Author Topic: Is it possible to ID this Eugenia?  (Read 532 times)

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
    • exoticke-pestovani.webnode.cz
Is it possible to ID this Eugenia?
« on: June 25, 2021, 02:59:53 AM »
Hi there, is it possible to ID this Eugenia https://dum.bazos.cz/inzerat/137428693/eugenia.php ? I wrote to the seller and he said he doesn't know which species it is. But he seems to be certain it is Eugenia.
Durian & avocado lover

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to ID this Eugenia?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 03:23:54 AM »
It looks more like a Syzygium to me as that new growth looks very similar to my rose apple's (Syzygium jambos) new growth. Many Syzygiums used to be classified in the genus Eugenia, and many growers still use those old botanical classifications.

I am sure Mike T or another grower with far more knowledge of Eugenias (or Syzygiums) than I will be able to chime in with a specific species for you.

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 04:46:35 AM »
It looks more like a Syzygium to me as that new growth looks very similar to my rose apple's (Syzygium jambos) new growth. Many Syzygiums used to be classified in the genus Eugenia, and many growers still use those old botanical classifications.

I am sure Mike T or another grower with far more knowledge of Eugenias (or Syzygiums) than I will be able to chime in with a specific species for you.

Thank you! I was thinking it doesn't look like any Eugenia I know... And now that you say it, I definitely see Syzygium in it - I've had one Syzygium jambos plant years ago and it looked very similar.
Durian & avocado lover

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 07:56:26 AM »
Not many genera are as diverse on foliage as Syzygium andit doesnt look like jambos to me. There really isnt a syzygium look.

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 08:17:45 AM »
Not many genera are as diverse on foliage as Syzygium andit doesnt look like jambos to me. There really isnt a syzygium look.
So it could be Eugenia after all? Interesting!
Durian & avocado lover

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 12:38:33 PM »
I don't think it's a Eugenia.