Author Topic: Cyclone/Hurricane proof fruit trees  (Read 1231 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
Cyclone/Hurricane proof fruit trees
« on: June 07, 2021, 07:05:52 PM »
Need some advice from those who have been through cyclones and hurricanes.  Im wanting to know which trees have stood up to significant hurricanes.  I have a section along the boundary of my house where I want to plant some fruit trees that are extremely resilient to coming down in cyclones.  This section of my house the trees will be 6-8 metres away from my house so i need trees that wont come down on my roof.

Im thinking of planting a rollinia along here can anyone comment on the cyclone resistance of rollinia grown from seedling? How about illama? Any other trees that you have had survive a cyclone or hurricane.

thanks

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Cyclone/Hurricane proof fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 08:39:00 PM »
No to all annonas that are common, they blow over in low tropical storm strength winds, less than 74mph. Maybe it would be better to plant something that will stay small or you can easily keep small.
Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 10:32:22 PM »
As long as trees are trimmed well and not too tall, you might get lucky, even with annonas. When a hurricane/cyclone hits, the heavier damaging winds tend to be around 10 - 15 feet above ground level and higher. Can be like a buzz saw cutting through.

We've had large trees tipped over, while small potted plants (in plastic) were not even knocked over.

Our rollinia was damaged by hurricane Irma a few years ago, but has recovered nicely. Many fruits.

Keep em short and go for it.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 10:46:11 PM »
I recommend Butiia palms. B capitata and Butia eriophopata. The last one produce great fruits. It grows naturally in Rio de Janeiro Brazil .
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 11:08:20 PM »
Sapodilla is used as a wind break in South Florida (around Mango and Lychee) and is reported to be very wind resistant. Mango, Lychee, and Anona are fairly susceptible to wind. Citrus in deep sand is quite resistant to wind, but the fruits can blow off.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 08:32:21 AM »
Just have to keep them short and the leaves of ilamas and rollinia blow off first with some cracking up an thinner branches flex. Cyclone Yasi and Larry  showed these species dont do so bad compared to rambutans,durians mangosteens etc. Depend on wind strength and short trimmed trees can survive a Yasi strength storm and laugh about Cat 1 and Cat 2..If ever FNQ gets Cyclone Olivia windspeeds then all bets are off and nothing survives.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 08:15:41 PM »
Thanks everyone looks like just keeping them short will be the best option,

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 10:18:31 PM »
Its not really a fruit tree, but banyans were some of the only trees that survived the no name hurricane that hit Lake Okechobee in the 1920s (probably because they have so many anchor points with the ground).

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »
Hurricanes will uproot huge slash pines here and just about any tree that's in the wrong place at the wrong time. In my opinion if it does that to such a well rooted strong tree then just take your chances and just stake them with 3 poles and tie them off. If someone's roof blows off then it'll ruin any tree you put there. I would do what grows best and you like to eat, but that's my opinion. New to planting trees but done hurricane clean up in trees since I was young and they all fall over.