Author Topic: Mango varieties still hanging on the tree? Other tropic fruit in season  (Read 6863 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango varieties still hanging on the tree? Other tropic fruit in season
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »
I picked 26 Keitts today.  Most were totally green with no color break.  I left at least a dozen hanging in the shady parts of the tree.  Squirrels (and/or birds) are getting some hanging ones.  It looks like some will hold until October if left alone.  The tree is in a small backyard behind a 2-story house with another 2-story house behind the fence, and it's partially shaded by other trees, as well, so not in a full sun location.  Also, about 8-9 miles from the coast, north Broward.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:46:03 AM by johnb51 »
John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2021, 09:58:49 PM »
Here's one of my late bloomers that's more unusual to still be on the trees, then my Keitts etc.

LZ pictured below.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2021, 10:49:43 AM »
More sporadic late bloomers occur::: 1. If you have enough trees or grafts as only a small percent is a 3rd bloom or later.  #2. If you have not given up on the Varmint War  A. Keep your bait stations full    B. Keep your traps loaded    C. Keep your guns loaded and warm     D. Keep your friendly predator forces close

Other tactical ideas::: If the varmints appear to be winning, don't give up the hard fought "fruits of your labor and leave them behind to hang... Slowly pull your forces back by picking far away friendly fruit from the trees and taking them safely to the house compound.  Increase your warm gun power around the evacuation facility and blow the *Hello* out of them as they approach. Do NOT let them walk up to your trees next to the house as an ambush of your fruits is inevitable... Use common warfare tactics and use your head while protecting the evacuation site and fruit picked back to the close house area and increase fire power, traps, and bait stations...   And most of all... Don't take tactical advice from politicians... lol...

Below::: Carrie hanging out            Also     A Hawk Kaa Kaa Kaa as it sits on the telephone pole above us...

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2021, 09:28:31 AM »
One of my Valencia Pride trees has held quite a few late bloom mangos this year. For your amusement, here is probably the last Valencia Pride mango on this tree for this year.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2021, 08:25:07 AM »
I just picked some tree ripe Choc Anon which set fruit in June-July. The tree had a normal summer crop but just one branch had a very late flowering. The fruit were much larger than normal and good quality.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2021, 12:09:34 PM »
On Sept. 24, 2021 in "Mangoes that taste like Kent?" thread Reply 26, JakeFruit @ Gulf coast of florida said "I really like the fruit and how late it is (many trees around here are still holding)".

Thus, I went out and slowly checked a Kent tree good today in my yard and Found one small Kent that I picked today.

The Valencia Pride picture was a fluke in regards to almost clean with almost zero fungus... This Kent picture is typical overripe fruit with fungus on the skin for my location but that's fine as long as it produces & tastes good... lol

Pineislander... Give me some pics of fruit on or off the tree as I'm primarily a typical visual kind of guy...  lol......

As most all mango fanatics know, If it's orange when you cut into the fruit... It's sweet.... Yep "The sweetest are often not the prettiest or handsome"  Pick your significant other carefully... lol.   

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:33:56 PM by palmcity »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »
When is Keitt the best mango of all?  When it's the only one you got!  Seriously, this mango is very sweet and delicious.

John

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2021, 07:56:03 PM »
Seriously, this mango is very sweet and delicious.

Agree, when orange like that.... it's definitely sweet.

Good job johnb51 keeping up the good fight vs. varmints in securing some good eating mangos late in the season.

I'm still at War with the varmints and will continue fighting as I love eating fresh orange mangoes off the tree....

lol... I just thought about it and I think I should give a daily Varmint War Casualty Report:::
        1 small woodpecker flew into the yard for the last time today... Only feathers were seen drifting in the air on his
           departure...

(Do not not not harm the very large endangered species woodpeckers as they do not not not eat mangos. I am quite sure as I let 3 grow up on my property last year to help scare off the small regular size woodpeckers...)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:26:35 PM by palmcity »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2021, 08:22:03 PM »
Took the last Beverly off the tree.  I had been keeping an eye on it for some time thinking it was my last fruit.  Then yesterday or was it the day before, I saw a freshly eaten seed and was very upset the critters got the last mango.  I was relieved to find out they had not and am now wondering if I have other fruits in the canopy, green and hiding.  I was not going to test my luck any further, the fruit came down and will ripen on the counter.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2021, 09:23:14 AM »
Palmcity, I can't take credit for protecting the fruit as it's not my tree so it's totally out of my control.  The owner (friend) just lets me pick the fruit as she and her adult son spend zero time in their backyard.  I'm blessed that her late husband planted a Lemon Meringue and a Keitt tree.  Like I said previously, I have seen fruit half eaten by squirrels or birds.  I'm going to check the tree next week for any remaining fruit.  It's many miles away.  If I score some, I'll let y'all know.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:27:46 AM by johnb51 »
John

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2021, 11:33:48 PM »
Happy November,

Mango season is almost over in South Florida and here is the last Keitt pulled & put out to view along with a few avocado etc.

Keitt mango have vanished from my yard this year.... But here is the new king of my late season mangos hanging out for a few more days:::

Happy New Year 2022 awaits us:::

It's a final:::: Braves WINNNNNNNNNNN......... Till next year...........................................

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2021, 05:33:55 AM »
Not sure if this fits in as I understand that Choc Anon can fruit twice a year but I am in Lakeland, FL zone 9B.  Pic as of yesterday and hoping we keep getting enough warm weather long enough for the fruit to mature.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2021, 09:10:45 AM »
Nice... Hopefully they will make it till your ready to eat them.... 

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2021, 11:22:35 AM »

Not enough avocado talk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:28:04 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2021, 04:19:21 PM »
I have been really pleased with Supreme (also developed by Isons) but it is a female and needs a hermaphrodite like Ison to pollenate it. Some of the grapes on Supreme are 1.5" in diameter. That is a big grape! Burrying a portion of the vine that is still attached in moist sand is a good way to root them (simple layering).
Unruly muscadine grape vines do this rooting all the time. Self-rooting. On my property. These are the ones I will dig up carefully and put into pots. I will look for  Supreme. My local Lowes have lots of assorted Muscadines in the spring and fall. One gallon about $7 or $6.

If you like Ison, you will love Supreme. It is a very similar grape, just bigger (about twice as big) and a little better texture. The major draw back is the need for polination, but you should be fine on that score since you already have Ison. Sounds like you have the propagation down to a science.
The muscadine grapes finally went dormant and they shipped those two varieties to me. I planted them next to my Moringa trees in hopes they will climb

Not enough avocado and plantain talk
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:20:01 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2021, 05:47:54 PM »
We've still got "Zebda" hanging and still green here in Southern California.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2021, 07:15:10 AM »
Local fruit I have enjoyed this past week:
Papaya,Avocado,Coconut, Starfruit,and the last few Barbados cherries of the year.
 I know there was a ripe jackfruit available a few days ago locally but I was working and couldn't get to it.
 Last year I had a few Maha Chanok mango in December and a few in January of this year. Also had off season fruit in March/April from Maha in previous years,but no off season fruit this year.
Praying hands Banana bunch ripening now if anyone locally wants to try the variety.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 08:49:40 AM by TonyinCC »

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2021, 10:36:07 AM »
Found a ripe bunch of Tall Orinoco AKA Burro bananas ripening if anyone nearby wants to try them. This clone seems better than a half dozen others I have tasted, sometimes has a faint strawberry aftertaste if eaten at right stage.