Author Topic: Group seed order from Brazil-Order Here + sorted out!  (Read 11552 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Group seed order from Brazil-Order Here + sorted out!
« on: November 22, 2021, 09:17:59 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am planning a group order from Andre to order some new seeds. I didn't expect so many people to be interested, so I am making this thread to keep things organized.

Here is the google doc I made with all the seed prices and availibility.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wU4S08SesQrfc1_TmefDWmNSwoDEeDMhFcmmuZ-6Kx4/edit?usp=sharing
Minimum order of 10 seeds per species - If you want less than 10 seeds, you will need to share with someone else.
Here is how the order is going to go -
-People interested in buying choose their seeds.
-Once deadline happens, I tell seller what we are buying and how many
-seller to determine how much it will be (phytosanitary and shipping and other fees)
-The shipping and phytosanitary cert. cost and fees will be distributed evenly between people buying seeds.
-Costs will be calculated and I will let you know how much you need to pay (seeds you are buying + your share of fees)
-You will pay me, then I will pay seller
-Seeds are shipped
-I receive seeds in US and ship to you.

This is for USA only. (No international buyers)

The advantages of doing a group order is that we all save on shipping and phytosanitary cert. costs as these can be pretty high.
Also the order allows people to buy fewer amounts of seeds while still getting a good deal on shipping etc.

Please post or pm me what seeds you are interested in buying and I'll add you to the google sheets.

Questions, Comments, and other remarks are welcomed below :) .

. The list caps out at 10, after that you will need to communicate with others...Want to share seeds? Try contacting someone on that list. I do not have the time to ship more than 15 packages to different people. If you live near someone on the list, consider adding orders together or getting them to ship to you.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Olxdd_ZJ2tWz6y7y1KlPma_9nXOJEjcjiyVdti85yI4/edit?usp=sharing

Update 11/25/21:
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Also the seller has sent me a LOT of pictures. I'll upload them tomorrow so everyone can decide.
Once again, if you have not sent me a pm with what you are buying by november 27, you are NOT on the order and will be left off. Sorry for the short notice...but if we take more time deciding, the seeds could go bad, and I still need to collect payment for the seeds also.

List caps of at 10. Please realize that it is first come first serve, unless I have talked with you before, you are not on after 10 people.
Will update list later tonight. Right now there are 8 people confirmed, (1 person is representing a group of others)

Update 11/25/21

Order is finished...This means that I am accepting no new people to the list. People who have already pmd me can change their order.
If you have sent me a pm, you will be added to the list. I will update the list. I need everyone's order by the 27th.

Please read last couple of posts on this thread - I need everyone's cooperation. Thanks for understanding and have a happy turkey day!

Update 11/26/21:
Order is closing I need everyone to review what you are buying before I let seller know. It's getting crazy, so I need all of you peoples cooperation. I'll get back to you if the order is good once seller responds after I send list and will calculate payments. Then we collect payment (Everyone can cooperate please?) Anyway, have a great weekend.

Please read newest post.

We are in the payment stage, I sent out pms to everyone on the order. Best,
Ryan
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 10:02:10 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Group seed order from Brazil
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 09:36:08 PM »
Interested, thanks for setting this up. What is the currency listed on the seed list?

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 09:38:27 PM »
Im interested as well.... also confused on currency cada?
Bill

shilohtech

• USA, Hawaii/Oahu, Mililani, 12a
    • View Profile
    • Grow Tropical Fruits Youtube Page
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 10:08:26 PM »
Interested as well.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 10:10:19 PM »
I am interested,

ps: cada means 'each' in Portuguese.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 10:54:28 PM »
So, when it says 5,00 cada, is that $5 a seed or $5 for ten seeds

joe_OC

• Huntington Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 11:34:04 PM »
Per Seed...

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 12:43:04 AM »
Are you getting a permit coming into the US? Is the phytosanitary something required coming from brazil?
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

BenjaminJohnson

• USA,WA,Bellevue,8B
    • View Profile
    • https://eastsidegardening.etsy.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 02:09:34 AM »
Interested.  Thanks!

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 07:00:34 AM »
Are you getting a permit coming into the US? Is the phytosanitary something required coming from brazil?
Seller ships with phytosanitary, not sure if it is required. I assume that there is no reason for a small lots of seed permit if there is a phyto. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 08:41:35 AM »
I want to point out that for one seed it’s like $5 each but if you buy…let’s say 5 seeds..it’s like $16 total. The list
Given to jaboticaba45 is for ‘cada’. Check Andres other list which he posted a few days ago.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »
I apologize. Got confused with Andres Pires and huertasurbanas. Brazil and Argentina. I thought they where related somehow. Sorry again.

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 11:29:31 AM »
If anyone is interested, I wouldn't mind sharing seeds like jaboticaba45 mentioned, as I don't need but 3-5. Preferably more precocious varieties.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 11:40:00 AM »
Also interested in sharing! Plinia, Eugenia, Annona maybe a few others

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 12:11:21 PM »
Seller ships with phytosanitary, not sure if it is required. I assume that there is no reason for a small lots of seed permit if there is a phyto. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
You still need a permit even with Phyto-

I have one and may be able to assist with this part

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 12:18:54 PM »
You still need a permit even with Phyto-

I have one and may be able to assist with this part
Thanks for the heads up. Order will not be placed until I can secure a permit. Let me know of what you have in mind.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 12:53:38 PM »
From my experience the turn around time of getting a permit is pretty quick.

