Author Topic: USPS delaying packages  (Read 7082 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
USPS delaying packages
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:06:49 PM »
My orders that shipped in the last week or 2 are being severely delayed.  I have 4 or 5 outstanding orders for fruit boxes.  I am probably going to refund any that are outside CA.  I will message everyone personally and let you all know.  But I want to throw this out there because plants and fruit need to go fast and they are playing stupid political games and affecting working class people like me who use the post office.  I can't run a business if that's how they operate, I will have to get setup with UPS.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:18:24 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: USPS delaying packages
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 12:49:21 AM »
Yeah.  Stuff sits in the Honolulu airport before it leaves for the mainland. 

But man the UPS/fedex gonna be $$$

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 08:00:39 AM »
I had a check, sent within the same county, take 2 weeks to arrive.

Don't know how you can do business sending fruit and plants with USPS, now that they have been debilitated. 

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:33:41 AM »
Same here. Been selling online for nearly a decade. Mostly seeds and plants. I used to get 2-3 mishaps by USPS a year. Now I'm getting up to 5+ a month. Having to replace stuff left and right. Buyers act like the seller is at fault 80%+ of the time. Like I'm supposed to hand deliver your package.

Getting crazy! Heard UPS and FedEx aren't doing much better but I don't use them personally.
Trying to grow it all!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
I use Fedex for business and also customarily receive letters and packages from UPS.  Other ther than minor delays caused by weather (mainly Tropical Storm/Hurricane Isaias), I have encountered no delays or problems with either.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
Very sorry to hear to hear how this is affecting everyone who used to depend on USPS, and I realize how infuriating it must be.  But this is coming from the very top, folks--political operatives who have put in place to debilitate postal service and wreak havoc.  It's not your everyday postal workers.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:49:34 AM by johnb51 »
John

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:53:11 AM »
I heard that the post office has been disabling the mail sorting machines. Why?

I noticed that Amazon orders with prime recently have estimated delivery times pushed out a few days extra now.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »
I heard that the post office has been disabling the mail sorting machines. Why?

I noticed that Amazon orders with prime recently have estimated delivery times pushed out a few days extra now.

I believe Amazon is due to Covid issues and the seller's delays and increase in volume relating to Covid.
- Rob

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 01:00:15 PM »
Gearing up for that election fraud...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 01:36:56 PM »
Gearing up for that election fraud...

Planting the seed (no pun intended).  Lol
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
this alone is grounds for dismissal of anyone, everyone, and anything responsible

...neccessito muchos packages...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 02:23:44 PM by roblack »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 02:33:42 PM »
We switched to fedex and it’s great.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
The contractor FedEx uses in our area refuses to come to our address, and routinely marks the manifest as "address attempted" though we will be waiting out front for them all day. If they do come, they never knock or use the doorbell when a signature is required, and we don't have a locked gate/ dog yard.

This is not unique, and we hear about it a lot.

It just means a 60 mile round trip drive any time we need something that they have in their possession.

I will use just about anyone else.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »
I use Fedex for business and also customarily receive letters and packages from UPS.  Other ther than minor delays caused by weather (mainly Tropical Storm/Hurricane Isaias), I have encountered no delays or problems with either.

FedEx Express is definitely better than USPS, but FedEx Ground sucks.

I had a FedEx ground package sit at the same FedEx facility for 4 days last week. I also had a USPS priority mail envelope take 13 days to travel about 30 miles this month.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »
Yea there was more money for the post office in the Senate's stimulus package but the House left for recess and has only returned to protest.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »
Yeah I have had seeds, mangoes, and nonperishable stuff take longer than expected. I didn't realize it was intentional.
- Val

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 06:39:28 PM »

FedEx Express is definitely better than USPS, but FedEx Ground sucks.

I had a FedEx ground package sit at the same FedEx facility for 4 days last week. I also had a USPS priority mail envelope take 13 days to travel about 30 miles this month.

Yes, I should have clarified I only ship Fedex Air.
- Rob

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
Like most things in politics and corporate America it is us little guys that get the short end of the stick. Despite complaints for decades the USPS has generally done a decent job until recently. Hopefully it will again in the near future.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 07:06:19 PM »
When using fedex never use signature required their delivery estimate time is awful and worst they might not even deliver.  I had day off from work and waited all day for a package.  It never came so they gave me a different window for next day but i had work.  Lol a month later i finally got it and package was badly damaged that i had to file a claim.  Another month i finally got my refund. :/ i always liked usps better and maybe got lucky with my scions and got them in 2 days just a week ago.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 07:40:24 PM »
Hello...
I had to return the money from 4 transactions.There were all with clients from California. All packages took from 13 to 17 days. The heat wave count too.The only way, the expensive express mail

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 10:26:14 PM »
Like most things in politics and corporate America it is us little guys that get the short end of the stick. Despite complaints for decades the USPS has generally done a decent job until recently. Hopefully it will again in the near future.

This is what happens when presidents appoint political fundraisers and loyalists to high level positions rather than someone who actually has any experience in anything having to do with the position.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 11:30:56 PM »
The USPS delivery times were badly affected by the pandemic, due to less flights, and many other reasons. Now the strictly political monkey wrenching of the postal service has made matters a whole lot worse.
I just had a customer order something on Friday, and expect express mail delivery on Monday. (There is no overnight delivery by EMS from Hawaii. It is 2-3 days.) This is not possible in the best of times. It's really laughable. I think we all need to become more realistic and greatly adjust our previous high expectations. Welcome to 3rd world postal system.
Oscar

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
The USPS delivery times were badly affected by the pandemic, due to less flights, and many other reasons. Now the strictly political monkey wrenching of the postal service has made matters a whole lot worse.
I just had a customer order something on Friday, and expect express mail delivery on Monday. (There is no overnight delivery by EMS from Hawaii. It is 2-3 days.) This is not possible in the best of times. It's really laughable. I think we all need to become more realistic and greatly adjust our previous high expectations. Welcome to 3rd world postal system.

3rd world postal services with prices equivalent to buying precious metals and gemstones does not compute :o

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »
But think how much tax money we are saving by eliminating all overtime for USPS employees!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 03:02:13 PM »
This is hitting small businesses (all of them not just us) incredibly hard- there is not a reliable second option (just had FedEx miss their 5th out of 6 overnight deliveries) nor an affordable one.

I have personally decided to put a hiatus on shipping any tropicals, only cacti for now-

Maybe these hearing will shake up some anger but realistically I think the best we can hope for is the asshat at the top gets removed with a new administration.

At least we aren't (to my knowledge) relying on life saving medications to be delivered