Author Topic: Yellowing Cara Cara Orange plant  (Read 490 times)

vrk3

• San Jose
    • View Profile
Yellowing Cara Cara Orange plant
« on: March 12, 2023, 12:14:40 PM »
Hi, I planted a Cara Cara orange last Fall but it seems to be struggling now - putting out a lot of buds but yellowing a lot (with some leaf drop), here in San Jose (zone 9b). I am not sure if it’s too much water (from the rains) or cold or nitrogen leach. I haven’t fertilized yet but any recommendations? At these soil temperatures I am not even sure if nutrients are absorbed properly.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowing Cara Cara Orange plant
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 01:46:16 PM »
Is that dirt mulch? They'll grow in it but citrus doesn't like mulch. Looks like some kind of parasite or virus. I had tiny almost invisible slugs eating the sap once. Sprayed it with neem oil and got rid of them. It looks kind of like that to me like I'd try spraying it with neem oil.

Could be a nutrient issue. I sometimes crush up a centrum vitamin and mix with water for micro nutrients for all plants. Bone meal is good on citrus because they like calcium they respond well to bone meal but that's a very slow small release. The fertilizer you mix with water blue stuff is best or just citrus fertilizer. Which I would do bone meal and vitamin on top of it for micro nutrients.

If it's getting too wet just throw sand around the base so there's not a hole around it but level or a slight mound. Though if too dry a slight hole helps.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowing Cara Cara Orange plant
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 03:29:15 PM »
The answer is obvious.  You purchased the tree last year and have never fertilized it.   Purchase a fertilizer high in nitrogen and potassium and lower in phosphorous with the trace elements.  Fertilize the tree every third watering.  Your tree is WAY under nourished.