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »
One of the items on the inventory provided that interests me is Bacupari (G. Gardneriana).

Just wondering if anybody out there can render a verdict on both the adaptability and fruit quality of
Bacupari vs. Achachairu (G. Humilis). Among the usual list of Florida sellers - PIN, Everglades and  Plantogram, Achachairu is the one that's always offered.

I'm currently growing a handful of Luc's Garcinia in the shade of some canopy (but without special protection otherwise) here on the No. Central Calif. Coast without incident so far, and am curious to know if I can expect Luc's to be the toughest of the bunch. Thanks for any input.

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 02:50:32 PM »
Do you have any description for the many varieties offered, such as fruit to seed ratio, Brix/sweetness, fruit size, and precociousness? 
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 02:57:29 PM »
Yes Luc’s is the toughest of the bunch, and still a dioecious, 20 year total longshot for coastal nor cal.
Aichacharu is one of the tastiest Garcinia’s, I enjoy them alot more than mangosteen, but I’ve killed them all multiple times.  quote author=Pedroboy link=topic=45745.msg445485#msg445485 date=1637692736]
One of the items on the inventory provided that interests me is Bacupari (G. Gardneriana).

Just wondering if anybody out there can render a verdict on both the adaptability and fruit quality of
Bacupari vs. Achachairu (G. Humilis). Among the usual list of Florida sellers - PIN, Everglades and  Plantogram, Achachairu is the one that's always offered.

I'm currently growing a handful of Luc's Garcinia in the shade of some canopy (but without special protection otherwise) here on the No. Central Calif. Coast without incident so far, and am curious to know if I can expect Luc's to be the toughest of the bunch. Thanks for any input.
[/quote]

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 03:56:37 PM »
Hi Jaboticaba45,
I have a permit also.  It is super easy to get the stuff to your seller.
Someone with a current permit (me or Elouicious for example, or you, if you get one. Permits are good for several years.) just scans in the next mailing label in their possession.
Then email the pdf or jpeg of the label to the exporter.  Tell them to print it IN COLOR. I usually tell them to print it larger than real size because the printing is so small on them.  Each label can only be used once. They are individually numbered.

They attach it to the outside of the package.
They ALSO need to provide a seed list, such as the one attached here.  The list must contain certain things (permit #, etc).  I usually send them a list with my name, #, etc.  Then they list the seeds, who collected them and where.

The package gets shipped to the USDA center on the permit label.  They go through it then send it on.  My port is Seattle, because it is close to me, the folks there are really nice, AND it is not ridiculously busy like the Florida ports.

Anyway, if you need help, just holler.  I do this all the time when I travel.  I mail dozens of packages home from trips.

Also, IF the phyto is costing you money, you can send this way WITHOUT a phyto. Cheap, easy.

Cheers,
Carolyn

sbpalms

• Santa Barbara, California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 04:47:11 PM »
Interested. Sent a PM.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 07:39:40 PM »
Hi Jaboticaba45,
I have a permit also.  It is super easy to get the stuff to your seller.
Someone with a current permit (me or Elouicious for example, or you, if you get one. Permits are good for several years.) just scans in the next mailing label in their possession.
Then email the pdf or jpeg of the label to the exporter.  Tell them to print it IN COLOR. I usually tell them to print it larger than real size because the printing is so small on them.  Each label can only be used once. They are individually numbered.

They attach it to the outside of the package.
They ALSO need to provide a seed list, such as the one attached here.  The list must contain certain things (permit #, etc).  I usually send them a list with my name, #, etc.  Then they list the seeds, who collected them and where.

The package gets shipped to the USDA center on the permit label.  They go through it then send it on.  My port is Seattle, because it is close to me, the folks there are really nice, AND it is not ridiculously busy like the Florida ports.

Anyway, if you need help, just holler.  I do this all the time when I travel.  I mail dozens of packages home from trips.

Also, IF the phyto is costing you money, you can send this way WITHOUT a phyto. Cheap, easy.

Cheers,
Carolyn
Thanks for the information Carolyn! That is very helpful. Unfortunately I think we will still need a phytosanitary as it will not be able to leave Brazil due to their strict customs. I'll ask you for help if need be.
Best,
Ryan

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 09:40:43 PM »
Yes Luc’s is the toughest of the bunch, and still a dioecious, 20 year total longshot for coastal nor cal.
Aichacharu is one of the tastiest Garcinia’s, I enjoy them alot more than mangosteen, but I’ve killed them all multiple times.  quote author=Pedroboy link=topic=45745.msg445485#msg445485 date=1637692736]

[/quote]

G. gardneriana, bacupari, is native from the Amazon to the South of Brazil (zone 9), but not in coastal areas. (I'm not sure it's salt tolerant.) The fruit is bittersweet to sweet, ripening from May to July in the Northern hemisphere.

G. humilis, achachairu, is native to Bolivia and high deserts.  This could be a dry zone 9.  If you're more inland, this might work for you, though coastal fog may be a factor as is salt.  The flavor is sweet and lightly acidic, ripening June/July in the Northern hemisphere.

This info is from "Frutas no Brasil" by Harri Lorenzi, pp 213-215.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 10:56:24 PM »
Do you have any description for the many varieties offered, such as fruit to seed ratio, Brix/sweetness, fruit size, and precociousness?
I don't have any descriptions of the varieties offered, google is going to be your best friend. Here is a link to the seller's original thread with some pictures/ descriptions: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=42000.0