Author Topic: Gardening by the moon-phases  (Read 10774 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening by the moon-phases
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2020, 04:55:45 AM »
They authors of that paper I mentioned did most of their research in the Harvard library so yes it is hard to believe. They also declared no conflicts of interest which is rather odd. What is good is that people can put ideas up into the public domain and everyone can comment and share ideas. Yes it should be respectful. All good ideas and philosophies can be defended by their advocates and people can choose to believe what they like. Not all places and eras have been like that.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2020, 03:22:37 AM »
Here In Illinois 10 -12 miles east of St. Louis Missouri We have Cahokia  mounds
modify PC may delete.
I saw Something about How they Looked into it following the Solstice  cycles like the other Pyramids on a TV show
They found out it is quite different , and they  follow the Lunar cycle instead.
, but I didn't add any of that information here just some old links I have had in my emails, but when I have more time may look into it

Below link Not the best web site for information on the history of it , but at least shows directions ,
Can even Take the Bus there (the madison County Transit Bus #18 (or also another Bus too goes by) and walk 1/2 mile west to site
I never did go, but planned 4 years ago a 21 buck Amrak train ride, and a Nice Bike trip or Bus If I decided.

https://cahokiamounds.org/educate/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monks_Mound

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippian_culture

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:59:38 AM by Francis_Eric »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2020, 04:13:11 AM »
Like the call of the siren luring weary sailors, I will resist the temptation to be drawn in for another lap of this circuit. There is so much to say.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
I don't know about plants, but having worked nights in animal emergency clinics for years, it certainly seems that we got WAY more bizarre problems during the full moon - animals with back legs caught in their collars, eating entire roasted turkeys, etc.

We once had a police officer drive up at full speed and leap out of the car yelling "help" as he ran in with a burlap sack.  We dumped the sack out and there was a poor skunk, slowly suffocating, with his head stuck in a pickle jar.  The officer had pulled and pulled on the skunk and couldn't get him out.

I grabbed the nearest stapler, smashed the jar and became an instant "skunk hero".
It was a full moon.

Carolyn

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »
Great story carolyn, did you get sprayed for free skunk effort? :blank:

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2020, 05:57:59 AM »
I don't know about plants, but having worked nights in animal emergency clinics for years, it certainly seems that we got WAY more bizarre problems during the full moon - animals with back legs caught in their collars, eating entire roasted turkeys, etc.

We once had a police officer drive up at full speed and leap out of the car yelling "help" as he ran in with a burlap sack.  We dumped the sack out and there was a poor skunk, slowly suffocating, with his head stuck in a pickle jar.  The officer had pulled and pulled on the skunk and couldn't get him out.

I grabbed the nearest stapler, smashed the jar and became an instant "skunk hero".
It was a full moon.

Carolyn
This is the definition of lunacy

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 06:00:44 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2020, 06:25:44 AM »
Micro Moon is the phenomenon where the moon is a “Full Moon” and is at its farthest point from earth during its yearly orbit, resulting in the appearance of a smaller and dimmer than normal moon.

The Moon orbits Earth in an elliptical path, which means one side of the path is closer to the Earth than the other.

The point in the Moon's orbit closest to Earth is called perigee, while the point in the orbit farthest from Earth is known as apogee. The average distance between Earth and the Moon is 382,500 kilometers or 237,700 miles.

When a Full Moon or a New Moon occurs around apogee, it's called a Micromoon, Minimoon or Apogee Moon. A Micro New Moon is a good time to stargaze.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2020, 12:47:45 PM »

Interestingly, skunks are fairly mild-mannered unless startled.  They do have a pungent body odor even when not spraying, so while he was still groggy we just put him into a crate with an open can of cat food, the police officer put him in the trunk of his car and turned him loose. The skunk wouldn't leave the crate at first because he was still chowing down on the cat food!  We got the crate back, but never could get the smell out and had to throw it away.

Carolyn

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »

Interestingly, skunks are fairly mild-mannered unless startled.  They do have a pungent body odor even when not spraying, so while he was still groggy we just put him into a crate with an open can of cat food, the police officer put him in the trunk of his car and turned him loose. The skunk wouldn't leave the crate at first because he was still chowing down on the cat food!  We got the crate back, but never could get the smell out and had to throw it away.

Carolyn
Good use of a stapler Carolyn. My wife is always threatening to staple my lips when she doesn't like what I'm saying.lol
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:24:15 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2020, 03:14:59 PM »
lool! Be careful I just heard a song that says there's Werewolves of London

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2020, 03:58:13 PM »
Wasn't going to post right,
but Looking up my Friend's name Barry Bailey

A band not him Song playing Coyote Moon right when I clicked on your post chrous popped up
by Barry Bailey What's the odds

Was going to say Ozzy Osborn Bark, at the Moon then I noticed the Chorus Coyote Moon by Barry Bailey.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2020, 04:01:39 PM »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:23:23 PM by Francis_Eric »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2020, 06:24:29 PM »
It was more loose talk than a suggestion and I blame it on the boogie (not the moonlight) as it was just a phase. The interesting thing is that plants act like animals at night (so far as respiration pathway goes).

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2020, 12:34:20 AM »
October has two full Moons this year: the full Harvest Moon on October 1 and the full Hunter’s Moon on the 31st—Halloween the full Moon will be extra special, since it will be the second of the month and, therefore, a “Blue Moon.”a full Moon occurring on Halloween is not a common occurrence and only happens every 18 to 19 years.HOW OFTEN DOES A BLUE MOON OCCUR?
Most months have one full Moon, not two.
Since the Moon’s period of phases is 29 ½ days, while months usually have 30 or 31 days, it’s obvious that if a full Moon lands on the first day of any month except February, it will repeat again at the end.
Turns out, calendrical Blue Moons happen every 30 months on average. Two and a half years. Seasonal Blue Moons happen at a similar rate: about once every two to three years. So maybe “once in a Blue Moon” isn’t so rare after all!

that is wrong
Who is doing that math The Scientist looking for grant money.
The Plants, and planets  associated with Numbers, so the Moon would be Govern by Number 2

If We have a full Moon Rises on Thursday today
I quote " The first of October’s full Moons rises on Thursday, October 1"
Does it not go into the next day after midnight so those numbers are off already.

I didn't give it much thought, until I said to people around me Since cloudy ,and cannot see moon
Today is today, and tomorrow is today referring to the moon after midnight.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2020, 12:51:42 AM »
So 4 full moons
(unless Saturday is a full moon after midnight, (into November first)
but they wouldn't list it like that So 4 full moons)

I do believe the math should be 3, but haven't thought about it much.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:53:37 AM by Francis_Eric »

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2020, 07:06:32 AM »
If you must give the moon a "number", it is 108

If you must square the circle, think 5 over 6

Not only are their two "moonths" this October, but there are 13 moonths a year 7 out of 19 years!

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »

On A Game Show YOU"LL   GET A Call From My Lawyer Did the Moon Change in the sky after midnight october 2

La Dee Freaken Da Your Words Are all Back words 
That's Be the Moon Rose , but Set October 2
Not the same Day [screams ] BUT MOON

FOR The LOVE OF GOD
if you can't get your Priorities Straight
your going to be eating a steady diet of Government Cheese
LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER

[Strangles Fall Over Podium] Crushing it.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2020, 05:26:13 PM »
The scientists looking for $ would get laughed out of the budget meeting and have to endure raucous laughter and finger pointing in the  faculty lunchroom if they presented a proposal like that.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2020, 05:29:01 PM »
This was referring to my old plant book I read about it in A old herb book,
 and never knew what they meant by this plant associated with Venus or so, and so or  Number

I did read a Book, herbal in new Orleans, and at the end of the book
 they had short general pages dedicated to a number of subjects
Like making Potpourri
one of the pages associated the Greek gods, and  planets with Numbers ,
like mars the god of war, associated with Garlic Blackberry vine
Or the Aphrodite god of Venus of beauty (lust), associated with some pretty looking plants
 and different medicine, taken by the properties

Didn't want anyone to think I was involved in the occult so didn't post
I do believe the super natural is out there , but do not use it,

I do not get to see the Moon Much Years ago
A few times even tried to look for the light switch to turn off the sun oops seasons are changing ..
Work sucks.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2020, 05:45:23 PM »
I do not care what Planet is with what plant
or if the moon is associated with Cheese or not ,
 are going about sneaking about it.

Bovine  you got mango  and  Avocado mixed up in Aztec Mythology , and the moon , and all that stuff
Got to read up on all that Pre Hispanic Mexican American stuff .. (see below post if do not want to see link)

Edit doesn't explain much , but Avocado has something to do with 1 woman, and 9 men in the Mythology (see link)
 I think She already deleted my post I wrote out on the Gucamola post twice (so follow up)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232688469_The_Avocado_Persea_Americana_Lauraceae_Crop_in_Mesoamerica_10000_Years_of_History
(post from few days ago I actually found this info in a few minutes reading the Text of those links to connect the two)
((People may not have wanted to read that link , I copied pasted so I also copied the text below this post from that link)

I am not sure If I was wrong with that Avocado statement , and the Moon
When I was reading it I thought it said shaped like a crescent
 I thought I saw the word Moon Oops (see text below)
(but did see it was involved in the creation Myth when I wrote these links
maybe Some India text references mango's as a Creation myth if so sorry to offend you Bovine)

will have to look more into some of these words In The Text below.

Copied from here
Overview of the Popol Vuh: the Maya Bible

By Christopher Minister

Updated July 03, 2019
The Popol Vuh is a sacred Maya text which narrates the Maya creation myths and describes the early Maya dynasties. Most of the Maya books were destroyed by zealous priests during the colonial era: the Popol Vuh survived by chance and the original is currently housed at the Newberry Library in Chicago. The Popol Vuh is considered sacred by modern Maya and is a priceless resource for understanding Maya religion, culture, and history.

Maya Books
The Maya had a writing system before the arrival of the Spanish. Maya "books" or codices, consisted of a series of images which those trained to read them would weave into a story or narrative. The Maya also recorded dates and important events in their stone carvings and sculptures. At the time of the conquest, there were thousands of Maya codices in existence, but priests, fearing the influence of the Devil, burned most of them and today only a handful remain. The Maya, like other Mesoamerican cultures, adapted to the Spanish and soon mastered the written word.

When Was the Popol Vuh Written?
In the Quiché region of present-day Guatemala, around 1550, an unnamed Maya scribe wrote down his culture's creation myths. He wrote in the Quiché language using the modern Spanish alphabet. The book was treasured by the people of the town of Chichicastenango and it was hidden from the Spanish. In 1701 a Spanish priest named Francisco Ximénez gained the trust of the community. They allowed him to see the book and he dutifully copied it into a history he was writing around 1715. He copied the Quiché text and translated it into Spanish as he did so. The original has been lost (or possibly is being hidden by the Quiché to this day) but Father Ximenez' transcript has survived: it is in safe keeping in the Newberry Library in Chicago.

The Creation of the Cosmos
The first part of the Popol Vuh deals with the Quiché Maya creation. Tepeu, God of the Skies and Gucamatz, God of the Seas, met to discuss how Earth would come into being: as they spoke, they agreed and created mountains, rivers, valleys and the rest of the Earth. They created animals, who could not praise the Gods as they could not speak their names. They then tried to create man. They made men of clay: this did not work as the clay was infirm. Men made of wood also failed: the wooden men became monkeys. At that point the narrative shifts to the hero twins, Hunahpú and Xbalanqué, who defeat Vucub Caquix (Seven Macaw), and his sons.

The Hero Twins
The second part of the Popol Vuh begins with Hun-Hunahpú, father of the hero twins, and his brother, Vucub Hunahpú. They anger the lords of Xibalba, the Maya underworld, with their loud playing of the ceremonial ball game. They are tricked into coming into Xibalba and killed. Hun Hunahpú’s head, placed on a tree by his killers, spits into the hand of the maiden Xquic, who becomes pregnant with the hero twins, who are then born on Earth. Hunahpú and Xbalanqué grow into smart, crafty young men and one day find ball gear in their father’s home. They play, again angering the Gods below. Like their father and uncle, they go to Xibalba but manage to survive due to a series of clever tricks. They slay two lords of Xibalba before ascending into the sky as the sun and the moon.

The Creation of Man
The third part of the Popol Vuh resumes the narrative of the early Gods creating the Cosmos and man. Having failed to make man from clay and wood, they tried making man from corn. This time it worked and four men were created: Balam-Quitzé (Jaguar Quitze), Balam-Acab (Jaguar Night), Mahucutah (Naught) and Iqui-Balam (wind Jaguar). A wife was also created for each of these first four men. They multiplied and founded the ruling houses of the Maya Quiché. The four first men also have some adventures of their own, including getting fire from the God Tohil.

The Quiché Dynasties
The final part of the Popol Vuh concludes the adventures of Jaguar Quitze, Jaguar Night, Naught and Wind Jaguar. When they die, three of their sons continue to establish the roots of Maya life. They journey to a land where a king gives them knowledge of the Popol Vuh as well as titles. The final part of the Popol Vuh describes the establishment of early dynasties by mythic figures such as Plumed Serpent, a shaman with godly powers: he could take on animal form as well as travel into the sky and down into the underworld. Other figures enlarged the Quiché domain by means of war. The Popol Vuh ends with a list of past members of great Quiché houses.

Importance of the Popol Vuh
The Popol Vuh is a priceless document in many ways. The Quiché Maya—a thriving culture located in north-central Guatemala—consider the Popol Vuh to be a holy book, a sort of Maya bible. To historians and ethnographers, the Popol Vuh offers unique insight into ancient Maya culture, shedding light on many aspects of Maya culture, including Maya astronomy, the ball game, concept of sacrifice, religion and much more. The Popol Vuh has also been used to help decipher Maya stone carvings at several important archaeological sites.

Sources
Goetz, Delia (Editor). "Popol Vuh: The Sacred Book of the Ancient Quiche Maya." Adrian Recinos (Translator), Hardcover, Fifth Printing edition, University of Oklahoma Press, 1961.
McKillop, Heather. "The Ancient Maya: New Perspectives." Reprint edition, W. W. Norton & Company, July 17, 2006.

TEXT on Avocado

((People may not have wanted to read that link , I copied pasted )))

The avocado has been consumed in Mesoamerica by human groups since prehistoric
times (Mac Neish, 1964). Buckler et al. (1998)
documented that from 16,000 to 8,000 BC the
weather in this region was appropriate for avocado development. It is therefore possible that
avocado cultivation began at this early time and
continued to be used by different cultures that
inhabited the Americas (Galindo et al., in press).
Examples of these cultures and their use of the
avocado are explained in more detail below.
Caral, Peru
In Peru, the Supe Valley was inhabited by the
Caral civilization, the oldest known culture in
the Americas (Solis et al., 2001). Ethnobotanical
remains found here suggest a system of agriculture that depended on irrigation (Solis et al.,
2001). Furthermore, recent findings indicate that
the Supe Valley comprises a cultural complex
going back as far as 3100 BC; and domesticated avocado botanical remains indicate that
avocado was grown there at least since 1200 BC
(Skidmore, 2005). Moreover, because there is no
evidence of maize or any other grain (Skidmore,
2005), it is possible that avocado was an important staple for these people before other crops
were grown there. In addition to the Caral civilization, there is also archaeological evidence
that the avocado was a part of the diet of groups
inhabiting the Moche Valley in northern Peru in
2500–1800 BC (Pozorski, 1979), and on the
Peruvian coast in 1500 BC (Heiser, 1979).

Mokaya, Mesoamerica In Mesoamerica, one of the first known cultures is the Mokaya (1800 BC). The Mokaya inhabited the Soconusco area during the Formative period (1500 BC–300 AD), and although the Mokaya name means maize, there is evidence that this was not their primary food source (Taube, 2004). As the Mokayas were a sedentary group engaged in food acquisition, with an incipient agriculture, it is possible that they used common fruits in the area, especially those as nutritive as the avocado, as a source of food. In addition, as the Mokayas were the forerunners of the Olmec and Maya cultures (Taube, 2004), they may have passed on to them their knowledge of the use and cultivation of trees, including the avocado. Maya, Mesoamerica Like the Chontales, the Mayas also had a special appreciation for trees. In the Popol Vuh, a Mayan holy book written in Mayan hieroglyphic script around 1550, there is a part that refers to the Creation Myth. In this part of the book there is an interesting reference to a place with many trees (“the delightful place”): “There, the creators found the yellow and the white maize as the appropriate food for men and from them they made the flesh when man was formed. In this beautiful place full of delights there were many trees of pataxte (Theobroma bicolor Bonpl.) and cacao (Theobroma cacao L.), and innumerable zapotes (Pouteria sapota (Jacq.) H.E. Moore & Stearn), anonas (Annona muricata L.), jocotes (Spondias purpurea L.), nantzes (Byrsonima crassifolia (L.) Kunth.), and matasanos (Casimiroa edulis La Llave & Lex.)” (Anonymous, 2002). There are paleoethnobotanical accounts suggesting the Maya used the coyol tree (Acrocomia aculeata (Jacq.) Lodd. ex. C. Mart.) as a source of food, oil, and/or wine (Lentz, 1991). It is also known that other fruit trees, such as ciruela (Spondias sp.), nance (Brysonimia crassifolia (L.) Kunth), avocado (Persea americana), and possibly zapote (Pouteria sp.), were common in the Copan Valley (Guatemala) from 900 BC to 900 AD, indicating a reliance on arboriculture as part of the subsistence strategy for the Mayas (Lentz, 1991). With regard to the avocado, Colunga-García and ZizumboVillareal (2004) have suggested that domesticated avocados from other cultural areas were introduced to the Maya lowlands by at least 3400 BC. The Mayas, however, had used avocado since ancient times (Fedick, 1995), and they were among several of the Mesoamerican cultures that domesticated this fruit (GamaCampillo and Gómez-Pompa, 1992).

Iconographic Data
Since many documents that could have shed
light on pre-Hispanic avocado history were
destroyed by the Spanish in their effort to
Christianize the cultures that inhabited
Mesoamerica (Ossenbach, 2005), the iconographic data reveal important information
about the relationship between the avocado and
some Mesoamerican cultures. One example is
the Maya civil calendar (Haab calendar) developed between 800 and 300 BC. In this calendar
the name of each month is based on seasonal
and agricultural events, and the 14th month is
represented by a glyph representing the avocado. The Mayas called this glyph Uniw or
Uniiw in their classic language and K’ank’in in
the yucatec of the 16th century (Landa, [1560]
1978; Kettunen and Helmke, 2005). Another
example is in the Pacal tomb inscriptions in
Palenque, Chiapas, Mexico. This tomb was
built in 650 AD, and on the sides of the sarcophagus are 10 figures representing Pacal’s
ancestors, 9 of them men and 1 a woman
(Schele, 1974). Every figure emerges from the
earth, and behind each of them there is a tree
with fruits that include the cacao, avocado,
soursop (Annona muricata L.), and chicozapote
(Manilkara zapota (L.) P. Royen) (Schele,
1974). These figures represent a forest growing
around the king’s sarcophagus and also represent the main fruit trees the Mayas cultivated
around their homes, as it was thought that their
ancestors were reborn as the trees (Schele,
1974, 1998).
Other interesting iconographic data that support the importance of the avocado in
Mesoamerica is found in “El Codice Mendoza,”
a manuscript painted by an Aztec tlacuilo
(“artist”) at the time Don Antonio de Mendoza
was viceroy of New Spain (“Nueva España”;
Mendoza, 1989). In this manuscript there is a
glyph representing Ahuacatlan, whose name
means a place where avocado is abundant. This
town was identified by a tree with a tooth in the
trunk (ahuacacahuitl) and a calli, meaning
place or town (Telliz, 2000). Castillo (1978)
has placed this town in the state of Jalisco
(Mexico), because the other towns mentioned
in the same plate belong to this area. In addition
to the iconographic data, there is also an Aztec
legend that describes the way Yaotl was transformed into an avocado grasshopper (ahuacachapulin) as punishment when he disobeyed
the gods (Robelo, 1951).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 05:53:13 PM by Francis_Eric »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2020, 12:34:25 AM »
The daily mail from the UK says that we are going to have a Mini Moon from October until May 2021. Holy Benjamin Banneker how will this affect the almanac :-\

The asteroid, known as 2020 CD3, is only the second asteroid known to orbit Earth. And while it won't last, this asteroid acts as a temporary mini-moon whirling around our planet. The asteroid is expected to drop out of orbit around the Earth in April and return to a heliocentric orbit, which is an orbit around the sun
Free handed no tripod

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:37:15 AM by bovine421 »

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »
you may delete this if you think it is not exactly on the topic, the Chinese calendar gives every day information on what are the auspicious and inauspicious activities, the most common being these, and you can see many of them concern agriculture directly (the rest, indirectly)
I give you my word it works. Once while i was breaking some clods a chip jumped to my eye, there was a bloody spot for about 3 days; after it happened, i saw it was a day improper for "breaking earth"; just an example to show you how it works.
So the most common activities dealt with are:
祭祀 sacrifice, ritual / θυσίες, τελετές
嫁娶 wedding / τέλεση γάμου
開光 to inaugurate a place or a utensil for burning a sacrificial / ritual fire / εγκαινιασμός τόπου για άναμμα ιερής φωτιάς
伐木 to cut / break wood / fell trees / κόψιμο ξύλου ή δέντρων
出火 to take a ritual / sacrificial fire to another place / μεταφορά (τόπου) ιερής φωτιάς
拆卸 to take things apart, to divide / διάλυση, διαίρεση
入宅 to enter a new residence / είσοδος σε νέα κατοικία
移徙 to transplant or to move house or premises / μεταφύτευση ή μετακόμιση
修造 to construct / κατασκευή ή χτίσιμο
動土 to move earth, ie to start building / μετακίνηση γής, δηλαδή ξεκίνημα για χτίσιμο
上樑 to raise a beam / joist onto its place / ύψωση κ τοποθέτηση δοκού
安床 to (ritually) secure a bed from evil influences / τελετουργική ασφάλιση κρεββατιού
納畜 to receive (or buy) domestic animals for raising / παραλαβή κατοικιδίων ζώων
開市 to open a shop (stall, marketplace etc) / άνοιγμα μαγαζιού ή πρατηρίου
行喪 to lament / θρήνος ή κλάμα
栽種 to plant or sow / σπορά ή φύτεμα
出行 to start a journey / trip / να ξεκινήσεις ταξίδι
出貨財 to invest money or valuables / να επενδύσεις χρήματα ή αγαθά
安葬 to bury a corpse / να θάψεις
置產 to acquire any real property / να αποκτήσεις ακίνητη περιουσία ή επιχείρηση
詞訟 to express a dissent / go to law court / να εκφράσεις διαφωνία ή να πάς σε δικαστήριο
治病 (try to) heal any disease / να προσπαθήσεις να θεραπεύσεις ασθένεια ή πάθηση
納采 collect (e.g. fruit), harvest / συγκομιδή
prayer prayer / προσευχή
解除 to throw away rubbish or get rid of any impurity or evil influence / αποβολή σκουπιδιών, ακαθαρσίας ή φθονερής επήρειας
謝土 to give thanks to the earth (by libations, offerrings or hymns) / να ευχαριστήσεις τη γή (με σπονδές, προσφορές ή ύμνους)
交易 to trade / ανταλλαγή ή εμπόριο
作灶 to construct a stove or a hearth or a utensil for cooking / κατασκευή εστίας ή σκεύους για θέρμανση ή μαγείρεμα
安門to (ritually) secure a door / gate from evil influences / τελετουργική ασφάλιση πόρτας
蓋屋 to cover (ie) roof a house / επικάλυψη σπιτιού, κατασκευή στέγης
酬神 to please the spirits (incorporeal souls) by offerings (of food, incense, etc) / να ευχαριστήσεις το Θεό ή πνεύματα μέσω προσφορών (τροφής, θυμιάματος κλπ)
訂盟 to enter an alliance or betrothal / να αποφανθείς για (=να κάνεις) συμμαχία ή αρραβώνα
冠笄 to receive a cap (of a man) or hairpin (of a woman) as a token of entering adulthood; any ceremony of entering adulthood / τελετή ενηλικίωσης (παραδοσιακά, με λήψη ειδικού καλύμματος της κεφαλής απο τους άντρες κ καρφίτσας για τα μαλλιά απο τις γυναίκες)
裁衣 to cut cloth for making garments; to make garments; to have new garments made; to buy new clothes / να κόψεις ύφασμα, να φτιάξεις ή να παραγγείλεις ή να αγοράσεις ρούχα
安香to (ritually) secure incense from evil influences / τελετουργική ασφάλιση θυμιάματος (με πρώτη χρήση του συγκεκριμένου θυμιάματος)
入殮 to put a corpse in a coffin / τοποθέτηση νεκρού σώματος μέσα σε φέρετρο
移柩 to relocate a coffin / μετακίνηση φερέτρου
啟鑽 to open a hole (including a hole in the earth for burial) / άνοιγμα τρύπας (καθώς κ λάκκου για ενταφιασμό)
取漁 to catch fish, go fishing / ψάρεμα
捕捉 to catch, arrest (wild animals, criminals etc) / σύλληψη (θηραμάτων, κακοποιών, κλπ)
求醫 to seek or visit a doctor / να αναζητήσεις ή να επισκεφθείς γιατρό
破屋 to demolish / να γκρεμίσεις σπίτι
餘事勿取=all other activities are not 宜 = (other than mentioned) all activities are improper on this day; when you see this note, it means that the whole day is very negative / "όλες οι δραστηριότητες είναι ακατάλληλες": σε όποια μέρα γράφεται αυτό, σημαίνει οτι η μέρα έχει πολύ αρνητικό χαρακτήρα, είναι αντίξοη
求嗣 to seek a successor, to pray for offspring / αναζήτηση διαδόχου, προσευχή για απόκτηση απογόνου
齋醮 to fast, abstain from all food / νηστεία (ιδεωδώς, αποχή απο κάθε τροφή)
塑繪 to make an image of a deity / κατασκευή ιερής εικόνας ή ειδώλου θεότητος
沐浴 to wash or bathe / πλύσιμο, λουτρό
豎柱 to set up a pillar / στήσιμο κίονα
納財 (try to) collect money / προσπάθεια λήψης (οφειλομένων) χρημάτων ή αγαθών
破土 to break up (clods of) earth / σπάσιμο σβώλων χώματος, σβάρνισμα
放水 to water (e.g. a field or garden) / πότισμα γής
除服 to take off (ie stop wearing) mourning clothes / να βγάλεις (=να πάψεις να φοράς) ρούχα πένθους
成服 to make (ie start wearing) mourning clothes / να φτιάξεις ή να αρχίσεις να φοράς ρούχα πένθους
立碑 to set up a stele, a monumental stone / στήσιμο στήλης (πέτρας για διαιώνιση δόξας)
合帳 to make a curtain / tent, to set up a tent / κατασκευή κουρτίνας ή σκηνής
安機械 to (ritually) secure a machine from evil influences; to use a machine for the first time / τελετουργική ασφάλιση μηχανήματος, επίσημη έναρξη χρήσης μηχανήματος
造倉 to construct a store house / store room / κατασκευή αποθήκης
經絡 to weave nets / πλέξιμο (κατασκευή) διχτυών
開池 to open a pond (ie let water out of a pond / pool) / άνοιγμα στέρνας, απελευθέρωση νερού απο στέρνα
立券 to set up a contract / an important agreement / σύναψη συμφωνίας ή συμβολαίου
作樑 to construct a bridge or beam / κατασκευή δοκού (ή γέφυρας)
針灸 accupuncture, moxibustion, medical operations / χρήση βελονισμού ή μόξας, ή οποιαδήποτε εγχείρηση
牧養 to tend or feed animals / βόσκηση, φροντίδα ζώων
開渠 to open a canal / ditch for watering the earth / άνοιγμα καναλιού ή χαντακιού για πότισμα
掘井 to dig for a well / σκάψιμο για πηγάδι
會親友 to make new friends or meet with friends / να κάνεις νέους φίλους ή να συναντήσεις φίλους
掛匾 to hang a sign board (e.g. of a shop) / να αναρτήσεις πινακίδα (π.χ. επιγραφή καταστήματος)
平治道塗 to level out roads, to construct roads / εξομάλυνση, κατασκευή δρόμων
探病 to diagnose a disease / διάγνωση ασθένειας
掃舍to sweep (or mop) the floor / σκούπισμα ή σφουγγάρισμα πατώματος
進人口 to add a new member to your home (e.g. by adopting) / να προσθέσεις ένα ακόμη στόμα στην οικογένεια (κυρίως εννοεί υιοθέτηση)
餘事勿取 all other activities – do not try. When you see this note, it means a day of very negative energy / "όλες τις άλλες δραστηριότητες (εκτός απο εκείνες που αναφέρθηκαν ώς κατάλληλες για τη μέρα) - μήν τις πιάσεις": σε όποια μέρα γράφεται αυτό, σημαίνει οτι η μέρα γενικώς έχει αρνητικό, αντίξοο χαρακτήρα
納婿 to receive a daughter in law / να υποδεχθείς για πρώτη φορά στο σπίτισου τη νύφη (γυναίκα γιούσου)
壞垣 to destroy (demolish) a wall or fence / να χαλάσεις τοίχο (ή φράχτη)
理髮 to cut or shave hair / κόψιμο μαλλιών ή ξύρισμα
造橋 to construct a bridge / κατασκευή γέφυρας
塞穴 to block up holes / να βουλώσεις τρύπες
整手足甲 manicure or pedicure; to cut finger nails / toe nails / κόψιμο ή λιμάρισμα νυχιών
造車器 to make a car / wagon or parts thereof / κατασκευή οχήματος ή μερών οχήματος
補垣 to repair a wall / fence / επισκευή τοίχου ή φράχτη
造畜稠 to construct a barn (housing) for animals / κατασκευή σταύλου, κατοικίας ζώων

