Author Topic: Day avocado information needed (Day variety)  (Read 4760 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Day avocado information needed (Day variety)
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
No too much on the internet about this one.
I have one in a container that wants to be planted.
  • when does it get ripe in South Florida?
  • what size are the fruits?
  • oily? watery?
  • does it have decent production?
  • decent disease and fungus resistance?
thanks! for all information, if you have this variety then even better

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Day avocado information needed (Day variety)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:05 AM »
Those of you who have mature trees, please let us know.  I planted one earlier this year, hoping the fruit will ripen after Simmonds, which I planted last year.
John

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »
I have one two years old and my neighbor has one about 5 years old.
1 September / October
2. About .5-1 lb
3. Oil.  After picked, let ripen until soft, like a ripe mamey.
4. Produces well for a five year old, several dozen mature fruit now.
5. Haven't noticed any significant disease or fungus issues.

Flavor and texture are terrific. Rich in both aspects. Must let it ripen completely or some parts will be to hard to eat.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:37:13 PM by jc »
JC

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
jc,
Can you leave them on the tree and pick them over an extended period?
John

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:22 PM »
My Day is about 35 years old. Never had a problem with it. Most of those years it was not irrigated. Now it's in a drip irrigated zone. No disease or bug problems. Virtually no fertilizer either.

Production was very low in the early years. I just didn't pay any attention to it. About half of the tree was wrecked by hurricane Wilma. It bounced back fine.

Fruit season is generally from late July through August and part of September (in Boca Raton). This year was less than the previous several years - maybe 70-80 avocados. Average weight about 1 pound, I would say. In some prior years we've had hundreds - maybe 300-400.

The seed is pretty big. The skin is smooth and shiny. Green during development, then starts to change to a beautiful shiny black. Convenient, because you know those turning black are ready to pick - no guesswork. They ripen from hard to soft and edible about 3 days - skin goes all black and goes duller. The seed pops free and rarely leaves the seed husk sticking to the fruit. The only trouble they give - and it's not a lot of trouble - comes in scooping the fruit away from the skin. Hass avocados have that hard, stiff skin and it's so easy to just run a spoon inside and zip zip, it's done. The Day skin is very soft and thin. It's easy to tear through the skin so you have to work it with a bit of care.

The taste is excellent. Very creamy texture, golden color, can be spread like butter. All in all it's a fine little avocado.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:20:54 PM »
Thanks guys for all the detailed information! Greatly appreciated and very helpful!! 8)

crazyforcherimoya

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 12:15:45 AM »
can you guys comment on the tree shape and height? I have read somewhere that it tends to be somewhat slender. That would be perfect for me as I have limited space. Can you confirm?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »
can you guys comment on the tree shape and height? I have read somewhere that it tends to be somewhat slender. That would be perfect for me as I have limited space. Can you confirm?

For me it is more important when they are ripe. Late summer I believe. It gets good reviews as far as taste. What is its productivity? I have a young Day avocado due to what I read here

Importantly...You can shape it the way you like. I have a mango tree/Kent/ that is tall and slender due to space limitations. I have modified it away from branching out wider/ though Kent already has tall tendencies/ you can tell by it being listed as a "vigorous grower"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:10:58 AM by zands »

JP_Rivas

• USA, Florida, WPB 33412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 10:52:43 PM »
What type of flowers is Day avocado ? A or B?

JP_Rivas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 10:54:21 PM »
What type of flower is Day avocado? A or B?

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »
Type B  -  See here for more info: https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/day

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 03:29:14 PM »
My Day is about 35 years old. Never had a problem with it. Most of those years it was not irrigated. Now it's in a drip irrigated zone. No disease or bug problems. Virtually no fertilizer either.

Production was very low in the early years. I just didn't pay any attention to it. About half of the tree was wrecked by hurricane Wilma. It bounced back fine.

Fruit season is generally from late July through August and part of September (in Boca Raton). This year was less than the previous several years - maybe 70-80 avocados. Average weight about 1 pound, I would say. In some prior years we've had hundreds - maybe 300-400.

The seed is pretty big. The skin is smooth and shiny. Green during development, then starts to change to a beautiful shiny black. Convenient, because you know those turning black are ready to pick - no guesswork. They ripen from hard to soft and edible about 3 days - skin goes all black and goes duller. The seed pops free and rarely leaves the seed husk sticking to the fruit. The only trouble they give - and it's not a lot of trouble - comes in scooping the fruit away from the skin. Hass avocados have that hard, stiff skin and it's so easy to just run a spoon inside and zip zip, it's done. The Day skin is very soft and thin. It's easy to tear through the skin so you have to work it with a bit of care.

The taste is excellent. Very creamy texture, golden color, can be spread like butter. All in all it's a fine little avocado.

This sounds like brogdon.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 03:38:17 PM »
No too much on the internet about this one.
I have one in a container that wants to be planted.
  • when does it get ripe in South Florida?
  • what size are the fruits?
  • oily? watery?
  • does it have decent production?
  • decent disease and fungus resistance?
thanks! for all information, if you have this variety then even better

I have one growing for around 5 years.
Very manageable, clean fruit, no disease issues.

I've tried it from many places at this point. I keep trying it due to the great reviews it gets here from various members.

My review is.
I don't like it at all.
I'm not the biggest fan of avocados but from the ones I've tried I generally like all the CA ones, super hass, brogdon and Lula.

Day is not watery but I would describe it as oily either and I don't find it that flavorful either.
To me it was pasty and flavorless.

It's a real pity I don't like it because the tree is so easy to grow and it's the perfect size.

JP_Rivas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 07:14:37 PM »
I had checked the TAF website but the nursery I buy from showed me a picture of the catalog that says it's A. That's why I was asking. I also found another website that says it's A. I emailed TAF to see if they can confirm the type.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 10:09:52 AM »
My review is.
I don't like it at all.
I'm not the biggest fan of avocados but from the ones I've tried I generally like all the CA ones, super hass, brogdon and Lula.

Day is not watery but I would describe it as oily either and I don't find it that flavorful either.
To me it was pasty and flavorless.

It's a real pity I don't like it because the tree is so easy to grow and it's the perfect size.
It looks like you're no fan of WI type.  You need the oil content.  For salads and guac that's important.  I like the others when eaten by themselves, but still hit them with a little salt.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk