Author Topic: Epic Hawaii Durian Orchard project and shade cage design... and irrigation!  (Read 6856 times)

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Hawaii Durian Orchard project and shade cage design... and irrigation!
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2022, 01:55:07 PM »
Thank you, that’s an impressive list!

Yes, I’ve heard glowing reviews of east Maui grown pohakulani. Seedlings are fun, only one black thorn seedling?

Have you tried kajmak? Or Hawaiian grown red prawn?

I’m looking to plant an acre of durian, definitely cultivar guesswork as to what will grow/ripen well and appeal to my particular tastes.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2022, 06:10:37 PM »
Aloha happy Hana.   The project has evolved considerably and most the trees are plugging along.  Slow growing.  The final planting ended up in 4 rows.   

Bottom row is 8 pohakulani seedlings.    This is my favorite Hawaiian grown durian and one I’m willing to gamble on seedlings with.  So fingers crossed and we will see how these turn out.

Row 2 is:  durio kutagensis seedling
-durian (simas)
-durio graveolens seedling
-durian (mdur 88)
-durian (mdur 88)
-durian (red prawn)
-durian (monthong)
-durian (pohakulani) grafted

Row 3:  durian (suluk Sionggong)
-durian (Lihoha)
-durian (Kilauea)
-durian (kajmak)
-durian (ganyao)
-durian (chanee)
-durian (d168)
-durian (red prawn)

Row 4:  -durio (macrantha grafted)
-durian (red prawn)
-durian (d168)
-durian (black thorn seedling)
-durian (Jamuk/D99)
-durian (Jamuk/D99)
-durian (choice chanee)
-durian (d145)

All the trees have shade cages and wrapped on bottom with clear plastic wrap.    They are all on a small drip emitter sprinkler.   All have been planted in small mounds and have lots of mulch all around them.

Damn that is an impressive list on durian be great to see updates on this as they start to fruit.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2022, 01:29:58 PM »
A great experiment at your altitude. Good to see the updated planting list.
Sounds like you got the lowers all planted .
It’s really going to get fun now seeing it fill in and come into full fruition.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2022, 01:28:21 AM »
It’s most definitely a very very expensive and very very time consuming experiment and it’s crazy to think that after all this and 10-15 years of waiting it might not even work.  Haha.    I’m pushing the boundries and limits for sure.   With such a wide variety It will be very cool to see if if some of them do fruit and this telling us what varieties might be adaptive for higher elevations and this type of weather.   It seems crazy sometimes…. But far less crazy then people in Florida trying to fruit a durian.   (No offense if that’s any of you).  Haha
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2022, 06:23:03 AM »
I think what you are doing is very important work.  I like your enthusiasm for planting seedlings.  It’s critical that those of us who can undertake this task as it’s essential to develop our own selections.
On another forum the guy who I think supplied your trees said that the small durian trees could take the sun but not the wind.  What do you think about this?  We are growing durian in full sun but keeping the water coming if it doesn’t rain.  I never saw shade over young durian trees in Malaysia.
Peter

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2022, 04:08:42 AM »
Thank you Peter.  I appreciate that.  I’m 36 so I think I can weather the storm of waiting time and see this thing into fruition.  About the shade cages That is very very interesting.  Cause yeah I have zero wind here.  Hmmmm. Would be nice to not use the shade cages.   That’s for sure.    I actually don’t have shade cages over my pohakulani seedlings.  They seem pretty tough.  But they are also planted semi close to some tall rose apples also my black thorn seedling is not covered since it’s already 8-9’ tall. 
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2022, 01:03:55 AM »
So here is a shot of the durian orchard today.   You can see the shade cages over all the grafted durians above the rock wall. 

Below the rock wall I have my row of pohakulani seedlings.   In wire cages.  But no shade.   This area is accessible to pigs so that’s why these have the cages.    The last picture is a close up of one of the pohakulani trees.  They seem to be growing fine despite no shade cloth. 

All the trees have a little sprinkler emitter that waters them for 30 min in the am and 30 min the afternoon. 

