Author Topic: Recommendations: Pruning tools  (Read 8999 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Recommendations: Pruning tools
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »
Hello all,
I just wanted to know your personal recommendations on pruning tools.
I'm in need of some tools and wanted to know what you guys recommend.
I have some overgrown citrus and persimmons to trim as well as a shade tree in my front yard.
I'm fairly limited by a budget right now but I'd like to hear what works for you for:

Polesaw (Manual or powered)
Pruning shears
Loppers
Pruning saw

as a side note I will be getting a Ryobi 12in 18v chainsaw, has anyone tried this out before? I have only .2 acres and already own multiple ryobi tools so this sounded the most conveniant.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-12-in-18-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Electric-Cordless-Chainsaw-4-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-P549/300450480
Thanks,
-Kris

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Recommendations: Pruning tools
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »
For a hand saw, Silky is my brand.
Hand clippers I use Felco, although I have a very good Japanese set that I don’t remember the name right now.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 05:27:29 PM »
Vaca Shears makes awesome loppers.
Felco is my favorite shear brand.
Neither are "budget" tools, but they will last a lifetime, so the amortized cost is lower than the cheaper tools.
Jeff  :-)

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
-Josh

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 09:58:35 AM »
I agree with the Vaca loppers.
I have bought so many different kinds of loppers and cutters.  I have a collection here.  In my experience nothing that costs less than about $25 is going to be worth working with. And there is a difference in quality and longevity that would be worthwhile for the serious grower that justifies spending $50-60 for a better quality tool.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 11:42:29 AM »
Vaca Shears makes awesome loppers.
Felco is my favorite shear brand.
Neither are "budget" tools, but they will last a lifetime, so the amortized cost is lower than the cheaper tools.
I agree with Jeff's recommendations I have used Felco hand pruners for years and love them. I now for two years I'm a proud owner of a pair of Vaca loppers and i love them best I've ever owned in 50yrs of gardening!!! Biggest tip I can give folks is keep your tools clean they will stay sharp longer and work the way they were designed too!!

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »
I use Samurai Ichiban 13" saw and Okatsuna XL bypass pruner, both available on Amazon.  I picked them up from my past experience with Japanese made kitchen knives. For loppers, I am using an old Lowes one.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »
I bought the Silky from Amazon and the Castellari is from the the legendary Maurice Kong but I think that he is selling off the last of his backstock. He was also selling some incredible Castellari loppers but I didn't have the funds to buy them. My friend has some and they are really incredible.

I also use a very similar Due Buoi double cutting blade pruner at my friends farm which seems to be similar quality.

I use this.

https://castellari.us/prodotto/lady/

And this.

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/Folding-Straight_2/Gomboy-Folding-Saw-685#sthash.T9DV6yHH.dpbs

Where is it sold?
-Josh

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »
"Where it is sold?"
Castellari pruner:

https://www.oescoinc.com/castellari-b12-fermarami-anvil-pruners.html

Another seemingly good choice for quality double cut blade pruner - Also made in Italy - is "Vesco", this is the one being use by the lady from Youtube's Truly Tropical; I've got my finger on the trigger to get this one for myself...:

https://www.vescousa.com/en/pr/a2_-_double-cut_pruning_shears_size_ml/2663.html
Sam

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 05:10:43 PM »
Thank you all, I really like the idea of the double cut shears, I will add it to my shopping list  :-)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »
I like cheap tools, I like expensive tools.
Like Cookie said...superior pruning shears can be loppers for good thickness (branches up to three quarters inch or one inch) plus leave one hand free for grabbing down branches that loppers do not.
But loppers allow you to reach up higher.

as a side note I will be getting a Ryobi 12in 18v chainsaw, has anyone tried this out before? I have only .2 acres and already own multiple ryobi tools so this sounded the most conveniant.

lol $169 at HD. Get a straight electric non- Rechargeable via Harbor freight for $40 or Craigs list. You will not be using it that often. Invest in extension cords for your size property

My fave all in all are the loppers that Aldis has on sale each spring for $10.

Polesaw (Manual or powered)

On a pole you have a very strong lopper. I have the chain saw type too. (non battery powered) I have both kinds and use both.  Start with the manual type is my advice and get the electric chainsaw type later on.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:39:30 PM by zands »

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 06:14:55 PM »
Thank you all for the recommendations I appreciate it.

