have two, one is more lightweight with shorter bar. These are AC/ not battery powered.
2-Then comes manual pruner on a pole.
3-Loppers... I have anvil for heavy duty (one inch branch and more) and bypass lopper too
4- Hand pruners of various qualities. I have two favorites that can cut through thick branches. When they cannot make that cut,  the next step up is my bypass lopper.
I've heard a lot about Fiskars products. Their loopers seem to be too heavy for me. Which models and brands can you recommend as an alternative?
Thanks in advance   
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 11:42:31 AM by JakeFruit »

Jamesther

• Puerto Rico
    • View Profile

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »
The Milwaukee M12 looks nice!  Btw, speaking of Milwaukee,  the Sawzall works great for roots.

Last Christmas,  I scored on woot for a corded pole saw for ~$50+tax, free prime shipping. Have mowed down a dying narly 30 year old weeping willow , only the trunk and some 6+inch limbs awaits the chain saw. Spent more time being careful on the cuts vs sawing.  The 12awg cord is a hassle but a lot easier than the manual pole saw that ironically cost more 15+ years ago.

Sun Joe Electric Multi-Angle Pole Saw https://sellout.woot.com/offers/sun-joe-electric-multi-angle-pole-saw-1?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app

Felco and 2 if the $8 pruners Zands posted about last year. $8 to prune sappy stuff, as "loaners" or left in the truck for as needed.

I keep eyeing the Cordless chainsaws but if I didn't already have both red and yellow lines , they'd be even far too expensive. Maybe a good black friday deal this year?

ivan radia

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2022, 05:47:10 PM »
Spam
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 08:57:26 PM by JakeFruit »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2022, 05:04:39 PM »
Are you pruning limbs out or cutting down trees ?
With a battery chainsaw, watch the battery life. You don't want to run out of charge mid cut on a big trunk or hanging limb.
Ok well you can stall or can't start a petrol chainsaw too.
Good saw blades on hand tools are just as good as a chainsaw for small limbs and branches.
Yes a chainsaw can cut faster, but you also have to clear out what you cut from the tree.
A D handle bush saw is a good tool.
A curved blade pruning saw is good for tricky spots.
Strong loppers are good for trimming up smaller side branches.
Using these will save your battery life.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2022, 05:22:38 PM »
Battery pole saw works great, and an extra battery is all you need to deal with running out of charge on the job. Ego pole saw and extensions have been great. Gave away my gas powered chainsaw, and use the Ego chainsaw as well. Have to admit, the gas one has more power, and was happy when my neighbor helped me with my old chainsaw in taking down some out of control areca palms. We mess with each other, and talk shmack about gas vs electric, and he always finishes with, "I love the smell of gas fumes." Cannot argue with that.

Rob is right, Felco is the best of any of the tools I've bought.

On that note how do you sharpen a Felco or whatever brand hand pruner or lopper?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2022, 08:25:50 PM »
There are two ways to sharpen the Felco. You can disassemble it and sharpen the blade on a nice stone. The way that I do it is to use a steel sharpener sold by Corona. You pass the steel about 5 times on the beveled side then turn the blade over and get the flat side two times. Works really well.
I have 4  Felco hand pruners. It’s a great tool and I keep one in my car. But my two all purpose, everyday hand pruners are Japanese. Japanese know cutting tools. But I use the Felco too. What I haven’t found any comparable quality to is the Silky saw. I haven’t found any other pruning saw that I would pick up to use.
For loppers we use the US made Vaca.

We use both gas and battery chain saws. What worries me about the pole mounted chain saw is that occasionally the saw gets stuck in a branch and you have to work it out one way or another which is not such a challenge. But what if you can’t reach it which is why you’re using the pole in the first place.
Peter

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2022, 10:31:43 PM »
Thanks Peter, that helps.

You are correct, the pole saw can get stuck, and it can be challenging to free up when stuck up high. So far, if I pull down on a branch, it will loosen up enough to come right out. Doesn't happen much, and technique has a lot to do with not getting stuck.