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2022, 08:30:25 PM »
Beautiful property man, in the first photo how old are all those durian along the concrete wall thingy? They all seem to be fairly small?  I have noticed very different growth rates with my own durian one of my grafted trees has exploded is nearing 6ft and has only been in the ground 7 months, yet a seedling kradum thong I have is growing at snails pace !!!! I have other seedlings that have grown extremely fast. 

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2022, 12:58:43 AM »
Those durians along the back (pohakulani seedlings) were all planted less than 4 months ago.  They were seedlings from a fruit I ate in 2020 sometime

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2022, 08:24:00 AM »
Thanks for posting the photos. I was 36 when I started planting as well. I have a 100’ seedling that looks like something you’d see in Penang.
In fact lately most of the seedlings I’ve been planting are from Penang. I think the seedlings grow faster and are more resistant but that doesn’t mean they will fruit earliest, of course. Recently I’ve been planting in two distinct areas of our farm. One is where a landslide occurred 3.5 years ago. The other is a hilltop piece that was formerly planted in cacao.
The seedlings, some of which were planted in November a little over two years ago and the others a little over 3 years ago. The 3 year old ones are not necessarily biggger than the two year olds. They’re planted in full sun,with glyrcydium live posts, mulched, and hand watered in the beginning if necessary.
The growth rate is very random. A couple of the seedlings are barely over 2 years old and are more than 10’!  Others are 3 and much shorter.
I’ve been trying to upload images but have had trouble the last couple of days.
Peter

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2022, 05:31:49 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos. I was 36 when I started planting as well. I have a 100’ seedling that looks like something you’d see in Penang.
In fact lately most of the seedlings I’ve been planting are from Penang. I think the seedlings grow faster and are more resistant but that doesn’t mean they will fruit earliest, of course. Recently I’ve been planting in two distinct areas of our farm. One is where a landslide occurred 3.5 years ago. The other is a hilltop piece that was formerly planted in cacao.
The seedlings, some of which were planted in November a little over two years ago and the others a little over 3 years ago. The 3 year old ones are not necessarily biggger than the two year olds. They’re planted in full sun,with glyrcydium live posts, mulched, and hand watered in the beginning if necessary.
The growth rate is very random. A couple of the seedlings are barely over 2 years old and are more than 10’!  Others are 3 and much shorter.
I’ve been trying to upload images but have had trouble the last couple of days.
Peter

Peter I have noticed the same and am thinking of pulling out my kradum seedling, I have noticed that some trees not just durian have runts, for example I have 2 x pulasan trees planted at same time only 8 metres apart and were roughly the same size bit less than a foot at planting bit over 12 months ago.  One is now 6ft and the other is still 1ft i dont know why but I assume genetics.  Do you pull trees that seem to be stalled in growth?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2022, 09:58:09 PM »
Hi Tropo,
Sometimes I do.  Your situation sounds like it makes sense.  It really depends on how valuable/special something is.  Occasionally a tree that gets behind can get going again later but if it is not something special you might just plant another one of the same and get on with it.  I don’t have much space for stuff that won’t grow!
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2022, 02:30:25 AM »
Jeff, you will definitely get durian fruits. The only question is which types will fruit there and which won't? I would definitely add, if you have any space left, some Durio macrantha. That one is definitely adapted to cooler highlands. I gave scions to Mike Parker and he has sold them in the past. I would also add shade cloth to any cages that don't have it. Even if you don't have wind the trees will grow a lot faster when they are small if protected from the sun when little. Let them get at least 4 feet tall before removing shade cloth.
Oscar

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2022, 05:23:58 AM »
If you read his list you will see he already put a macrantha in

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
No one has fruited a macrantha here.   The purpose of the grafted trees is just for propagation since there are no seeds available. 

Also here is an updated photo or two of the whole orchard.   Which includes about

30 durian.
2 mammea apple
2 guyas (Spanish line)
1 longkong
1 matoa
1 green sapote
1 mamey sapote
2 Jamaican lilikoi (growing on the big ohia tree)
2 lychee.
2 rambutan
2 longan (red and biew kiew)
2 papaya
1 abiu

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Jeff, no one has fruited macrantha before because nobody ever planted it before. Was not available until very recently. Thought this need to be clarified.
Oscar