Author Topic: Harris Citrus FL  (Read 3791 times)

Plantcrazy2230

• USA Michigan/southern Mason Zone 5
    • View Profile
Harris Citrus FL
« on: April 18, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
I was so pleased with the Meiwa Kumquat i received yesterday from Harris Citrus.  Excellent packing, tree was in perfect condition, nice size tree for the price!  I highlyl recommend Harris Citrus in FL for mail order Trees!  They were excellent!  :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Harris Citrus FL
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:04:50 AM »
I have seen much stock from Harris from being in Florida.   Most of it was in poor condition, neeing a lot of care and nurturing.
- Rob

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:38:21 AM »
I would not say I have never received an actual bad tree from Harris, but the ones that I have received were just OK. Most look like they were grown to close to each other. - Millet

Hershell

• U.S. Ga. Ray City zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »
I haven't been there myself but a friend told me that the trees are grown to be planted in a grove not looked at by a collector. Several of my trees are from there and have done good.

Darkman

• Pensacola, Fl 8b/9a South of I-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »
I purchased my Xie Shan from Harris. While it was a PITA to actually get the order placed I was very happy with the trees. They were potted for orchard planting (small deep pots) and were mostly whips but man did they perform. They easily outgrew the three gallon plants from other suppliers. Today they have set a multitude of fruit and will be the star this year. I would recommend them.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:31:46 AM »
Let me clarify, what I have seen that were in the 4 inch deep root starter pots looked ok (some a little whippy), it was the ones in 7 gallon sizes and up that looked as if they were and had been neglected for an extended time period from uppotting and from receiving any type of nutrients.
- Rob

Darkman

• Pensacola, Fl 8b/9a South of I-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
Let me clarify, what I have seen that were in the 4 inch deep root starter pots looked ok (some a little whippy), it was the ones in 7 gallon sizes and up that looked as if they were and had been neglected for an extended time period from uppotting and from receiving any type of nutrients.

That makes sense. I think starting with the smaller plants is better than the potted, repotted and possibly root bound plants you find at many retail stores and nurseries. The smaller ones probably will develop a superior root system and will quickly obtain the size of the initially larger plants from big pots.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:35:03 PM »
I visited these guys back when the October furlough kicked in. Their prices for pickups are unbeatable. Very nice and friendly and more than happy to just chat. I had only planned on a couple trees, but when I saw their prices and they had a few suggestions not on their website at the time, I ended up with 6 trees. All are currently doing extremely well and as someone above mentioned have done better and are bigger than my older ones I bought from a normal nursery in one to three gallon pots.

If I needed something unusual citrus-wise, these guys would be the first place I went. As of October they were the only ones selling Red Finger Limes and were so new at the time they haven't had time to get fruit.