Author Topic: Can I grow any type of theobroma if my neighbors have dogs?  (Read 641 times)

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Can I grow any type of theobroma if my neighbors have dogs?
« on: September 04, 2022, 08:02:48 PM »
I don’t want any leaves or anything to end up making their dogs sick, considering all parts of theobroma affect them
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Can I grow any type of theobroma if my neighbors have dogs?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 09:19:38 PM »
Theobromine poisoning is by weight, so the bigger the dog the more it would need to ingest to get hurt/die. The seeds have the highest concentration but young leaves do contain the alkaloid. 100mg/kg is the danger zone for dogs. Question is would a dog even like munching on the leaves, maybe a fruit pod... definitely some chocolate lol. My dog loves chocolate. She tends to avoid the various plants that I have that are poisonous, but loves eating grass.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 08:59:20 AM »
I grow cacao commercially and have several dogs. None have been affected negatively at any time. Interestingly, they crave the old, dried up shells that litter the ground.
Peter

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:57:22 AM »
It's so considerate of you to be worried about your neighbor's dogs.
I have found the leaves are fairly heavy so they don't blow around much. Keeping the trees away from the fenceline should put your mind at ease.

Carolyn

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 03:58:52 PM »
Same with Avocados and grapes. Supposed to be a No No for dogs. Around here Foxes eat both types fruit, and dried raisins.
Every farm dog I have seen usually eats all three, if the farm grows it. Most seem to live normal length lives.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 10:50:07 PM »
Same with Avocados and grapes. Supposed to be a No No for dogs. Around here Foxes eat both types fruit, and dried raisins.
Every farm dog I have seen usually eats all three, if the farm grows it. Most seem to live normal length lives.

Grapes being poisonous to dogs is a complete myth. If anything they'd choke to death on a seeded grape, barring that nobody has ever identified a toxic compound in grapes that is deadly to pooches.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 11:03:09 PM »
Grapes being poisonous to dogs is a complete myth. If anything they'd choke to death on a seeded grape, barring that nobody has ever identified a toxic compound in grapes that is deadly to pooches.

I was wondering if the grapes they tested were treated with post harvest fungicides ?? That could be more of a problem for certain animals ?
Even I don't enjoy Imported grapes that much.
Farm dogs are eating fresh grapes and fresh dried raisins, not store bought fruit.
Still it doesn't seem to stack up to the level of warnings.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk