Author Topic: Need help reviving Brussels jaboticaba bonsai  (Read 738 times)

Bbled10

• Texas
    • View Profile
Need help reviving Brussels jaboticaba bonsai
« on: July 15, 2022, 01:00:04 AM »
Hello! I was given this bonsái and determined to save it if possible. I guess I’m just asking if it’s a waste of time or if it looks salvageable. I am very new to this and all tips/advice appreciated!

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
Re: Need help reviving Brussels jaboticaba bonsai
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »
It looks like it’s starving for water. Please water it thoroughly but don’t drown it and place in shade. All those dried leaves will drop eventually you will get new growth. Also spray with water lightly so the bark gets moisture. Good luck, hope it’s not to late.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 08:26:02 AM »
Forgot to ask it you did a scratch test to determine if still viable. Just scratch the trunk and see if still green. If it is, you still have a chance.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 04:42:18 PM »
I think it will bounce back-

If you are watering from the bottom (as it appears in the picture) I would do that until the soil saturates and then remove any remaining water from the bottom tray

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 04:40:01 AM »
Hello! I was given this bonsái and determined to save it if possible. I guess I’m just asking if it’s a waste of time or if it looks salvageable. I am very new to this and all tips/advice appreciated!

i think that plant may be looking down at u from heaven  ;D ;D....
It may have a chance of surviving' scratch the stem here and there as reccomended above, if the bark is moist and alive looking it may make it.
Not fammiliar with jabos, but it may have a chance of sprouting from the roots also....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 04:41:44 AM by Plantinyum »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 05:43:17 AM »
In my experience with potted Jabos, they love soaking feet. Place that in a tray where the non chlorinated water can keep roots wet 24/7. Keep changing the water if mosquitos are a problem in your area. You're gonna have to keep it like that for weeks and hopefully new leaves push. In the shade! I've revived Red, Grimal and Blue jabos this way. Blue are the sloooowest to bounce back.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 07:25:54 PM »
Yes, your jaboticaba can be revived if, as other growers have stated, its cambium layer is still alive. You will be able to see if you scratch through the surface of the bark and see green beneath. Check an area on the stem a little above the soil line. Do not scratch too much or scratch completely around the tree, you do not want to girdle or otherwise damage it any further. If it is still alive, keep it well watered and do not allow it to dry out. Keep your jaboticaba in a shaded, warm, humid area away from strong sun, high heat, cold, or any other extreme conditions.

Most jaboticabas, or at least the species or varieties most commonly grown by collectors, really like to be wet. They can get root diseases if left standing in water too long, which causes their soil to become anaerobic. But, that condition comes after months of continually standing in water without ever drying out even slightly. Allowing a jaboticaba to completely dry out and stay dry for even a few days leads to a quick death sentence. Jaboticabas seem to be one plant that it is better to over-water than under-water, the opposite of most container plants.

Here is a photograph of a Plinia phitrantha in my collection. Through a bit of neglect coupled with dry conditions in my area, I allowed it to get too dry this spring, about three months ago. It completely defoliated and did not have any leaves for over a month. I kept it watered and placed it in a location where it was shaded from the sun, particularly harsh afternoon sun. It has come back, though not to the level of growth it previously had, at least not yet. It will need a bit of pruning to re-shape it once it is back to full strength. It also has probably been set back a year as to when it will fruit, since all the growth it has done this spring and summer is simply to recover to where it was before I let it get too dry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk