Author Topic: Pernambuco Pineaapple  (Read 5536 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Pernambuco Pineaapple
« on: April 20, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
I am searching for a source of propagation slips for the pineapple variety Pernambuco. Thank you for your help.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Pernambuco Pineaapple
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »
A few years back I bought what was being sold as Pernambuco on ebay. When it finally fruited, it ended up being an A. bracteatus plant and not an actual pineapple. I hope you have better luck finding Pernambuco than I did.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »
Evidently, in the past Pernambuco pineapples were a rather common planted pineapple, especially in South Florida.  Today it seems almost no one has heard about them.  Both Dr. Manners, and Dr. Julian W. Sauls have told me that the Pernambuuco was the best tasting pineapple they have eaten.  So far, after a years search I am still at zero in locating a source. - Millet

snhabegger

• Nick
    • Edmonton, Canada, Zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
Julia Morton conflates 'Pernambuco' with 'Abacaxi', and seems to consider it one of the major classes of pineapple cultivars.  I don't know if these two are still considered synonyms, but maybe looking for the latter variety would do the trick?  Alternately, presumably Brazilian sources would have this variety, though it might be tricky getting it across a border.

Note:  apparently Abacaxi is not the easiest variety to find, either . . .
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:40:14 PM by snhabegger »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »
Some years ago Pernambuco pineapple was a commercial pineapple, grown by many growers.  Its fruit was widely known because of its exceptionally good flavor. Pernambuco's only sin was that the fruit brused easily, therefore was not a good shipper. This is of course is not a problem with the home grower.  With the advent of newer pineapple cultavars such as Smooth Cayenne, Pernambuco commercial life was quickly discarded, and evidently forgotten my most people of today. - Millet

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 07:23:58 AM »
Millet

Have you tried requesting tissue culture pineapples from USDA?  Pernambuco is accession number 14 on this link:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=18480
Brad

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:39:06 AM »
Bump.
Just curious if anyone has found this variety.

Here is the GRIN accession. Anyone want to order? I would but someone with access to in vitro or a nursery owner would be a better idea.
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1431827
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:57:43 AM by kevin8715 »
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »
I would be interested also in getting some.

Bill

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 12:45:29 AM »
Bump.
Just curious if anyone has found this variety.

Here is the GRIN accession. Anyone want to order? I would but someone with access to in vitro or a nursery owner would be a better idea.
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1431827

I ordered it myself since no one seems interested. Told them about the situation that no commercial sources exist and that I'm a private individual. Looks like only one will be sent in a while, so it will take one poneapple growing cycle before I can start offering them here in very limited amounts (# of pups one plant produces).
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

kevin8715

• CA Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
I got the pineapple finally. Really tiny, but tissue cultured so it will probably grow faster. It will take two pineapple growing cycles to share it in any significant quantity. The first grow cycle I will share maybe 1-2 depending on sucker production to a Californian or Floridian for the purpose of the grow outs being faster there since they could put it in the ground. Though one question, if I cut the flower off  :o :'( por the purpose of making more suckers will it work. I am willing to sacrifice my first taste to be able to multiply this rare pineapple out.
Sunset Zone 21 Hotttttt

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
Nice work Kevin. Hope it grows quickly so that you can share in the future.

Michael
Michael

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »
pernambuco/abacaxi pineapple.

i am raising a pineapple that i bought as a "sugarloaf," but that does not resemble the "kona sugarloaf."  it was collected as a survivor of the pineapple industry of about a hundred years ago in punta gorda (s.w. florida).  a forum member suggested that it might be an "abacaxi" pineapple which was one of the varieties raised in south florida in the early days.   i did some research on the web. 

i have found some information and some confusion.  it appears that "abacaxi" in brasil means pineapples in general, whereas outside of brasil, "abacaxi" refers to a particular variety of pineapple often referred to as "pernambuco" from the area in brasil where it is raised.  to add to this confusion, many of the articles i found were written in portuguese, which i do not speak.

sifting through all this, what i have come to believe is that the abacaxi (a.k.a. pernambuco) is a fairly large fruited pineapple - up to 11 lb / 5 kg.
it is sweet, juicy, and strongly fragrant when ripe.
it is conical in shape, its base wider than the top.

unfortunately, all i have is a plant with an emerging blossom.  the blossom does not resemble the blossom on a sugarloaf, but i have been unable to find a labelled pic on the web of an abacaxi in early blossom.

"punta gorda survivor"

"kona sugarloaf"  from just fruits and exotics in medart fl.

when the p. g. survivor ripens, perhaps i will know more.  all i know for sure now is that it isn't a kona sugarloaf.

if it is a tall, conical fruit - juicy, sweet, and fragrant, it's probably an abacaxi.  ...but then again, it could also be a red spanish...  ...or possibly a seed germinated and it's something new...   i won't know until late summer or so.   ...maybe.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:28:22 PM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

Doug_Oat

• Gainesville, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 12:26:13 PM »
From doing a ton of research on home pineapple growing, i have come to the conclusion this is the variety i would like to try and was wondering if anyone had success growing theirs? Also if anyone was willing to sell any slips/suckers? Thanks in advance

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 07:45:03 PM »
From doing a ton of research on home pineapple growing, i have come to the conclusion this is the variety i would like to try and was wondering if anyone had success growing theirs? Also if anyone was willing to sell any slips/suckers? Thanks in advance

Have you tried growing any pineapple varieties before? Or will this be your first pineapple?