Author Topic: Can budwood from the CCPP be cloned?  (Read 921 times)

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Can budwood from the CCPP be cloned?
« on: May 22, 2023, 10:06:12 AM »
I'm thinking of creating an aerocloner.

I do not have the rootstock to graft all the varieties I want and frankly I'm nervous of grafting as I've never done it.

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Re: Can budwood from the CCPP be cloned?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 11:35:49 AM »
Fruitmentor has some write-ups and some videos about rooting citrus cuttings. Not all citrus are equally easy to get to root as cuttings in the first place. https://fruitmentor.com/growing-citrus-cuttings

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 12:49:12 PM »
Most citrus will root better if they have leaves attached, you could maybe ask in your CCPP notes for them to leave the leaves on? I have successfully rooted a number of citrus (a couple mandarins, yuzu, sudachi, Dunstan, trifoliate), but in all cases it was with leaves attached and it still took many months for roots to form.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 12:51:16 PM by drymifolia »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 03:01:40 PM »
For people that have no seedling rootstock or trees to graft, this rooting of cuttings may be the only way to go. But I agree with his summary, not a good idea to root citrus, only a few varieties like lemon  are easy to roott, the rest are a lot of work for little gain. The roots on orange and grapefruit cuttings will never be better than growing out seeds and grafting to them. Good luck to those who like to experiment with rooting citrus.

Excellent write up/ repot by Fruitmentor.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 04:46:26 PM »
C35 trifoliate roots easily. You could start by rooting your own. Otherwise, you might contact Four Winds and see if they’ll sell you some plugs. They sold me a couple dozen plugs a few years ago for a citrus grafting / CCPP order event I did for MBCRFG. C35 makes a great sized tree (8-12’ depending on variety). Otherwise, you’d be rolling the dice on tree size. Some selections can get huge. As mentioned above, The Fruit Mentor lays it all out pretty nicely.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 03:20:01 AM »
only a few varieties like lemon  are easy to roott, the rest are a lot of work for little gain. The roots on orange and grapefruit cuttings will never be better than growing out seeds and grafting to them.

yees this is another concern, even if rooting is successful some plants supposedly arent vigorous non their own :(

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 11:43:50 AM »
Graft to a big tree today.
Worry about rootstock tomorrow.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 01:19:50 AM »

Idk if I have that lol
I have a small meyer lemon tree in a 3 gallon i think like something youd see from home depot

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 02:24:45 AM »

Idk if I have that lol
I have a small meyer lemon tree in a 3 gallon i think like something youd see from home depot

Meyer lemon may have graft compatibility issues with some things, since it's known to be incompatible with Swingle, which is something most citrus are compatible with.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 09:17:00 AM »
I can’t speak for all cultivars grafted to Meyer, but I have been told, and substantiated myself, that it can affect the fruit quality of the cultivar grafted onto it (negatively). I grafted Page mandarin onto Meyer years ago and had to cut the tree down to the rootstock. The fruit was small, of poor quality, and very little sugar.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 03:09:47 PM »
I'm thinking of creating an aerocloner.

I do not have the rootstock to graft all the varieties I want and frankly I'm nervous of grafting as I've never done it.

I don't do much grafting. I mainly do chip budding and t budding which are much simpler.
I have also used grafting machines, and found them quite useful.
They are relatively inexpensive on Ali Express. Along with budding knives and tape.
You still need some skill in working out where to make the cuts and using the budding tape.
That comes with practice. You need to get your eye in,  as they say and that only comes with repeated attempts.
Same with using the tape, after a while it becomes automatic.
Things are much simpler since Buddy Tape and Para Film ( nursery type ) came along.
I suggest growing out some Citrus seed like lemon or valencia orange or tangelo, and practice on them.
You can just graft a scion from each seedling back to itself for practice. Or cut a bud stick from one seedling etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk