Author Topic: Garcinia seedlings for sale, Intermedia, Madruno, sp. Pacuri and Russell's Sweet  (Read 2102 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Hi all, I have the following seedlings for sale.  They are all grown in deep pots which promote a deep tap root.  Hopefully the deep tap root will make them grow quicker.  They are for local pick up in Long Beach California or I can ship them.  Shipping should be $10-$15 for one or $5-$10 each for multiple plants.

Garcinia Intermedia, 8-10" tall, they are a 1.5 years old.  $25 each

Garcinia Madruno, 8-10" tall, 1.5 years old.  $30 each.

Garcinia sp. Pacuri, this variety grows very fast for a Garcinia.  It is also supposed to be very cold hardy for a Garcinia.  The fruit is supposed to taste similar to Achachairu.  These are 12-14" tall, 1.5 years old and $35 each.

Garcinia sp Russell's Sweet.  This is an extremely rare variety in the United States.  It is supposed to be one of the best tasting Garcinia varieties and a very large fruit.  They are almost a year old.  They are 7-9" tall and $100 each.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 06:51:40 PM by BestDay »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
PM sent.

Janet

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
out of curiosity what is the growing conditions of you garcinias during summer. mine still struggle under heavy shade protection. Only imbe does really well for me

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
All of my Garcinias grow slow.  Very slow.  They have spent the last six months in a green house.  That has helped them grow a little faster.  The Pacuri does grow the fastest.

Bill

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Just curious how do you know you have Russell’s sweet. Can I ask how you sources the seeds? Thanks I’m very interested.
Erik

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Hi all, I guess at this point I'm not willing to discuss my source of the seeds.  I can say that they came from Australia with pictures of the fruit and the trees.  I have every belief that these are real.  The seeds looked just like the pictures of seeds from this variety on the internet.  The seedlings are very unique for a Garcinia in that they get small leaves on the main stem.  They aren't really leaves but small branches?  I don't know what to call them. 

I should also add that the Russell's Sweet is dioecious.  So each plant is male or female.  I am told that the female trees will produce small numbers of small seedless fruit if a male plant is not present to pollinate.  The trees start to flower and fruit at 6-8 feet tall.

Also if I am shipping you plants I can't take any responsibility for the shape they will arrive in.  The shipping companies won't insure live plants as far as I know.  I have no control over what happens to the boxes after I ship them.  I will pack the plants as best as I can.  I can say that I have never had a problem with any of the plants I have shipped.  But there is always a first.  To be honest I don't like shipping plants.  It is a pain and time consuming.

Thanks,
Bill

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Seems to me, anytime we buy rare fruiting plants and seeds, there is a risk in not getting what we think we're purchasing until the plant actually fruits.  (Part of my frustration expressed in my Peluche loquat post.) There are a lot of seeds being sold that are imported from Brazil and elsewhere that have not fruited yet in the U.S. 

With that said, I am choosing to purchase the Russell's Sweet from Bill.  I have purchased plants from Bill in the past and have seen his garden.  I can tell from meeting him and seeing his plants and the selections he grows that he is an experienced grower and takes meticulous care of his garden and like many of us searches out and researches rare genetics. 

Because of often mislabeled plants from other growers, I'm on Bill's waiting list for rare bananas.  I feel confident buying from him and am glad to have a local source for some great plants.

Janet

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile

FWIW, Im growing the alleged Russel's Sweet and got the seeds from Australia and they look just like the ones in OPs post. mine could use a little iron.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile

FWIW, Im growing the alleged Russel's Sweet and got the seeds from Australia and they look just like the ones in OPs post. mine could use a little iron.

agreed his russell's are russell's.

@mikesid...is that a cherapu i spy????

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
It's good to hear from other people that my Russell's Sweet appear to be the real deal.  Like you guys said we can't be 100% sure until they fruit.  But I have every reason to believe that these are the real deal.  Thanks for the kind words Janet.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
All of the Russell’s Sweet are sold.

Bill

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile

I think it was a stunted Russels in that tray...

I do have a few seedlings of cherapu growing from seeds I got from you a few years ago...they recently went in the ground.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile

nice!

I think it was a stunted Russels in that tray...

I do have a few seedlings of cherapu growing from seeds I got from you a few years ago...they recently went in the ground.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
They look like the Russell’s Sweet that I germinated from seed received from Australia.  The leaves are very distinctive.  Personally, I think $100 is a bargain for genetics this rare in the US mainland. My big question is whether or not they can survive a winter in my greenhouse.  We shall see. It would be smart of me to sell off a couple since I have 4 seedlings growing well.  Not confident they will make it when it gets real cold at night.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
All plants ordered so far shipped out today. Check your pm for tracking info.

Bill

cnewfield

• USA, HI, Pupukea, Zone 12a
    • View Profile
pm sent I believe

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Plants arrived today, looking great with masterful packaging.

Thank you Bill!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:50:21 PM by roblack »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kind words. I always get nervous shipping expensive plants. I glad they arrived so happy. Good luck growing and fruiting this variety. I’m very excited to grow it myself.

Bill