Author Topic: sunburn from led lights?  (Read 5833 times)

incubator01

• Belgium, Central Europe
    • View Profile
sunburn from led lights?
« on: August 09, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
I am trying to identify weather my 3 nagami kumquat seedlings are having sunburn from being 10 - 12h / day under a small LED growlight or if this is from something else.
They are not getting direct sunlight, however they are located near a window made of milk glass, so its completely blurred and milky white, the sunlight is heavily filtered.
The LED light I use is PARUS LED grow light SOL Series (PGL-E18) specs found in english here: http://parusplantlight.com/download/e18-specifications

I keep the plants definitely more than 20cm away from the light, when turning the light off at night I spray the plants with a foliar spray sometimes, rainwater other times to maintain moisture levels.
I water with rain water every 2 - 3 days a little bit because these things have tiny roots , the rain water is mixed with an auxine based root booster and once a week I add liquid fertilizer for citrus (planfor citrus , qualifies in most areas)
They're planted in seeding soil that drains very well and also dries out nicely inside.
However the first 3 weeks I had no sign of these burn marks, only since today did I notice it.
Thing is that this happens to every citrus seedling I tried so far, tomato or chili pepper seedlings do not have this problem.
Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?
Attached are images of each plant.

CanadianCitrus

• Canada
    • View Profile
Re: sunburn from led lights?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
It’s only pumping 25 watts which is not very much right now. I’m using a 300 watt LED and I haven’t had any problems yet. Could it be damage from soluble salts?

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 08:05:44 AM »
It’s only pumping 25 watts which is not very much right now. I’m using a 300 watt LED and I haven’t had any problems yet. Could it be damage from soluble salts?

Perhaps, I have no idea, that's why I put it up here, but maybe the nutrition I added has those.
Guess they're too young for that and I'll have to stick with root booster only then for now.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 12:51:34 PM »
Nagami and Meiwa kumquat seedlings are very difficult for the first 30cm of growth.  I gave mine 16 hours from a 23 watt daylight CFL set 4 inches from the top leaves inside a bright white chamber.  I lifted the plant so that a half inch of root was showing to protect it from damp-off disease.  I use Miracle Gro 24-8-16. with 6 plants in a 1/3 liter pot till they were 15cm-20cm tall.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 01:22:02 PM »
Nagami and Meiwa kumquat seedlings are very difficult for the first 30cm of growth.  I gave mine 16 hours from a 23 watt daylight CFL set 4 inches from the top leaves inside a bright white chamber.  I lifted the plant so that a half inch of root was showing to protect it from damp-off disease.  I use Miracle Gro 24-8-16. with 6 plants in a 1/3 liter pot till they were 15cm-20cm tall.

Wow, that's pretty strong nutrition, the liquid fertiliser (sunplant citrus) I use has an NPK 11-3-6 , the slow release I use has an NPK of 16-7-15,
My seedlings right now are about 3 weeks old, I read I should repot them once they have about 4 leaves but at what age did you lift this root?

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 07:40:22 PM »
As soon as I had 3 inches of root.  Kumquats grow so slowly that it takes too long to get through the damp-off susceptible stages and are killed

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 03:29:50 AM »
As soon as I had 3 inches of root.  Kumquats grow so slowly that it takes too long to get through the damp-off susceptible stages and are killed
ok, thanks, mine aren't that far yet, I'd say the roots are maybe almost 1 inch atm.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »
For me this is a damage due to  fertilizer excess.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
I totally agree with  Ilya11, it certainly looks like fertilizer soluble salt damage.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 12:47:37 PM »
Ok, thanks.
I'll stop giving it for a while then until they're showing signs of deficiency.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 10:45:12 AM »
I seriously doubt the slight damage to incubator's tree leaves was caused by LED lighting.  I agree the leaves show soluble salts damage from the fertilizer over supply.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 02:15:21 PM »
I seriously doubt the slight damage to incubator's tree leaves was caused by LED lighting.  I agree the leaves show soluble salts damage from the fertilizer over supply.

And I too agree with your conclusion.
To try out I planted some kaffir lime seeds in the end of august, atm 2 seedlings are growing slowly but healthy and 2 are about to stick their heads out.
I did not feed them with anything at all yet, (so for one month now I watered with rain water without any kind of nutrients) and I used a soil of seeding soil mixed with some coco fiber.
They're doing very nice, good green leaves, tiny but healthy. and I put them under 14h of LED light, even placed a second one next to it to cover larger area, no problems at all.
With the kumquat seedlings and even with some adult citrus I admit I probably gave too much food and that caused this issue.

So I will wait with giving nutrients until they grow 3 pairs of true leaves and then I start with liquid fertilizer, but one that is on the weak side, because if I give a strong one right away I might kill them again.

catheshellman

• USA Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2022, 07:03:29 PM »
I suppose that sunburn can occur due to two reasons. The first is the one you mentioned, using incorrect light to grow sol plants. I have grown several different plants of this type using explosion proof LED flood lights and they took up the light quite well as the light is big and wide but not too strong and it spread evenly over each plant. And secondly, what the guys above have already said, it may be a trite excess of fertilizers, but I still lean more towards the first reason.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 04:24:42 PM by catheshellman »

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 07:08:02 AM »
I suppose that sunburn can occur due to two reasons.

I still think they died from too much nutrition like Millet said, the kaffir lime seedlings i planted in august (that I mentioned 1 posts ago) still live, though they haven't grown much yet, they are now starting, but a month ago I thought it'd be a good idea and give them a thinned out version of nutrition and root booster, I saw the same leaf damage appear not long after and some leaves were lost. But new strong vibrant green ones are growing back. These kaffir seedlings have been under a LED all winter btw.

Ever since I'm very careful with feeding seedlings, and nutrition in general.

But you did forget to add your "two reasons" so your post was incomplete

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2022, 07:50:16 AM »
What is the pot media they are planted in. Looks like 100% fine sawdust, peat or coir ??
You say Citrus has problems in it, but Tomatoes and Capsicum do not.
A small Citrus seedling will have a tap root well down into the pot thru various moisture zones, while a Capsicum seedling will have a more fibrous root system staying in the upper levels with better air and drainage. If you use the same media in taller narrow pots, the Citrus roots will be in a higher air zone for longer.
If possible check the pH of the mix with a test kit.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 04:49:25 PM »
What is the pot media they are planted in. Looks like 100% fine sawdust, peat or coir ??
You say Citrus has problems in it, but Tomatoes and Capsicum do not.
A small Citrus seedling will have a tap root well down into the pot thru various moisture zones, while a Capsicum seedling will have a more fibrous root system staying in the upper levels with better air and drainage. If you use the same media in taller narrow pots, the Citrus roots will be in a higher air zone for longer.
If possible check the pH of the mix with a test kit.

Those seedlings from the kumquat in the first post were still in seedling soil, so general seedling soil without adding coco coir or anything else.
My kaffir lime seedlings have grown beyond that stage and are already transplanted in soil with 50/50 peat/turface.

Regardless of the plant i always start out seeds in general seedling soil.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 02:20:00 AM »
Is general seedling soil a commercial product. If so any more details. Is it something normally used for flats and punnets ??

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2022, 06:29:34 PM »
Is general seedling soil a commercial product. If so any more details. Is it something normally used for flats and punnets ??

https://www.gamma.be/nl/assortiment/agrofino-zaai-en-stekgrond-40-l/p/B240061

there.
It's just standard well draining seeding soil mixed with some perlite.
Almost every commercial brand has some sort of seeding soil blend, not all recipes are the same but that doesn't matter.
The seeds germinated well in that soil; it's my fault the seedlings died.

Also the adult kumquats died too, they just couldn't handle our diverse climate, temp change and humidity and both a big 5 y/o tree and a 2y/o tree died, all leaves dropped and branches turned brown.

No kumquats for belgium that's for sure. I stick to Yuzu and shikuwasa, they work really well here :)

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2022, 07:15:45 PM »
Meiwa  and nagami are very hard to grow.  Fukushu kumquats grow much better.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2022, 06:24:30 PM »

According to oscar tintori the Fukushu is unsuited to humid areas because susceptible to phytophera.
So also not good for my region.

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2022, 11:35:32 PM »

According to oscar tintori the Fukushu is unsuited to humid areas because susceptible to phytophera.
I certainly hope not..  My healthiest trees are all Fukushu kumquats

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2022, 07:27:04 AM »

I certainly hope not..  My healthiest trees are all Fukushu kumquats

Well I got it from here: https://www.oscartintori.it/en/prodotto/changshou-kumquat/
I know it sais Changshou but according to other sites this is another name for the Fukushu kumquat.
So if their info is inaccurate, shame on them :(

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2022, 08:29:43 AM »
Fukushu = Changshou  is correct.  My area is so humid I get  mold on my car body by early spring.  If your tree is grafted to phytophera resistant rootstock it will be no problem.

incubator01

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »
Fukushu = Changshou  is correct.  My area is so humid I get  mold on my car body by early spring.  If your tree is grafted to phytophera resistant rootstock it will be no problem.

Well, like I said all the volkamerian or macrphylla rootstocks failed on me, my last kumquat died real fast in a few days, due to humidity. Same with many kaffir limes i had. Citrus on PT or citrumelo swingle perform much better here. They can take a serious beating before they die from moisture. And so far they're my favorite rootstocks :)
Granted I'm not as experienced as many of you, though I am learning and improving, but I quickly found out volkamerian and macrophylla were very sensitive compared to PT and citrumello swingle. Carrizo is also very sensitive, at least here, it also couldn't handle air humidity of 80% during early spring.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2022, 04:29:51 PM »
Thousands of citrus trees in Florida are grafted upon Carrizo. The humidity in Florida reaches up to 100%.