Author Topic: immature mango fruit dropping, seed rot?  (Read 423 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
immature mango fruit dropping, seed rot?
« on: June 05, 2021, 08:34:32 AM »
My mango tree set a ton of fruit this year but they've been steadily dropping one by one, at sizes ranging from 1-3in.  Always the same pattern... tips turns yellow then the dimple near the tip turns black and opens up into a hole.  Even the largest one is about to drop from this.   Any idea what the cause might be?  Is this some kind of disease or nutrient deficiency?

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
Re: immature mango fruit dropping, seed rot?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 08:58:45 AM »
hi, i asked a similar question about persimmons and nobody answered. After much consideration i m thinking towards position of the trees. Is there enough water and good drainage? Is there plenty of sun? Maybe even overprotection from wind can be harmful. In the case of mango, could those be unpollinated fruits? I have never grown mango up to the fruiting stage, but others may confirm or reject, whether mango needs to be pollinated to set fruit. Other types of fruit set without pollination and hence without seed, but some fruit need to be pollinated. A neighbor has a passiflora caerulaea, its flowers rarely turn to fruit and those fruits are usually empty, skin only, rarely with one or two seeds surrounded by arils, but that does not make an eatable fruit. If that is the case, put a male tree in the middle of six females.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »
That seems pretty normal to me.
The trees generally sets a lot more fruits than can hold.

There were a few threads from earlier this year with the same question.
There might be some more information in one of them

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 05:09:05 PM »
If this is just what normal fruit drop looks like on mangoes that is a relief!  I know fruit drop is common on many fruit trees but the way holes were forming in the mango fruitlets made me worry it was some kind of disease.  This is the only fruiting mango I've seen up close so I have no experience with them.

Giannhs I don't think this is pollination related, I think once fruitlets form pollination is no longer a factor.  My tree is in a heated greenhouse and so far has been extremely healthy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk