Author Topic: Double Grafting Avocados (two species one tree)  (Read 594 times)

Keala Grower

• USA, HI, Kauai, Kilauea, 10a
    • View Profile
Double Grafting Avocados (two species one tree)
« on: September 15, 2022, 07:44:14 PM »
Hello All,
I am curious if any of you have ever grafted two different species of avocado onto one rootstock for the purpose of having one tree produce avocados year round. I want to experiment with this but I cannot find too much information regarding this type of thing online. Also which species of avocado grows well in the summer in Hawaii?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Double Grafting Avocados (two species one tree)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 08:18:21 PM »
Hello All,
I am curious if any of you have ever grafted two different species of avocado onto one rootstock for the purpose of having one tree produce avocados year round. I want to experiment with this but I cannot find too much information regarding this type of thing online. Also which species of avocado grows well in the summer in Hawaii?
You certainly could graft two different varieties of avocado onto one rootstock.  However, there's only one species of avocado, Persea americana (but it's generally said there are three races: Mexican, Guatemalan, and West Indian).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 03:06:52 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 09:46:37 AM »
You should put Hawaii in your subject title so that Hawaiian members will notice and respond.
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 03:46:43 PM »
You can do it but you will want to use types with similar shapes and growth rates.  Also you will want to stump the tree and graft onto new growth  if you have a tree that is already growing well and you hang a 2nd type on it, the new type will most likely never catch up to the original tree.  That is assuming you want them to be equal halves.
Brad Spaugh

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 05:19:57 PM »
Also you will want to stump the tree and graft onto new growth  if you have a tree that is already growing well and you hang a 2nd type on it, the new type will most likely never catch up to the original tree.  That is assuming you want them to be equal halves.

That is reworking / Topworking.
Any methods to produce double grafted trees from the seedling nursery stage ? i.e. as per Citrus or Stonefruit or Apple multi grafts ?
Clonal Avocado rootstocks sort of travel this path, until the lower stock is sacrificed.
Lots of people have one garden tree and need a pollinator.
Also wondering if I grafted high on a seedling rootstock, or already grafted nursery tree, would both sections throw fruiting branches after planting out ?
One of the members on the Citrus General Discussion top works Citrus high up, to keep part of the original variety fruiting, add a new variety and save tree space.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 05:53:18 PM »
If the tree is still little then you can just put a side vaneer on it and prop the 2 types in a V shape with bamboos and call it a day. 

If the tree is already large, you can certwinly add a 2nd variety to it, it just has to compete with the much bigger mass of existing tree. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 05:55:08 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk