Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Fertilizer question

<< < (2/2)

AndrewAZ:
Well, I was buying small, 15 $ bag of guava fertilizer online.  It perked mine up.  But, I think I can do cheaper. 
I have alkaline, clay soil and I was not fertilizing them at all.  They were all light green and puny.  Started fertilizing and they turned dark green and look a million times better.

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Jaboticaba45 on May 17, 2022, 05:09:36 PM ---

This is what 8-3-9 does when you spread it a couple of times a year.
This is the third time I had to heavily prune the guava. It's already about to hit the ceiling.

--- End quote ---
I awlays pinch ne terminals of the new shoots after they make 3-4-5 sets of leaves, this sure keeps them compact and bushy but i wonder if i'm not hindering the blooming that way.....

K-Rimes:

--- Quote from: Jaboticaba45 on May 17, 2022, 05:09:36 PM ---

This is what 8-3-9 does when you spread it a couple of times a year.
This is the third time I had to heavily prune the guava. It's already about to hit the ceiling.

--- End quote ---

Guavas are all ridiculous growers for me. They often go from 1g to 15g in one year if potted. I'm giving up on a lot of them for container culture and putting them in ground.

Re: flowers, they flower off new and old growth so pinching shouldn't effect flowering much. I do the same for most plants, I prefer a bushy look that holds the fruit better. Long spindly arms = too heavy and lean over with fruit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version