As for getting a $40 chainsaw at harbor freight... I will use my chainsaw frequently (I have a wood fireplace) but not 'heavily' and I'd rather not have a chainsaw that will catch fire. :)

-Kris

sttmike

• st.thomas, vi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 07:17:13 PM »
plus one for felco shears.  i see they also make loppers, anybody tried them?

for the chainsaw, i have an oregon 16'' cordless that's about all i use these days.  it has a built in chain sharpener.  pull up on the lever and in 3-5 seconds you have a sharp chain again.  supposed to be good for 8-10 sharpenings but i've certainly gone beyond that.  you have to replace the chain with one from oregon that comes with a new sharpening stone (about $30?). 
great for anything up to 8-10'' although i've gone through a 15'' mahogany with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Cordless-CS300-A6-Chainsaw-572625/dp/B011NWVS90

about the only time i bring out the gas powered stihl is after a hurricane.

for a cutlass, i really like the tramontina machete from brazil.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 07:37:03 PM »
Thank you all for the recommendations I appreciate it.

As for getting a $40 chainsaw at harbor freight... I will use my chainsaw frequently (I have a wood fireplace) but not 'heavily' and I'd rather not have a chainsaw that will catch fire. :)
yeah right.......battery powered chainsaw for firewood.......zzzzzzzzzzz.....  Circa 1988 I used to cut firewood for a heating stove with a circular saw....

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »
Haha. I have mostly 1-2 inch diameter limbs from trees that I use for my firepit and the indoor fireplace. My larger diameter wood I split and cut out in my family's pasture an hour away. (we've collected probably 20+ chords over the years and are still working through it... :)  )
-Kris

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 10:14:22 AM »
For chainsaws, if the budget permits, Husqvarna makes the best battery powered chainsaws. The top handle variant is my favorite. There are some videos online of the Husq battery unit whipping a gas powered saw's behind (as well as kicking the butt of the equivalent Stihl model).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=husqvarna+t536li+xp
Jeff  :-)

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 02:03:33 PM »
I cheaped out and ordered this chainsaw - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AQZ9QC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's amazon so if I hate it, I'll return it. Still may get the Ryobi kit later on down the road but this one will do the trick for now... I'll let you guys know if it's a decent saw or not. Should work for felling the trees I need to drop (Except my giant palm tree)

-Kris

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 04:44:53 PM »
Haha. I have mostly 1-2 inch diameter limbs from trees that I use for my firepit and the indoor fireplace. My larger diameter wood I split and cut out in my family's pasture an hour away. (we've collected probably 20+ chords over the years and are still working through it... :)  )

Same diameter wood I cut for a wood stove with an old Black and Decker circular saw.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:00:43 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 04:51:09 PM »
I cheaped out and ordered this chainsaw - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007AQZ9QC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's amazon so if I hate it, I'll return it. Still may get the Ryobi kit later on down the road but this one will do the trick for now... I'll let you guys know if it's a decent saw or not. Should work for felling the trees I need to drop (Except my giant palm tree)

Return if you don't like. Bezos can afford it after blowing 70 billion on an upcoming divorce. I have a Ryobi non-recharge circular saw bought $12 at a garage sale. This was sad. I could tell her man had taken off and she was selling  off his stuffs for whatever!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:29:27 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »
/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:28:11 PM by zands »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »
One addition to this thread.  My wife, while in the UK, got me some Japanese clippers that I hadn’t heard of before.  I don’t have any complaints about the Felco ones I’ve used for years but the Niwaki is lighter, feels really nice, and seems to have the power of the heavier Felco.  A very nice tool.
Peter

AndreaWatsonlE

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 07:13:19 PM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 08:34:00 AM by JakeFruit »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
Hand pruner Chris uses in TT youtube vids look great.  What are they?

Cheap cordless saws i got for light work i do is black&decker 20v.
The pole saw i love, it's light & gets the job done, the sawzall is more then enough for me, the chainsaw is so-so, hedge clipper work too for minor trimming.  I use all 4 from wheelchair.
Aftermarket 3000ma battery under $20 lasts much longer then o.e. 2000ma.