Author Topic: Where to buy Manila mango in Bay Area  (Read 564 times)

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
Where to buy Manila mango in Bay Area
« on: March 19, 2021, 02:34:10 AM »
It seems like Manila mango is particularly good at getting through winters in the east Bay Area, and makes a good rootstock. Does anyone know where to buy one around here?

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy Manila mango in Bay Area
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 01:11:17 PM »
If you bought a Manila mango and used it for rootstock, that would kind of defeat the whole purpose because you said it is a good rootstock, but how is it going to be a good rootstock if it isn’t on its own roots? Manila mango is more well suited for the bay but that is for its cold tolerance, not for its use as a rootstock because a Manila mango would have to be the original mango tree or a grafted or air layered. I suppose air layered would work also, but the roots tend to be a bit weaker
Try growing a Manila mango from seed instead of a grafted Manila mango and hopefully the genes carry on and then you can graft onto it.
Hopefully this helps a bit  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:13:36 PM by Tropical Bay Area »
Cheers!

bob_tu

• Hayward/Castro Valley, CA, Zones 10a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:18:34 PM »
If you bought a Manila mango and used it for rootstock, that would kind of defeat the whole purpose because you said it is a good rootstock, but how is it going to be a good rootstock if it isn’t on its own roots?

The manila mangoes from Tomorrows harvest are from seeds not grafted on another rootstock. I know Regan nursery in Fremont has them in stock in late spring/summer, got mine in Aug last year but they usually go fast.
https://lavernenursery.com/current-availability, Looks like big box stores and nurseries that get from Laverne are getting trees in May if they order now. I dont know if there manila trees are on a rootstock or from seed.

RB

• Santa Clara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 03:07:37 PM »
Home Depot and Lowes should have them soon but they do sell out quickly.  I have an extra that I can sell if you are not able to find one.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »
If you bought a Manila mango and used it for rootstock, that would kind of defeat the whole purpose because you said it is a good rootstock, but how is it going to be a good rootstock if it isn’t on its own roots?

The manila mangoes from Tomorrows harvest are from seeds not grafted on another rootstock. I know Regan nursery in Fremont has them in stock in late spring/summer, got mine in Aug last year but they usually go fast.
https://lavernenursery.com/current-availability, Looks like big box stores and nurseries that get from Laverne are getting trees in May if they order now. I dont know if there manila trees are on a rootstock or from seed.

Laverne nursery grows from seed. Their shipment this year was crap. The two foot tall tree is no thicker than a pencil and cannot support itself. Last year, they were twice the size and three times as thick. Maybe it's because of the early shipments? Nonetheless, I still bought two since HD has a one year warranty on plants.

I would look elsewhere but if you're limited, Laverne will work. It will set you back a few years if you keep it without grafting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk