Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Tomato Interesting article where tomato came from Evolution

(1/3) > >>

Francis_Eric:
Hi I have been searching my history for this even taking hours
looked at the science web site in my previous  history  searched solanum (Solanaceae )
Smithsonian in my previous (ctrl +h) history  etc (Jstor BSA other reasearch articles I may have read )

All in all just found it just searched my history under tomato
go figure ..

I hope this tomato post  is received well enough
AND  no tomato throwing at me .

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2020/02/03/we_found_missing_links_in_tomato_evolution_111279.html

Francis_Eric:

--- Quote from: Francis_Eric on June 01, 2022, 01:54:49 PM ---

I hope this tomato post  is received well enough
AND  no tomato throwing at me .

https://theconversation.com/modern-tomatoes-are-very-different-from-their-wild-ancestors-and-we-found-missing-links-in-their-evolution-130041

--- End quote ---

Well could be a good thing to get the tomato's  thrown at me!
I' m poor could use for Bloody Mary  or just plain food (adding tbsp. Mayo to "sour tomato paste is not bad)

I guess I can now go on my history for that day, and find the more scientific stuff

(I got to say more interested in natural selections , and not Gene editing
Sorry will not let me copy picture of wild to cultivated tomato picture they have.)

digigarden:

Hi, my experience with tomatoes is just from home gardening and internet websites...i knew tomatoes were from the americas but
wasn't sure if they came from mexico or south america but they obviously spread all over in time.I do agree with that link
information even though i will tell you that the problem in "ultra tropical" areas is not only the diseases which are rampant.
However i must tell you in my experience that tomatoes don't simply die to disease right away(unless it's the rainy season
and it rains too much on them non stop)...they may grow very wbut then won't fruit.
for things like tomatoes and veggies in general but also there's a problem for flowering and producing fruit and this is not
only tomatoes but also peppers and even some eggplant varieties. However the smaller ones such as cherry type tomatoes or hot
peppers do really really well over here. It's probably tropical adaptation from those ancient wild species as the article says.
You can also grow things like cubanelle peppers and those italian type peppers over here...but bell peppers have problems
fruiting at all(at sea level)...you know there's a type of tomato called gajilete https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ExMREiP1qI
that also produces well in puerto rico that came from those italian type of tomatoes, that must be that those can flower well
without tropical winter or mountain tropical weather...that's the thing that in mid to high elevations any tomato or bell pepper
does really well over here!! it's also possible to grow other type of tomatoes at lower altitudes but only during the winter will
they ever produce. Hydroponics is another story...maybe it can be done that way in lower altitudes but i'm not sure...for herbs yes.

Francis_Eric:
tHANK you good to haVE  actually someone experienced

for me I guess it is by the books
or just interested in botany (i Am )

what I wonder is those native Florida ones

All this I have no Idea

I want to learn more of others experiences

One thing I learned is sometimes on the out side
playing pool or billards sometimes the person winning has no idea what they are doing (that is me

(by the way This Leoopn Russal masquerade song is good)

Francis_Eric:

--- Quote from: digigarden on June 01, 2022, 03:13:56 PM ---
Hi, my experience with tomatoes is just from home gardening and internet websites...i knew tomatoes were from the americas but
wasn't sure if they came from mexico or south america but they obviously spread all over in time.I do agree with that link
information even though i will tell you that the problem in "ultra tropical" areas is not only the diseases which are rampant.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I am  confused myself

I look at my history with no luck (march 23rd (
Thought I had better research pages 

All I can say is Screw conventional thinking as far as cooking
They say egg plant is good for frying (on the farm -- not jail)
I had in crook pot mushy cook all day long

--- Quote ---However i must tell you in my experience that tomatoes don't simply die to disease right away(unless it's the rainy season
and it rains too much on them non stop)...they may grow very wbut then won't fruit.
for things like tomatoes and veggies in general but also there's a problem for flowering and producing fruit and this is not
only tomatoes but also peppers and even some eggplant varieties. However the smaller ones such as cherry type tomatoes or hot
peppers do really really well over here. It's probably tropical adaptation from those ancient wild species as the article says.
You can also grow things like cubanelle peppers and those italian type peppers over here.
--- End quote ---

good to know
soundgarden song said know at same time

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version