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2020, 09:56:27 AM »
Heck yeah and I think it captures the vibe and mood of the thread nicely. While we are gardening by moon phase there is no sound reason not to move coffin, have a pedicure, build a bridge, make a sacrifice or please the spirits according to the phase of the moon.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
Re: Gardening by the calendar
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2020, 10:04:50 AM »
sorry, i would not ask if a time-honored system works or not. Just try and see by yourself. But remember there is much much more in a calendar than moon phases or moon in general. The Chinese calendar gives the proper and improper activities for each day, while the Hindu pancaanga gives accurate times auspicious and inauspicious within every day. But from a different point of view, it is a matter of karma; if you have a bad karma you will not find the proper time for an activity, either because you don't care to find or because your karma will cause you to be deluded; the reverse goes for good karma.
I never had a chance to try out moon phases, because that is too much luxury for me. When i have seeds or seedlings from the post office, i must plant within a few days or (usually) within hours, because i cannot keep seedlings inside home, and if i delay the seed(ling)s may not survive or the weather may deteriorate. Tropical seeds cannot be planted after the weather gets cold, and those that need stratification must be planted exactly when there is cold ahead. So, if you have no indoor devices for germinating and keeping seedlings, you cannot afford waiting for a moon phase.
I may mention the ancient method of divination by casting lots: you make lots e.g. tiny pieces of paper, one having "plant on Thursday 27/8/2020", the other "plant on Friday 28/8/2020" and so on, make each bit of paper as small as you can by folding it again and again, put them all in a vase or whatever container and shake it  until one lot (bit of paper) pops out of the vase, that is your bit of advice. BUT DO NOT DO THAT DURING THE RAT YEAR, LIKE THIS YEAR 2020. Anything you ask by casting lots during the Rat year, or Rat month, or Rat day, or Rat hour, will go wrong.
So what to do?
if you have some traditional wisdom, put it to the test, if you can afford. And most importantly pray to God for guiding; then when you plant you will think "if it is God's will, it will grow well".

Thank you for the information about that stuff Giannhs
Not being sarcastic, but that thing about casting lots
Is this why the Stock market bounced back
do not follow the numbers of the stock market  in the rat year

I believe your story I have had strange stuff like that happen as well some would call a coincidence
mostly I see something that relates to something else, and say I should do this it might be a sign , and right time for it. (or not do it a bad omen)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2020, 05:35:43 PM »
Will the 18.6 year Lunar tidal cycle affect the La Nina Cyclone risk this season?  What other effects will it have on the weather?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk