Author Topic: Pinia 'Shawi' Germination  (Read 484 times)

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Pinia 'Shawi' Germination
« on: October 09, 2022, 08:45:08 PM »
How were other people's germination rates, especially those from Dada this spring? I got one out of 20. Not suggesting bad handling or anything, just hoping I didn't screw the rest up. It's been getting morning sun, even through the heat wave, so not as sun-intolerant as I'd heard.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Pinia 'Shawi' Germination
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 10:45:28 PM »
1 for 20?!
I wish I ordered 20.
I got 5 from dada All sprouted. I gave two to a friend. The squirrels ate two. and I have 1 nice one. If I protected we would be golden.
I have a plina salticola finally poking up after 1 year and 4 months. They sprout and sometimes die but will resprout if the conditions right.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 11:12:18 PM »
Dang. The rest of mine are going moldy. I can see white mold (or fungus) coming up through the soil surface on a few of them. I've been trying to keep them drier, but I think it's a lost cause. Maybe I'll try digging them up and cleaning them tomorrow. Unfortunately I planted the other 19 in one soil mix, and this one in an old tall pot with a different mix from something that died. Kept the 19 indoors, let this one do its thing outside. So probably my bad :/

At least I have one. Hopefully these can graft to cambuca. Nice job getting all 5 to sprout.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 11:26:38 PM »
I've said it 1000 times before and I'll say it 1000 times again, 100% vermiculite for sprouting seeds- yes it is expensive but when you are spending so much money on these seeds it is worth it-

I had 100% germination from dada, which was 3/3 iirc

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 08:03:42 AM »
I'll be honest with all these rare seeds I kinda just chuck them in a pot and wait.
That should work with common species, but when each seeds is $5+ I need a different plan lol.
Like elouicious said, vermiculite works pretty good
 in the first stages for me.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »
from gardenersworld.com

What are vermiculite used for?
Vermiculite helps to aerate soil while simultaneously retaining water and nutrients, which it then releases over time. Vermiculite is therefore useful in seed sowing and propagation. It can also be added to house plant compost.

My theory as to why it works so well is a combination of moisture retention without becoming soggy, and holding onto nutrients and plant hormones such as giberellins which are naturally released from the seeds when sprouting.

If you are going to be spending even $3 per seed a giant bag of vermiculite for $40 will last you a year or more

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 01:24:25 PM »
from gardenersworld.com

What are vermiculite used for?
Vermiculite helps to aerate soil while simultaneously retaining water and nutrients, which it then releases over time. Vermiculite is therefore useful in seed sowing and propagation. It can also be added to house plant compost.

My theory as to why it works so well is a combination of moisture retention without becoming soggy, and holding onto nutrients and plant hormones such as giberellins which are naturally released from the seeds when sprouting.

If you are going to be spending even $3 per seed a giant bag of vermiculite for $40 will last you a year or more
Yep I do like storing and sending seeds in vermiculite. Just after they sprout there's that transition phase between that and soil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk