Author Topic: Kigelia pinnata aka the sausage tree  (Read 2506 times)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Kigelia pinnata aka the sausage tree
« on: April 04, 2013, 05:59:13 AM »
Another typical tree of the African Savanna - came across many over Easter. The tree should be grown for its decorative flowers, and though the fruit is not edible as raw, it is used for brewing alcohol and the seeds are roasted  and eaten.

Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Kigelia pinnata aka the sausage tree
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:29:38 AM »
Almost every botanical garden in Hawaii has sausage trees. One particularly great site is at the Honolulu botanical garden with sausage trees planted right next to huge cannonball trees.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
Almost every botanical garden in Hawaii has sausage trees. One particularly great site is at the Honolulu botanical garden with sausage trees planted right next to huge cannonball trees.

I checked the website from the hawaiian botanical gardens but they don't show any pics :(

too bad, i like tropical botanical gardens.

In Thailand are many different tree's with such fruits/seedpods and i like them. Some seedpods are about 2 feet (70 cm)  long!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:57:44 AM by bangkok »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:48:34 PM »

I checked the website from the hawaiian botanical gardens but they don't show any pics :(

In Thailand are many different tree's with such fruits/seedpods and i like them. Some seedpods are about 2 feet (70 cm)  long!

https://www.google.com/search?q=kigelia+pinnata+hawaii&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS388US388&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nh1eUa6RKsbtiQKv84CQDg&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=910&bih=428
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:17 PM »
Hi Soren,
We have a few trees here that flower and produce very well...but the sausages are not as huge.

A newspaper in S.A released an article about the tree and it's uses for men ;) I don't believe it...but folks were on the hunt for this tree, to get something done ::) I just found the article and If anybody is interested to read the article...just pm me :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

Sausage trees and canon ball trees are in every botanical garden I ever went to. Tired of looking at those useless trees..lol. ::) Should have planted something useful like nice fruiting jack :D....(I do understand its for tourist though)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »

Sausage trees and canon ball trees are in every botanical garden I ever went to. Tired of looking at those useless trees..lol. ::) Should have planted something useful like nice fruiting jack :D....(I do understand its for tourist though)

One administrator at the arboretum here, which used to be planted only with useful plants, ie plants thought to have economic potential: fruits, lumber, told me that the trend now is away from those and towards ornamental trees: flowers. As the fruit trees die or get cut down they largely plant flowering trees or palms.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk