Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Reasons why you like your favorite fruit (and/or fruit tree)

(1/4) > >>

FlyingFoxFruits:
Thinking of reasons why I like what I like...and the same about you crazies.  ;D

Here goes.

I like jabuticaba because they have so many varieties, grow so slow, and are so beautiful.  They are a fruit to be shared, and have a very special taste.  It's care requirements fit my personality...just hit hard with water during the growing season, and fertilize a few times throughout the year if you can.  Its a tree that brings fruit lovers together...as is....

The carambola!  I love the diversity of this species, and the edible flower petals!  They taste sweet tart, and are delicious with miracle fruit.  My favorite so far is Fwang Tung, but I'm not the most experience starfruit critic.  The tree makes so much fruit throughout the year, that you must share!  Or you'll get a kidney stone or something!  ;D  The fruits are amazing when juiced, and of course jammed.

The sapodilla is a rewarding tree...easy to grow, and super sweet unique tasting fruit.  They seem to have a nice long season, and aren't bothered by my horrible city water, and light freezes.  So I've gone a bit crazy and collected around 8 trees of dwarf varieties (makok and silas wood), they are currently in 7 gal and 10gal pots and flowering heavily.

Probably my favorite so far, the Annona family has won me over.  It is such a tease, most times not producing enough fruit to satisfy my greedy appetite.  The fruits have my favorite aromas, textures, appearances, and flavors, of any food item on planet Earth...my only complaint...never enough fruit!

and lastly, but not least, the family of the mangosteen, Clusiaceae, has me obsessed.  Its extreme ornamental value, and slow growth, immediately draw me in.  Of course the lore about the Queen of fruits doesn't turn me off either.  This family has so much potential.  I think some of the species that are considered worthless or inferior (xanthochymus, livingstonei, intermedia, and more), are soon going to be plants that are like celebrities with fan clubs!  This family strangely reminds me of Myrtaceae, with the slow growth of some of the species, and the sometimes striking cauliflorous habit of fruiting.

That there was my rant about why I like what I like...(and I could have gone on!)...but enough about me.  Now I'd like to hear from all of u! :)

fruitlovers:
I notice i tend to favor fruits that have been around for many millenia. I like the idea of eating a fruit, like lychee, that was enjoyed by Chinese people many thousands of years ago. Or eating a mango and thinking that the Buddha sat in a mango grove and relished the same fruit. Or eating a rollinia and thinking that dinosaurs might have also enjoyed eating this prehistoric fruit. Or eating bananas or breadfruit and thinking of all the trouble that Hawaiian sea going voyagers must have had keeping the young starts alive on their sea faring canoes.

FlyingFoxFruits:

--- Quote from: fruitlovers on April 09, 2012, 01:43:27 AM ---I notice i tend to favor fruits that have been around for many millenia. I like the idea of eating a fruit, like lychee, that was enjoyed by Chinese people many thousands of years ago. Or eating a mango and thinking that the Buddha sat in a mango grove and relished the same fruit. Or eating a rollinia and thinking that dinosaurs might have also enjoyed eating this prehistoric fruit. Or eating bananas or breadfruit and thinking of all the trouble that Hawaiian sea going voyagers must have had keeping the young starts alive on their sea faring canoes.

--- End quote ---

Interesting perspective!  With that said do you relish eating figs? or grow them?  I think quince or fig is oldest cultivated fruit right? or olive or pomegranate?

its an argument I'm sure (oldest cultivated fruit)!  Don't worry, I'm not going to get all heated up about this one!!

fruitlovers:

--- Quote from: Anikulapo on April 09, 2012, 01:52:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: fruitlovers on April 09, 2012, 01:43:27 AM ---I notice i tend to favor fruits that have been around for many millenia. I like the idea of eating a fruit, like lychee, that was enjoyed by Chinese people many thousands of years ago. Or eating a mango and thinking that the Buddha sat in a mango grove and relished the same fruit. Or eating a rollinia and thinking that dinosaurs might have also enjoyed eating this prehistoric fruit. Or eating bananas or breadfruit and thinking of all the trouble that Hawaiian sea going voyagers must have had keeping the young starts alive on their sea faring canoes.

--- End quote ---

Interesting perspective!  With that said do you relish eating figs? or grow them?  I think quince or fig is oldest cultivated fruit right? or olive or pomegranate?

its an argument I'm sure (oldest cultivated fruit)!  Don't worry, I'm not going to get all heated up about this one!!

--- End quote ---

I do love figs, and did try growing a bunch of cultivars here. I kind of gave up on them because the birds always got to them first, and also the fruits were not high quality in our climate.  The opposite side of this island, Kona, which is very dry, produced pretty decent figs.  Same situation with pomegranates. The middle eastern fruits (you forgot dates) all in cultivation for many thousands of years. But it would be hard to prove which is really the oldest because no records were kept. In some cases, like the banana, it's even hard to figure out where exactly they originated? Citron is another fruit that is very long in cultivation.

nullzero:
I like fruits that are easy to eat, have great taste and texture, and good flesh ratio. Fruits at the top of the list; Apple (grown right and ripened accordingly), Mango, Lychee, Grapes, Pomegranate, Persimmon, Cherimoya, and Citrus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version