Author Topic: Yet another soil thread  (Read 4751 times)

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another soil thread
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2023, 06:32:34 PM »
Annoyingly I have found a better soil solution. After repotting most of my citrus  ::)

It was already discussed here earlier in the topic, the kitty litter that is made from baked Danish clay. Earlier I didn't find a good place to get it. Now I found a local webshop that has alright pricing and low shipping cost despite the weight.

It's still more expensive compared to the perlite I bought. But now I think it's worth it. It's more durable than perlite, doesn't crumble. It's heavier so it doesn't float. I don't need to add sand to my substrate to make it heavier to keep my plants from blowing over. Less mixing work and no risk of sand sinking to the bottom in the pots. I have never seen the Seramis clay substrate in person, but I think it's the same material as the kitty litter, except for an outrageous price.

Perlite -> 0,20 €/kg
Danish clay kitty litter -> 0,55 €/kg
Seramis baked clay -> 1,00 €/kg

Gave the kitty litter quick wash to get the dust off:

20 L bags

Now I just have to figure out the ratio. This is 40% baked clay, 30% coco coir, 30% light potting soil.

Previous mix was:
25% coco coir, 25% light potting soil, 25% sand, 25% perlite

I think perlite holds more water, because it's not as dense, so to compensate I thought maybe to use 40% inorganic material instead of 50%. I'm not sure how much water the baked clay retains compared to sand.

10 L of the kitty litter clay weighs 5.0 kg
10 L of the perlite weighs 1.2 kg

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2023, 08:30:51 PM »
That litter looks like rocks in the photo. American cat litter is grey clay. It's the kind of clay that holds the most water possible so a little goes a long way to increasing water retention. I don't know if that is the same or not.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2023, 06:08:25 AM »
That litter looks like rocks in the photo. American cat litter is grey clay. It's the kind of clay that holds the most water possible so a little goes a long way to increasing water retention. I don't know if that is the same or not.

There are all kinds of litter materials, this 'baked Danish clay' is not a very common type here either, this brand is probably the only one that offers it and they offer maybe 10 different types of litter, including the grey clay, which would have very different properties.

sheaper

• USA, SC, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2023, 11:50:14 AM »
I have yet to find anything even close to as good as what MadisonCitrus uses. 
It is a very chunky non-processed and organically viable version of blonde peat moss and citrus THRIVES in it. 
I also found that blackberries grow like gangbusters in the stuff too.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2023, 11:59:25 AM »
It is a very chunky non-processed and organically viable version of blonde peat moss and citrus THRIVES in it. 

Public import records show that like some other citrus nurseries in the south, a citrus mix is being imported supplied by Klasmann-Deilmann; I don't know if there's anyone reselling their mix, but it might be worth reaching out to them and inquiring about potential suppliers.

sheaper

• USA, SC, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2023, 07:18:07 AM »

Public import records show that like some other citrus nurseries in the south, a citrus mix is being imported supplied by Klasmann-Deilmann; I don't know if there's anyone reselling their mix, but it might be worth reaching out to them and inquiring about potential suppliers.

That is exactly what it is... I have 2 more bales left.  It is available through through their website as well as their slow release fertilizer....(also the best IMO)

Hershel has told me multiple times personally that he keeps no secrets and is happy to help anyone learn more about becoming better growers both in ground and in pots.  Compared to my previous 5-1-1, 5-1-2 mixes over the past 5 years im seeing probably double almost triple the growth rates as well as more lush and healthy looking plants when using  the mix and fertilizer that Hershel uses.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2023, 05:12:50 PM »
kitty litter that is made from baked Danish clay.

That product looks good, it has a range of particle sizes and also shapes and edges to give structure to the pot mix.
Perfectly round Hydroponic clay balls are larger and all the same size and shape, so don't perform as well in my opinion.
I assume the Danish clay Cat Litter clay is fired enough in the kiln so it doesn't dissolve like other non fired clay cat litter.
Looking at the pics of your finished mix, I would say it doesn't look integrated enough.
ie the clay particles are floating in coir /pot soil more than structurally separating it.
You may need another inert smaller particle component in there for structure and drainage channels.
Anyway, that is just my opinion from looking, not on using the mix under your conditions, which are different mine.
You could possibly up the clay particles % in the lower 1/3 section of the pot to slightly increase drainage and lower the water holding/ sponge of he coir.
We don't have that type of Kitty Litter in Australia, but it seems like an ideal choice compared to perlite that floats and crumbles.

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2023, 07:06:12 PM »
I assume the Danish clay Cat Litter clay is fired enough in the kiln so it doesn't dissolve like other non fired clay cat litter.

Yes, it doesn't dissolve, at least not so far. It's kinda like terracotta pebbles I think.

Looking at the pics of your finished mix, I would say it doesn't look integrated enough.
ie the clay particles are floating in coir /pot soil more than structurally separating it.
You may need another inert smaller particle component in there for structure and drainage channels.

I could maybe add a little bit of sand, but not much or otherwise it wouldn't be captured as well into the fibers and create risk again of it sinking to the bottom of the pots.
I do try to mix the clay pebbles as well as I can, but the coco coir has some longer fibers as well and the potting soil is also a bit mulchy, so it all clumps a little bit.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2023, 05:56:05 PM »
Millet, do you use the Turface MVP for plants, or the giant 50 lb bag for baseball fields?
 Quite a price difference...

Carolyn

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2023, 09:34:23 AM »
I purchase the giant 50 lb bag for baseball fields

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2023, 10:11:15 AM »
Thanks! On my way to the landscape supply place in a few!

Peep

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2023, 01:41:30 PM »
Doe anyone have experience with 'redstone' that is used for birds? Instead of turface

https://www.versele-laga.com/en/be/colombine/products/colombine-redstone
crude ash 98.5%, calcium 0.2%, sodium 0.05%, phosphorus 0.05%

Turface isn't really available here, at least I can't find it. I'm happy with the baked clay kitty litter that I use now, but maybe it's possible to find this redstone stuff cheaper. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk