Author Topic: Does anyone find mango tasting video useful entertaining or humorous  (Read 1231 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I find some are useful and others are humors. There's folks on the Gulf Coast who sometimes compare mangoes to junk food. A little artistic exaggeration here but if you took a Flintstone vitamins smash it with a hammer then poured Capri Sun over them that's what this mango  taste like.😅 Then there's some who visit Seacrest Boulevard who go a little over the top. This mango has a note that's almost as if a bee was dancing on an Asian pear then pollinated this tree. Then there's the caveman review. Ugh this one good mango. Mangoes are about fun and joy and some folks just take things too seriously lol
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone find mango tasting video useful entertaining or humorous
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 11:24:17 AM »
The most helpful resource for Mango Taste is Alex's website. Why? Because he breaks taste down objectively into identifiable categories (notwithstanding his recent comments about Creme Brulee, ha!). Being told a Mango is "good" or "great" or "sweet" based on one reviewer's taste means [next to?] nothing to me. Knowing if it's Classic, Indochinese, Citrus, Coconut, West Indian, or Indian helps. Knowing if flavor tends to be mild (as he notes with Florigon) is helpful. Knowing season is helpful. Knowing ripening concerns is helpful. Knowing tree vigor and disease resistance is helpful. To sum up, objective information is helpful; subjective tasting videos*might* be entertaining (?), but are certainly not helpful to me.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 11:27:37 AM »
My intro to Truly Tropical videos were Chris's Variety Profiles. Those were fantastic and helpful, and were well done. I wish she continued with those.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 08:25:37 PM »
I find some are useful and others are humors. There's folks on the Gulf Coast who sometimes compare mangoes to junk food. A little artistic exaggeration here but if you took a Flintstone vitamins smash it with a hammer then poured Capri Sun over them that's what this mango  taste like.😅 Then there's some who visit Seacrest Boulevard who go a little over the top. This mango has a note that's almost as if a bee was dancing on an Asian pear then pollinated this tree. Then there's the caveman review. Ugh this one good mango. Mangoes are about fun and joy and some folks just take things too seriously lol
We can name names since they all have YouTube channels.  So yes, Sulcata Grove, does come up with some weird descriptions, but I still respect their judgement. Celeste is an adorable person.  I think they know a good mango when they taste one.  Truly Tropical doesn't always have great tasters in my opinion.  I feel like I could do a much better job, but Chris has never invited me into her inner circle.  :)  Is the caveman Paul Nison ("Fruitful Trees")?  His favorite mango is usually the one he's tasting, and yeah, without much description of the flavor.  So you're right.  They're fun to watch, but don't take them too seriously.
John

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 08:28:24 PM »
The most helpful resource for Mango Taste is Alex's website. Why? Because he breaks taste down objectively into identifiable categories (notwithstanding his recent comments about Creme Brulee, ha!). Being told a Mango is "good" or "great" or "sweet" based on one reviewer's taste means [next to?] nothing to me. Knowing if it's Classic, Indochinese, Citrus, Coconut, West Indian, or Indian helps. Knowing if flavor tends to be mild (as he notes with Florigon) is helpful. Knowing season is helpful. Knowing ripening concerns is helpful. Knowing tree vigor and disease resistance is helpful. To sum up, objective information is helpful; subjective tasting videos*might* be entertaining (?), but are certainly not helpful to me.
You're right about Alex.  He's the Mango Guru, and he's a smart guy!  (Alex, when are you going to update Alampur Baneshan/Iman Passand?)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 08:51:57 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 10:38:27 PM »
You're right about Alex.  He's the Mango Guru, and he's a smart guy!  (Alex, when are you going to update Alampur Baneshan/Iman Passand?)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 10:41:11 PM »
We can name names since they all have YouTube channels.  So yes, Sulcata Grove, does come up with some weird descriptions, but I still respect their judgement. Celeste is an adorable person.  I think they know a good mango when they taste one.  Truly Tropical doesn't always have great tasters in my opinion.  I feel like I could do a much better job, but Chris has never invited me into her inner circle.  :)  Is the caveman Paul Nison ("Fruitful Trees")?  His favorite mango is usually the one he's tasting, and yeah, without much description of the flavor.  So you're right.  They're fun to watch, but don't take them too seriously.

E4 Sugarloaf in a snackable cup
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:43:16 PM by bovine421 »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 08:14:25 AM »
One thing about tasting is that individual fruits can vary. I know of one couple who came down and would go out to a vendor then taste test a different mango every day. They had no idea of the ripeness and kept hating on a variety based on their first taste of fruit which wasn't picked right or representative. I offered to let them try a better example, mentioned that they were getting a poorly picked or underripe fruit but they felt I was hating on them. Even from year to year there can be a lot of difference so besides being personally subjective it sually takes a few tries to really get to know what flavor they can have.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 09:04:56 AM »

pineislander  is spot on!

They tend to hold varieties till they can compare multiples which can lead to major off flavors.Some mango is best maybe only 30 hours.Not to mention all the physiological disorders which can highly influence taste example the carrot taste or alcohol prone jelly seed.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 10:28:53 AM »
One time I did a table tasting at my house. MY oldest daughter likes to crack on me about it.
I had went to South Florida and got some top tier mangoes that I had never tried. I read all of the descriptions and reviews and was very serious about this tasting. This particular mango was supposed to have a citrus taste and someone described it as Sprite. I kept asking my wife what does it tasted like and she kept repling mango. I was getting very frustrated and angry because she wasn't telling me what I wanted to hear. So now when they went to crack on Dad and have a haha hohe. They say Juke which is my wife's nickname does it taste like water melon! Juke does it taste like alligator. Then they all have a big laugh at Dad's expense.😡😅
Her nickname me came from the fact that when she was little she was always going to Juke somebody with a knife or with a pin in their dolly LOL
Luckily for me she found Jesus thank you Lord LOL
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 10:32:26 AM by bovine421 »

bburdzel

• Cape Coral, FL 33991, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 08:32:13 PM »

I agree!  The categories he puts things in make good sense, especially after doing a lot of taste testing.  For instance, I really don't know what Indochinese flavor is but after testing some in that category I've realized it's not my favorite.  Same goes for Indian with the exception of Ice Cream, which I think is superb.  I love Lemon Zest, so I check out others in Citrus Burmese, Peach Cobbler and Seacrest, so I go with Gary Citrus, Pickering and M4, so anything coconut is a winner for me.  Then I read the descriptions for other nuggets of wisdom or details.

Salcuta Groves is also another great one.  Though I will never understand how describing a fruit cup as a flavor is a good thing.  Celest is awesome and generally I trust their reviews.  They do seem to like resin, which I don't, but they call it out, which is very valuable.

Chris is a mix that I find confusing.  Her taste testing videos are quite good, though not everyone in the videos wants to talk about the flavors they are tasting.  Just some people are not talkative, I guess.  On the other hand, I think her variety profiles are a bit of an oversell.  They are little advertising videos, and they have mistakes and are misleading.  For instance, Pickering is not a Poly seed, and it does NOT taste similar to Carrie but sweet.  Pickering is my number one mango, but I can't stand the resin in Carrie.  It's actually more similar in flavor to Glenn with a strong coconut finish.

Osho is another decent one, but I just wish he gave more details about what he is tasting too.  Its hit or miss.  If it's over ripe he doesn't like it, you get the 'sewer' talk.  There are some excellent comparison videos, I just wish he was a little bit more descriptive.

Bill (Cape Coral)

Mangoes I have:
Valencia Pride, Karen Michelle, Pineapple Pleasure, Pina Colada, M4, Coconut Cream, Seacrest, Sugar Loaf, Pickering, Honey Kiss, Peach Cobbler, Spirit of 76, Glenn, Cotton Candy, Gary, Lemon Zest, Orange Essence, Dwarf Hawaiian, Ice Cream, Sweet Tart, All Summer

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 08:12:26 AM »
I'm going to write about this in very vague deliberately not specific terms. I recently discovered a mango tree from the West Indies that I specifically have been looking for and now it's available. It may have been available for a couple years I just knew it by a different name. It has been in USDA/ARS Plant Germplasm Repository (NPGR) in Miami, Florida for some time. Here is a description from the repository. Pere Louis bears very young, has no fiber nor any sourness at the core, and the flavor is nearly as good as that of the Julie, which is the best for flavor I have ever eaten.
------------------ O. W. Barrett
In the Tropical Acre Farms description he used the word scantly so I inquired from TAF further information. Their reply was last season Pere Louis had no fiber and was excellent. So researching this mango I stumbled across a YouTube review of what they said was this mango. I surmise that they must have got something that was mislabeled because in there description they used words such as fiberglass Brillo pad. Now when people's business model is to sell fruit and trees this is not helpful whatsoever making a judgment by one tasting of a fruit that probably was mislabeled. Now for confirmation I called and asked several people that hold this mango and very high esteem and considerate premium. They all replied that this mango does not have a reputation for being fibers and actually laughed at the suggestion. Maybe all these people are wrong and the YouTubers are correct but I laid my money down on that horse and made a bet and ordered the tree. Hopefully someone will ask these nice folks to come review this mango coming from a reliable source. I feel that they may have done the mango Community a disservice by giving a lackluster taste review🙂

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 08:27:56 AM by bovine421 »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2023, 11:18:52 AM »
I've been uploading some videos lately and I'm finally getting used to the production process.
I think a good it would be a good idea to have some mango profile videos describing the taste.

I might give it a shot, I think it would be a good idea to combine:

Alex's flavor categories
Jared's (weird fruit explorer) sweetness and tart scale to describe taste intensities
A texture description (firm vs soft, chalkiness, pectiny, juiciness, creamy)
The difference in flavors over the ripening window
How the fruit can vary year to year
Best time to pick.

At this point, I have enough experience with about 50 mangos to make a video with these descriptions.
Ideally, Alex would be the guy, but he does have a whole farm to deal with, maybe I'll email him a list to include some of his comments and observations.
Similarly, i can talk to other growers in the area and get their comments and observations.

To be clear this wouldn't be a video of me eating a mango, I think it would be more helpful to have videos like how Chris from Truly Tropical did and the beginning.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2023, 12:56:35 PM »
I've been uploading some videos lately and I'm finally getting used to the production process.
I think a good it would be a good idea to have some mango profile videos describing the taste.

Alex's flavor categories
Jared's (weird fruit explorer) sweetness and tart scale to describe taste intensities
Best time to pick.

At this point, I have enough experience with about 50 mangos to make a video with these descriptions.
Ideally, Alex would be the guy, but he does have a whole farm to deal with, maybe I'll email him a list to include some of his comments and observations.
Similarly, i can talk to other growers in the area and get their comments and observations.

To be clear this wouldn't be a video of me eating a mango, I think it would be more helpful to have videos like how Chris from Truly Tropical did and the beginning.
That would be awesome! Please try to arrange to taste test and review this mango Pal-wee Palwi Pere Louis from Tropical Acre Farms. Just requested today for a photo of this mango from Saint Lucia. Not a YouTube expert but I don't see any fiber so I'm just going to have to trust a few folks that say this is an excellent mango

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 01:53:06 PM »

Alex's flavor categories
Best time to pick.

That would be awesome! Please try to arrange to taste test and review this mango Pal-wee Palwi Pere Louis from Tropical Acre Farms. Just requested today for a photo of this mango from Saint Lucia. Not a YouTube expert but I don't see any fiber so I'm just going to have to trust a few folks that say this is an excellent mango

I'll do what I can. Since a single variety of mango's flavors can vary wildly from year to year and depending on how ripe, I'm only do the ones that I'm growing or have plenty of access too.
The good thing is that happens to be a lot.
The bad things is that a lot more will not not be covered. This will be a multiple year quest.
I'm planning to go the Alex's place more this year to try some of the other ones I only had once or twice.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2023, 02:10:52 PM »
Useful? No

Entertaining or humorous? Sometimes

Annoying? Usually. Lots of wasted time. Cut it, eat it, and tell us quick, and then ramble. Feels like watching Curse of Oak Island sometimes, waiting and waiting....

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2023, 02:47:35 PM »
Useful? No

Entertaining or humorous? Sometimes

Annoying? Usually. Lots of wasted time. Cut it, eat it, and tell us quick, and then ramble. Feels like watching Curse of Oak Island sometimes, waiting and waiting....
Oak Island that's too funny I have much better use time watching Sasquatch Hunters. I don't really know what I expect them to find. It is entertaining watching drunken Hillbillies Sasquatch calling
in an attempt to I guess find a mate LOL

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2023, 10:20:51 PM »
They are somewhat entertaining, chock full of opinion and inherently lacking in fact.

And boring.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2023, 09:36:32 AM »
Anytime I’ve been featured in a tasting I’ve always tried to be as descriptive as possible but I tend to run out of words and adjectives when I get into a “put on the spot”.. so most of the time I’ve been in Chris’s videos I’ve usually been pretty quiet unintentionally lol
Sergio

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2023, 06:09:23 AM »
Has Paul finally got the scoop ona a new large pina colada variety coming out this summer from ZHPP?

https://youtu.be/1BbOcPEOyBY

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2023, 08:05:54 AM »
Forgot to add, I like Chris's walkabout tour videos

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk