Author Topic: Gardening by the moon-phases  (Read 10771 times)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening by the moon-phases
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2020, 08:05:39 AM »
Where is your scientific proof the moon does not influence plants in any way?  Thankfully I know how to grow  food in an organic natural system very well.  I was told this is not possible to do either, “can’t be done” by most Floridians with an opinion to share on growing fruit on and off this site.  The collective knowledge of human consciousness on this subject is overwhelming against your views, sorry Mike on this one you are dead wrong.  Where is your real scientific proof, there’s plenty supporting me and the human consciousness on this subject.  Name calling and trying to bully is not proof even if it has the full blind support of the uninformed.  Wrong is wrong.

Growing in a natural organic system without chemical pollutants. Chemicals and other pollutants destroy signaling communication abilities in humans.  Plants don’t cycle nutrients normally when grown with chemicals.  Pollutants make ya dumb.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:29:20 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2020, 08:55:20 AM »
Sorry didn't mean to come across as bullying or name calling in my manner. I certainly would not want to offend the collective consciousness. Moon gardening is a bit like astrology and advocates believe passionately and I can't prove them wrong. The examples I gave are firmly held and believed by some growers and who are we to question their logic with rusty nail and pregnant women. Is their any more potent manifestation of fertility than pregnant women? I obviously see the world through a different prism and do like to challenge old ways and beliefs and why not scrutinise the way we garden in trying to find the best way to do things and why.

bbihttps://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/4643/does-planting-during-different-lunar-phases-affect-growth]https://www.gardenmyths.com/planting-moon-calendars/[url]https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/4643/does-planting-during-different-lunar-phases-affect-growth[/url]

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
What Has Been Thought and Taught on the Lunar Influence ...
www.mdpi.com › pdf

PDF
Jul 2, 2020 - Botanical Garden UV, Universitat de València, Calle Quart, 80, 46008 Valencia, Spain ... Abstract: This paper reviews the beliefs which drive some agricultural ... the link between lunar phases and agriculture from a scientific ...
by O Mayoral - ‎2020 - ‎Cited by 1
I'm not having much luck posting reports and studies and the above is perhaps the best scientific evaluation. Read page 17 if you can be bothered googling it and I'll leave it there.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2020, 11:38:00 AM »
Good reasoning Satya and others. Respect for all expressing their opinions and knowledge.
We all have some great knowledge and some excellent gardening tips, tricks and mystic twists to share with each other and learn from each other.
The proof is always in the pudding, when you see another amazing garden and ask yourself “ what are they doing right, this is amazing “ and learn what you can from someone else’s style.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2020, 04:52:40 PM »
The daily mail from the UK says that we are going to have a Mini Moon from October until May 2021. Holy Benjamin Banneker how will this affect the almanac :-\

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:58:04 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
Thats interesting!! I just read that it may be space junk :(
Yeah! From the Dark Side of the Moon where the alien's live. I have a bad feeling about this :o

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 05:27:28 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2020, 07:39:44 PM »
The daily mail from the UK says that we are going to have a Mini Moon from October until May 2021. Holy Benjamin Banneker how will this affect the almanac :-\

The asteroid, known as 2020 CD3, is only the second asteroid known to orbit Earth. And while it won't last, this asteroid acts as a temporary mini-moon whirling around our planet. The asteroid is expected to drop out of orbit around the Earth in April and return to a heliocentric orbit, which is an orbit around the sun

sttmike

• st.thomas, vi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2020, 11:02:40 AM »
not that it relates directly to plants but, for what it's worth, i've used solunar tables as a guide for hunting and fishing over the last 50 years.   

it's not perfect, but i've found that there is a better then even chance of increased activity during the major and minor feeding periods.

i've tried to plant by the moon when possible, but it usually comes down to ''when i have time''.  : >)

best,

mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
If I go fishing to the reef I do check moon phase as this effects nocturnal fish activity. Yes totally unrelated to moon gardening of course. I'm sure when Michael Jackson said blame it on the boogy rather good times or moonlight he was talking about successful gardening.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2020, 05:21:53 PM »
A firmly held belief by some relates to sounds and gardening. Whether it be music or chanting or simply talking to plants. Animals and people sure respond to noise and sounds and it's fundamental in communicating.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2020, 07:08:50 PM »
If I go fishing to the reef I do check moon phase as this effects nocturnal fish activity. Yes totally unrelated to moon gardening of course. I'm sure when Michael Jackson said blame it on the boogy rather good times or moonlight he was talking about successful gardening.

