Author Topic: Has beans making a comeback this Xmas  (Read 4134 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Has beans making a comeback this Xmas
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:57:03 AM »

I used to grow many kinds of beans including a variety of kidney,soy,limas and about 12 types of snake beans.I kinda got sick of them but now I am getting interesting in legumes again.My Christmas Lima vine is pumping the beans out now and I find myself once again hunting for other bean seeds to plant.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Has beans making a comeback this Xmas
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:12:11 AM »
Neat looking beans Mike. Can you please describe taste and also growth pattern of these plants?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:30:22 AM »
Oscar Xmas beans are used the same way as limas and you cannot eat the green beans.The flavor is richer than the common white lima and I understand they are more nutritious.I soak dry beans in water and use them in a variety of ways as per limas and kidneys.The vines are long lived, big and super productive with my one vine spazzing out with pods everywhere.They resemble jicama vines and need support.If it wasn't dark I'd take a snap.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:29:10 AM »
Thanks for the info. How long is long lived? Wondering if these are the ones i read about that live several years?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:43:45 AM »
I don't know Oscar but the person who sent the original seed had a vine two years old.I had a common wing bean vine for maybe 5 years and it would die back each dry season and spring back from the ground when temps and rain increased each year.They must have tubers under the ground.I know wing beans are highly regarded but I guess you'd remember if it was a popular species/variety.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
Winged beans do have tubers  and they're edible.
Tim

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »

I used to grow many kinds of beans including a variety of kidney,soy,limas and about 12 types of snake beans.I kinda got sick of them but now I am getting interesting in legumes again.My Christmas Lima vine is pumping the beans out now and I find myself once again hunting for other bean seeds to plant.

Perennial Madagascar beans which I understand is same as Christmas bean. This gal has a large perennial hedge of them. They are large lima beans.
perennial madagascar bean

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
That is it, Madagascar beans are the same thing as the Xmas beans.That vine is just like mine.

Thanks for the winged bean info Tim, I didn't know that.They are very popular with local SE Asian people and are one of the best tasting fresh 'beans' in my opinion.They sell vary fast at the markets.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »
Thanks Zands. That is the youtube video i saw and was wondering if these 2 are the same. Looks like a great bean to grow! I hope they taste as great as they look. A very pretty bean!!
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:20:02 AM »
Thanks Zands. That is the youtube video i saw and was wondering if these 2 are the same. Looks like a great bean to grow! I hope they taste as great as they look. A very pretty bean!!

No problemo plus I even emailed the woman (Sharon) in the video (permaculture teacher in Australia near where MikeT lives) and she said Madagascar=Christmas as far as beans go. Lima beans to be more exact. I always knew lima beans had a tropical origin. Northern climate this bean is annual. Hot climate it can be perennial, meaning (in this case) the vine will last 3-4 years

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »

No problemo plus I even emailed the woman (Sharon) in the video (permaculture teacher in Australia near where MikeT lives) and she said Madagascar=Christmas as far as beans go. Lima beans to be more exact. I always knew lima beans had a tropical origin. Northern climate this bean is annual. Hot climate it can be perennial, meaning (in this case) the vine will last 3-4 years

Wow, im really looking forward to growing them. Ain't nothing better in this world than lima bean soup. (Well maybe fava bean soup?)
Oscar

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »
I'm gonna have to get some these beans.  Southern exposure seed exchange has them for sale if anyone is interested.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »
Mike, if you've got extras, I'd be very grateful to recieve one when next we exchange parcels.
I'm hoping we get a good crop of jabs this year so I can send up some of my aunts secret recipe jab jam.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 08:26:35 PM »
No worries BMc and I have a couple of things up my sleeve that could tickle your fancy.

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:30 PM »
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 06:52:30 AM »
Hi Mike,
Awesome harvest of beans 8) I am going to grow some fantastic beans next year...winged beans the works ;) Mike, you make some stew and it's almost cooked around 10-15min left, pop a hand full of these beans and you will see how delish they are in stew...don't forget about them soups too ;)

Hi Oscar,
My mom makes a killa tomato and fava bean stew...them fava beans are super rich and a red meat substitute ;) With fresh mature fava's you should remove the ''eye'' cause it makes the stew or soup dark  :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!