Author Topic: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)  (Read 174540 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)
« Reply #525 on: March 15, 2021, 11:43:24 PM »
So my list:
Honey Royale nectarine
Bing sweet cherry
Orangered apricot
Flavor Supreme Pluot
Morus Nigra mulberry
Summer Muscat grape
Black Madeira fig
It's a nice list, but I hope you get a chance to taste some really fine mangos someday.  The fact that they can be super-sweet and super-flavorful even in a wet climate with sandy soil should tell you everything!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 11:56:37 PM by johnb51 »
John

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 16, 2021, 09:25:54 AM »
Good point John. The sandy soil may be a plus. But lots of water usually isn't. For instance during the entire history of the Clemson stone fruit breeding and testing program, sandy soil with lots of rain, the highest brix they reached on peach or nectarine is 23. In CA or my greenhouse that's where the good fruit starts.

So I like how you think and have four mangos started. I'll be grafting on these soon. With the control of water that I have maybe I'll be singing a different tune soon.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:35:13 AM by fruitnut1944 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 16, 2021, 09:54:50 AM »
Good point John. The sandy soil may be a plus. But lots of water usually isn't. For instance during the entire history of the Clemson stone fruit breeding and testing program, sandy soil with lots of rain, the highest brix they reached on peach or nectarine is 23. In CA or my greenhouse that's where the good fruit starts.

So I like how you think and have four mangos started. I'll be grafting on these soon. With the control of water that I have maybe I'll be singing a different tune soon.
It's not too cold for them (winter) where you live?  The heat they can take.  Mangos growing in Coachella Valley, CA, are supposed to be excellent.
John

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 16, 2021, 10:41:40 AM »

It's not too cold for them (winter) where you live?  The heat they can take.  Mangos growing in Coachella Valley, CA, are supposed to be excellent.

My greenhouse has a longer season than Fresno, nectarines ripen two weeks earlier, and never freezes but isn't as warm as Coachella in winter mainly because it takes 45 days to get chilling for stone fruits. It does have 10.5 months of 80s and mostly 90s for highs. I think I can equal nearly anything in CA. But no way close to what you'd find in India or another tropical place where mangos are native. So I don't know what to expect from my greenhouse mangos.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 10:44:22 AM by fruitnut1944 »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
I just find most poms to be too bitter to really love them. Maybe I haven't had any selected varieties but so far, not impressed.

It was picked too early. Was the thin membrane yellow or paper white/pink? Yellow is too early.
When it ripe the swollen seeds are easily pushed off into a bow with the fingers. It tastes sweet, tart, complex and never enough to satisfy. I don't think poms are good in warm tropical climate.
When I lived in Vietnam we had a few trees, but they are nothing compare to Poms in California home grow and picked.

Btw, I grew up in VN so I have eaten most tropical fruits and so my list included fruits from South East Asia and America.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:35:23 PM by sapote »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2021, 10:50:57 PM »
Cherries from Washington State are the ultimate and they come into Florida in good shape. But our backyard mangoes of all shapes and sizes are the bomb. Anyone visiting here during the summer months will be surprised at how many average houses have mango trees that have fruits hanging

Dmaxx69

• Hawaii County, Keaau, HI zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 14, 2021, 11:27:13 AM »
Not a fan of ranking things in general, but do enjoy a tops list of favorite fruits. Originally from Seattle and so was spoiled with awesome blueberries, mountain strawberries, pink lady apples, ranier cherries( best on planet!) Etc.. Now i live off grid on the big island of Hawaii with over 80 species of fruits planted on my first acre. New list after living here for my 3rd year would have to include: emperor lychee, soursop/rollinia, black jade pineapples, jaboticabos, and mangoes. Not sure which mango varieties are my favorite but have had excellent hadens from Kona side. I live in wet puna and so have limited options of mangoes that i can get to set fruit. Currently have a grafted nam doc mai and a mangifera casturi tree. We have a mystery mango that was gifted as well, i may just top work it with grafts though. Also, ive got a stupid amount of fruits growing that ive never tried yet including lots of annonas so this list will for sure change as my palette experiences new wonders

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 14, 2021, 03:40:44 PM »
1-Avocado
2-Mandarin Orange
3- Grapes
4- Lemons
5- Pineapples

Left off this list are all the berries I grow. 12 varieties of blueberries, 8 varieties of strawberries, 6 varieties of raspberries, boysenberries, blackberries and mulberries.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:38:50 PM by containerman »

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 14, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »
1. Durian
2. Durian
3. Durian
4. Durian
5. Lychee

californicus

• San Jose, CA, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 29, 2021, 03:40:50 AM »
But no way close to what you'd find in India or another tropical place where mangos are native. So I don't know what to expect from my greenhouse mangos.

Native doesn't always mean the best conditions for a fruit or any other plant. Best (and most productive) vanillas are grown in Madagascar where it is not native. Stonefruits aren't native to greenhouses in Texas either :)

gardenhoe

• Mount Orab OH zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 30, 2021, 04:44:41 AM »
black sapote
grapefruit
raspberries
finger lime
currants

gardenhoe

• Mount Orab OH zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 30, 2021, 04:50:29 AM »
Here's a few for the fruit hall of shame 

1) Noni (smells like an outhouse)
2) Quince (tastes like soft wood)
3) Kiwano / African Horned melon (why are these even sold?)
4) Pond Apple (Annona glabra) Racoons love them 

Also in this group, are those Mangos grown in places like Peru and Mexico that are picked a month before they
are mature, then refrigerated, hot dipped according to USDA requirements and sold here in Florida and elsewhere

I disagree, while Quince isn't very good for fresh eating I have a pineapple quince that I make quince paste from and it is delicious.
in the US for 50cts to $1. The vast majority of these are HORRIBLE     

Noni, i think it's more of a medicinal. Don't see anybody claiming it's a pleasure fruit.  :o
Membrillo, a canned paste made from quince is extremely popular in S. America. Guess it's not one of those out of hand fruits.
Kiwano, makes nice salad dressing if you mash them a bit. Can become invasive here, and nasty thorny groundcover.
Pond apple, was used as rootstock here for other annonas, but most nurseries have abandoned that.
Oscar
Oscar

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 30, 2021, 05:15:49 PM »
MANGO
LYCHEE
SUGAR APPLE
CHERRY
JACKFRUIT

Saone

• Central vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 24, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »
Here's a few for the fruit hall of shame 

1) Noni (smells like an outhouse)
2) Quince (tastes like soft wood)
3) Kiwano / African Horned melon (why are these even sold?)
4) Pond Apple (Annona glabra) Racoons love them 

Also in this group, are those Mangos grown in places like Peru and Mexico that are picked a month before they
are mature, then refrigerated, hot dipped according to USDA requirements and sold here in Florida and elsewhere

I disagree, while Quince isn't very good for fresh eating I have a pineapple quince that I make quince paste from and it is delicious.
in the US for 50cts to $1. The vast majority of these are HORRIBLE     

Noni, i think it's more of a medicinal. Don't see anybody claiming it's a pleasure fruit.  :o
Membrillo, a canned paste made from quince is extremely popular in S. America. Guess it's not one of those out of hand fruits.
Kiwano, makes nice salad dressing if you mash them a bit. Can become invasive here, and nasty thorny groundcover.
Pond apple, was used as rootstock here for other annonas, but most nurseries have abandoned that.
Oscar
Oscar

why did they stop using pond apple root stock?

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 24, 2021, 01:06:27 PM »
Here's an update on my top 5.

Durian
Dragonfruit
Banana
Mango
Cherimoya

Mango is down from last time due to convenience when eating and discovery of good dragonfruit. Still have a lot of annonas and myrtaceae to try.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 24, 2021, 02:10:18 PM »

Durian
Dragonfruit
Banana
Mango
Cherimoya

Mango is down from last time due to convenience when eating and discovery of good dragonfruit. Still have a lot of annonas and myrtaceae to try.
Banana and dragonfruit.  Really?  Please explain.  I've yet to taste a great dragonfruit.  Even "tuna" (opuntia or prickly pear) seems better to me.  Bananas are so common, and even the best ones are merely a step up from the ordinary.  (Mango, yes.  Cherimoya, yes.  Haven't tried durian so far.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 04:52:55 PM by johnb51 »
John

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 25, 2021, 10:29:57 AM »
Top 5 something like:
Mango
(sweet Rainier) Cherry
Lychee
Pineapple
Rollina

Stuff I stay away from:
Durian, Noni, June Plum, Papaya

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 25, 2021, 03:01:03 PM »
Banana and dragonfruit.  Really?  Please explain.  I've yet to taste a great dragonfruit.  Even "tuna" (opuntia or prickly pear) seems better to me.  Bananas are so common, and even the best ones are merely a step up from the ordinary.  (Mango, yes.  Cherimoya, yes.  Haven't tried durian so far.)
[/quote]

Best df I've had was American Beauty. Sweet with some complexity. Was quite nice, refreshing, and electric in color. Texture was pleasing, with crunchy seeds. I could see someone liking df like this very much, as do I.

Most df is bland. I eat for the color and health benefits most of the time, but always on the look out for and open minded to tasty ones.

Frankie's Red and Sugar Dragon are also quite good. There are others.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 25, 2021, 05:56:53 PM »
My top five in no particular order:

Mango
Jackfruit
Pineapple (especially when in Hawaii)
Raspberry
Cherimoya

Honorable mention: peaches and lychee

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 26, 2021, 02:18:10 AM »

Durian
Dragonfruit
Banana
Mango
Cherimoya

Banana isn't super exciting to eat, but neither is french fries. It's just a very satiating fruit to eat and very convenient as well. When I was thinking about what I should put on the list, my thought process was what fruit would I actually go out of my way to consume and how often. I eat bananas all the time for breakfast. I don't eat the other common supermarket fruits very often.

A lot of dragonfruit is bland and sometimes has a soapy flavor. I do not like those dragonfruits. When it is sweet without soapy flavor its fantastic. It's also fairly convenient.

Also common theme for my favorite fruits is that they are on the soft side. That's just my personal preference.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 26, 2021, 03:33:09 AM »

Durian
Dragonfruit
Banana
Mango
Cherimoya

Banana isn't super exciting to eat, but neither is french fries. It's just a very satiating fruit to eat and very convenient as well. When I was thinking about what I should put on the list, my thought process was what fruit would I actually go out of my way to consume and how often. I eat bananas all the time for breakfast. I don't eat the other common supermarket fruits very often.

A lot of dragonfruit is bland and sometimes has a soapy flavor. I do not like those dragonfruits. When it is sweet without soapy flavor its fantastic. It's also fairly convenient.

Also common theme for my favorite fruits is that they are on the soft side. That's just my personal preference.

None of those fruits are on my top 5 list (which is somewhere way back in this topic), but that is nothing more than a difference in personal taste. However, I have to agree with Gogu on the banana's convenience. I can eat one while I am working without my hands getting sticky or any mess being created, with the exception of an easily disposed of peel. I cannot say that about lychees or even my favorite citrus. Of course, that convenience is why the banana is the world's most popular fruit. We would all think more highly of it if we had ready access to varieties besides supermarket Cavendish.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 26, 2021, 08:48:10 AM »
I was thinking strictly in terms of flavor, but I do eat a banana every day, and the ones we grow ourselves are better than the supermarket.  So I get it now. :)
John

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 26, 2021, 10:42:18 AM »
If i walked into a store with all fruits available and had to buy only 5, i would get:
Sugar apple
Quince
Persimmon
Poms
Lychee
Ana

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 26, 2021, 11:21:11 AM »
If i walked into a store with all fruits available and had to buy only 5, i would get:
Sugar apple
Quince
Persimmon
Poms
Lychee
Quince?  Isn't that like a wooden apple?
John

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 26, 2021, 11:28:47 AM »
I am not sure what wooden apple is but there is nothing better than ripe quince. It has unique taste and smell.
Ana