I do check moon phase as this effects nocturnal fish

Mike! Please reconsider this risky business you have of fishing on the full moon
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 07:10:32 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2020, 06:37:43 AM »
October has two full Moons this year: the full Harvest Moon on October 1 and the full Hunter’s Moon on the 31st—Halloween the full Moon will be extra special, since it will be the second of the month and, therefore, a “Blue Moon.”a full Moon occurring on Halloween is not a common occurrence and only happens every 18 to 19 years.HOW OFTEN DOES A BLUE MOON OCCUR?
Most months have one full Moon, not two.
Since the Moon’s period of phases is 29 ½ days, while months usually have 30 or 31 days, it’s obvious that if a full Moon lands on the first day of any month except February, it will repeat again at the end.
Turns out, calendrical Blue Moons happen every 30 months on average. Two and a half years. Seasonal Blue Moons happen at a similar rate: about once every two to three years. So maybe “once in a Blue Moon” isn’t so rare after all!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:40:15 AM by bovine421 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2020, 06:42:00 AM »
Great stuff bovine and I wonder if someone planted a garden on the moon if it would thrive better if done in line with earth cycles?

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
Re: Gardening by the calendar
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2020, 09:56:05 AM »
sorry, i would not ask if a time-honored system works or not. Just try and see by yourself. But remember there is much much more in a calendar than moon phases or moon in general. The Chinese calendar gives the proper and improper activities for each day, while the Hindu pancaanga gives accurate times auspicious and inauspicious within every day. But from a different point of view, it is a matter of karma; if you have a bad karma you will not find the proper time for an activity, either because you don't care to find or because your karma will cause you to be deluded; the reverse goes for good karma.
I never had a chance to try out moon phases, because that is too much luxury for me. When i have seeds or seedlings from the post office, i must plant within a few days or (usually) within hours, because i cannot keep seedlings inside home, and if i delay the seed(ling)s may not survive or the weather may deteriorate. Tropical seeds cannot be planted after the weather gets cold, and those that need stratification must be planted exactly when there is cold ahead. So, if you have no indoor devices for germinating and keeping seedlings, you cannot afford waiting for a moon phase.
I may mention the ancient method of divination by casting lots: you make lots e.g. tiny pieces of paper, one having "plant on Thursday 27/8/2020", the other "plant on Friday 28/8/2020" and so on, make each bit of paper as small as you can by folding it again and again, put them all in a vase or whatever container and shake it  until one lot (bit of paper) pops out of the vase, that is your bit of advice. BUT DO NOT DO THAT DURING THE RAT YEAR, LIKE THIS YEAR 2020. Anything you ask by casting lots during the Rat year, or Rat month, or Rat day, or Rat hour, will go wrong.
So what to do?
if you have some traditional wisdom, put it to the test, if you can afford. And most importantly pray to God for guiding; then when you plant you will think "if it is God's will, it will grow well".

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »
I plant based on the phases of rain. I like to plant stuff before rain is predicted (ideally for a few days straight). I'm not the most diligent waterer, especially if the plants are far away from the spigot or rain barrel, so the rain has certainly helped my newly planted charges get established. I don't know if the moon affects the rain?
That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm a simplistic kind of guy the only concerns i have is when's the first and the last frost. How long and how severe will the dry season be and when will it end.  Out of curiosity I looked at the  Farmers Almanac for my area. It emphasizes frost dates, in the spring on the last frost from the waxing moon till the full moon plant your seeds. For us simple folks after the last frost you have 30 days to get your seeds in the ground. What I do like about the Farmers Almanac is it tell you when to start your seeds indoors or in your greenhouse to get a jump on the garding season. :) I'm already collecting firewood for next week's full moon

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:00:19 PM by bovine421 »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2020, 09:44:03 PM »
Something I was thinking about while reading the elephant in Braille...

The moon causes ocean tides, and corals to spawn.

The oceans cover 2/3rds of the earth’s surface.

Disputing the moon’s gravitational pull is not logical.

The Sun’s Location relative to the earth causes seasons.

Plants and trees base their crops on the seasons.

The sun is 92 million miles away from my mango trees.

The Moon is 238 thousand miles away from my mango trees.

Most animals on earth are affected in some way by the moon.

The Main difference between plants and animals is that animals can move freely from one place to another.

-Now here is my question to ponder:

Did plants not intend their seeds to be moved by animals? If they did not intend then why do they produce seeds in the spring when the animals feed and Migrate most? And why did the make tasty fruits to be eaten and spread by animals? For example a mango tree intends its fruits to be eaten and digested and turned to fertilizer under its own shade and shelter, and it’s seeds to be spread elsewhere. This is no coincidence it’s a product of millions of years of evolution.

An animal’s observable life can only last as long as one human’s career.

A tree can live for hundreds of years(some for a thousand). The lunar relation to trees may be as tough as developing new telescopes to see galaxies further away; they were always there but we couldn’t see them. Tough for a human to observe truly in the Course of 100 million years.

Could the moon be completely unrelated to plants in this picture of evolution? Absolutely... but I doubt that the Majority of the evolution of plants and animals on this earth wasn’t the product of MOSTLY the sun and the moon.

Your friendly neighborhood fisherman,

-Abie

PS I Think the elephant feels with his trunk.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »
I’m actually stating that the perfect cycle of the fruit tree is the product of atleast 300
Million years of evolution, according to carbon dated fossils of palm trees. Humans like us have only been around for about 200 thousand years. In my opinion I don’t believe modern man would
Be here without the fruit tree.

Also worth mentioning, photosynthesis can happen under moonlight, just MUCH slower. Too me, that’s enough information to conclude that the moon is related to plant-life.

In reality, moon light is just a pleasant reflection of the sun on a rock...so logic would lead me to believe the sun was the driving evolutionary force in a plant, and the moon is a very minor one, but probably involved.

Ok I’m done ranting. Apologies.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2020, 11:05:41 PM »

The Main difference between plants and animals is that animals can move freely from one place to another.

Did plants not intend their seeds to be moved by animals? If they did not intend then why do they produce seeds in the spring when the animals feed and Migrate most? And why did the make tasty fruits to be eaten and spread by animals? For example a mango tree intends its fruits to be eaten and digested and turned to fertilizer under its own shade and shelter, and it’s seeds to be spread elsewhere. This is no coincidence it’s a product of millions of years of evolution.

A tree can live for hundreds of years(some for a thousand). The lunar relation to trees may be as tough as developing new telescopes to see galaxies further away; they were always there but we couldn’t see them. Tough for a human to observe truly in the Course of 100 million years.

Could the moon be completely unrelated to plants in this picture of evolution? Absolutely... but I doubt that the Majority of the evolution of plants and animals on this earth wasn’t the product of MOSTLY the sun and the moon.

-Abie

The mango is millions of years old? Wow r.e.s.p.e.c.t!
Yes they had a prehistoric fossil of a mango until the Riff Raff gang heisted it

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:10:58 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2020, 11:16:57 PM »

-Abie

The mango is millions of years old? Wow r.e.s.p.e.c.t!
Yes they had a prehistoric fossil of a mango until the Riff Raff gang heisted it

and check out this baby in Rajsahi Bangladesh

Its a roundabout

Must of been the food of the Nephilim.Wow what a plate.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:19:43 PM by bovine421 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2020, 02:17:58 AM »

The most conprehensive scientific assessment of moon gardening done to date is:

What Has Been Thought and Taught on the Lunar
Influence on Plants in Agriculture? Perspective from
Physics and Biology
Olga Mayoral 1,2,* , Jordi Solbes 1 , José Cantó 1 and Tatiana Pina 1,*
1 Department of Science Education, Universitat de València (UV), Avda. Tarongers, 4, 46022 Valencia, Spain;
jordi.solbes@uv.es (J.S.); jose.canto@uv.es (J.C.)
2 Botanical Garden UV, Universitat de València, Calle Quart, 80, 46008 Valencia, Spain
* Correspondence: olga.mayoral@uv.es (O.M.); tatiana.pina@uv.es (T.P.);
Tel.: +34-961-625-489 (O.M.); +34-961-625-924 (T.P.) .
The review came to the following conclusions in 2020 :

5. Conclusions
Science has widely established different evidences: (i) the Moon’s gravity on the Earth cannot have
any e ect on the life cycle of plants due to the fact that it is  almost 300,000 times lower
that the Earth’s gravity; (ii) since all the oceans are communicated and we can consider their size being
the size of the Earth, the Moon’s influence on the tides is 10􀀀6 ms􀀀2, but for a 2 m height plant such
value is 3  10􀀀13 ms􀀀2 and, therefore, completely imperceptible; (iii) the Moon’s illuminance cannot
have any effect on plant life since it is, at best, 128,000 times lower than the minimum of sunlight on an
average day; (iv) the rest of possible effects of the Moon on the Earth (e.g., magnetic field, polarization
of light) are non-existent.
The logical consequence of such evidence is that none of these e ects appear in physics and
biology reference handbooks. However, many of these beliefs are deeply ingrained in both agricultural
traditions and collective imagery. This shows that more research should be undertaken on the possible effects observed on plants and assigned to the Moon by the popular belief, addressing their causes,
if any. It would also be interesting to address these issues in both compulsory education and formal
higher agricultural education in order to address pseudo-scientific ideas and promote critical thinking.

Unquote:
Yes science doesn't have all the answers and has no wisdom as it is based on testing hypotheses.It is always better to know what thoughts there are and what is published on views you don't share as it allows you to believe wih more vigour when can consider things from all sides.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2020, 03:06:47 PM »
This “agricultural astronomy/philosophy” is very interesting to me.

As soon as a close my mind to new ideas, just put me 6 feet under.

Great thread I have enjoyed every post.

Even the cartoons were interesting, even though I never spoke of A fossilized mango, but reading comprehension isn’t necessary to be a great addition to any thread.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2020, 07:47:43 PM »
This “agricultural astronomy/philosophy” is very interesting to me.

As soon as a close my mind to new ideas, just put me 6 feet under.

Great thread I have enjoyed every post.

Even the cartoons were interesting, even though I never spoke of A fossilized mango, but reading comprehension isn’t necessary to be a great addition to any thread.
So are mangoes that are harvested on the new moon more or less resinous than mango harvested on the full moon?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 07:49:51 PM by bovine421 »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2020, 08:10:07 PM »
Mangomadness, I didn’t here about that brilliant mango-fossil, but I did here they discovered one of your great ancestors recently, one of the genus ASS-trolipethicus.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2020, 08:34:38 PM »
Bovine  you got mango  and  Avocado mixed up in Aztec Mythology , and the moon , and all that stuff
Got to read up on all that Pre Hispanic Mexican American stuff .. (see below post if do not want to see link)

Edit doesn't explain much , but Avocado has something to do with 1 woman, and 9 men in the Mythology (see link)
 I think She already deleted my post I wrote out on the Gucamola post twice (so follow up)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232688469_The_Avocado_Persea_Americana_Lauraceae_Crop_in_Mesoamerica_10000_Years_of_History
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:19:45 AM by Francis_Eric »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2020, 10:51:09 PM »
Someone mentioned Things need to be studied from the Government at least to give some merit
Well I guess In USA that is just a racket , and the whole dang world.

If a grant is given with FUNDS with taxes
Find the solutions to a problem that grant money dries up
so No solution More money for grants for people to keep researching
(I do like that Song Hank Williams Jr. I'm For love explains He doesn't  care talking about it , just let it pass)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:20:43 PM by Francis_Eric »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk