Author Topic: tiny greenhouse question  (Read 1303 times)

amitzauber

• Israel
    • View Profile
tiny greenhouse question
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:50:34 PM »
Hi all.
Just completed building tiny  greenhouse for my tropical fruit seedlings
I have automatic watering system and  fluorescent lamp  connected to controller

Basically The question is
Since its now winter in area i would like to know when us the best time in the day for watering and when and how long to use my  fluorescent lamp to provide extra light?

Thanks

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: tiny greenhouse question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:04:07 AM »
Sort of depends upon the range of temperatures you are experiencing.  But if winter and the temps are really cool, even in the GH, I would just shut off the automatic watering system and judge for yourself if a plant needs water or not.  If active growth is low or not happening at all, you'll lose plants to too much watering.

If you are getting full sun during the day, I would leave well enough alone...especially if the temps are low and you are not getting good growth.  I doubt a fluorecent lamp alone will do you much good in the long run.  You would need to kick that system up to metal halides.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:38:25 PM »
I don't know, I have pretty good luck with fluorescents, but you have to put them REALLY close to the plants - like 6 inches.  I set my timer up so that they get 16 hours of daylight.  This is longer than a tropical day, but I figured that with a lower light output, they would like the extra hours.

My cacaos drop a few leaves as winter goes on, and my stupid dragon fruit still don't bloom, but overall, I don't think my plants know they aren't in the tropics (shhh...).
I like to water in  the morning - puts more humidity in the air when the sun is beating down...

amitzauber

• Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:40 AM »
Thank you for the answer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk