Author Topic: Replace Magnolia with Avocado or ????  (Read 8484 times)

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Replace Magnolia with Avocado or ????
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 01:21:49 AM »
Last weekend I saw a 20ft avocado loaded with fruit in Laguna beach by Whole Foods...2 blocks from the water. Chris

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »
What has been the issue/issues with Holiday avocado?
Difficult to grow the majority of fruits drop. I've had some luck with my Holiday but I know some folks who are giving up on this variety

I've already ordered the Reed and the Holiday, and I'm picking up on Friday. If the Holiday doesn't work out I could replace it with a Pinkerton, which also fruits in the fall.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »

Ok, this whole plan has come to a screeching halt. I told my 11-year-old son about the plant to enhance life on this planet by replacing that tree with an avocado, and he was absolutely _horrified_. Evidently this is his favorite "climbing tree," and a tree that he "grew up with." So he loves this magnolia, and therefore I do, too.

In a YouTube video Julie says Fuerte is a good climbing tree.   ???

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 07:28:46 PM »

Ok, this whole plan has come to a screeching halt. I told my 11-year-old son about the plant to enhance life on this planet by replacing that tree with an avocado, and he was absolutely _horrified_. Evidently this is his favorite "climbing tree," and a tree that he "grew up with." So he loves this magnolia, and therefore I do, too.

In a YouTube video Julie says Fuerte is a good climbing tree.   ???

Ah, found the video! Here's the part on the Fuerte. Don't watch other Julie Frink video if you want to hear about Fuerte. It's supposed to be in alphabetical order, and it looks like she skipped right over "F." It took me nearly a hour to figure that out :D

Well, my kid is in 6th grade, so he'll only be climbing for another few years before it's not cool any more. I'll leave the magnolia in for now.

If I plant avocados now they'll be climbable when he comes back with grandkids :D
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »
What has been the issue/issues with Holiday avocado?
Difficult to grow the majority of fruits drop. I've had some luck with my Holiday but I know some folks who are giving up on this variety

I've already ordered the Reed and the Holiday, and I'm picking up on Friday. If the Holiday doesn't work out I could replace it with a Pinkerton, which also fruits in the fall.
Whoops. I meant Saturday, today. I got my Reed and Holiday from the Foothill CRFG's field trip to La Verne Nursery in Fillmore. Neat place, and a great, great tour! I learned a ton. I also picked up a yellow dragon fruit.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 11:29:50 PM »
Whoops. I meant Saturday, today. I got my Reed and Holiday from the Foothill CRFG's field trip to La Verne Nursery in Fillmore. Neat place, and a great, great tour! I learned a ton. I also picked up a yellow dragon fruit.

Did La Verne have any interesting propagation / growing techniques that they shared with you all on the tour?

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »

Did La Verne have any interesting propagation / growing techniques that they shared with you all on the tour?

I very green :D at all of this, so everything was interesting to me. Things that were unexpected to me:
  • Don't propagate citrus at home.
  • They propagate their Frederick passionfruit by plopping pruning cuttings directly in pots of soil and otherwise ignoring them (other than the standard watering system that everything is on). They have nearly 100% success on these cuttings, and rooting hormone doesn't seem to make any difference, so they don't use it.
  • If their banana plants don't sell for whatever reason, they just hack them off right above dirt level, and they start growing again. If they do this at the correct time, they'll be at market size when they're supposed to be.
  • To avoid spreading citrus greening disease, don't propagate citrus in your backyard. This is a huge problem for the entire citrus industry, nationwide, and he emphasized this to us approximately 182 times during the tour.
  • The have a very sophisticated water recycling/reclamation system, and they re-use about 30% of the gross water that they dump on the plants. The whole nursery is on a 5% grade, so the flow-through gets collected in a drainage system, filtered, chlorinated, and re-used.
  • It's a big operation. At times they can have up to 1,000,000 one-gallon pots on site, growing.
  • For their market at large mangos are still considered to be a bit of an exotic fruit. Coming from an Asian family in Los Angeles I'd always considered mangos to be pretty common and ordinary. After all it's the most popular fruit in the world. But in the U.S. there's still quite a bit of consumer education required to make them an everyday fruit for everyone who's not on TFF :D
  • Don't propagate citrus at home.
  • If the citrus industry collapses they'll set a lot more mangos.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 12:45:46 AM »
They propagate their Frederick passionfruit by plopping pruning cuttings directly in pots of soil and otherwise ignoring them (other than the standard watering system that everything is on). They have nearly 100% success on these cuttings, and rooting hormone doesn't seem to make any difference, so they don't use it.

This one is interesting.  I've done all my Passiflora propagation in perlite and have noticed that rooting hormone doesn't seem to make much of a difference (though I never kept careful track of this).  I didn't realize it roots well in ordinary soil -- that's really worth trying.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »
They propagate their Frederick passionfruit by plopping pruning cuttings directly in pots of soil and otherwise ignoring them (other than the standard watering system that everything is on). They have nearly 100% success on these cuttings, and rooting hormone doesn't seem to make any difference, so they don't use it.

This one is interesting.  I've done all my Passiflora propagation in perlite and have noticed that rooting hormone doesn't seem to make much of a difference (though I never kept careful track of this).  I didn't realize it roots well in ordinary soil -- that's really worth trying.

But this was also in a greenhouse with high humidity and constant 80F. I'm thinking of trying this with a seedling heat mat and a 2 L soda bottle or 1 Gal milk container with the bottom cut off.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2016, 11:05:32 PM »

So, 9 months after picking up these trees, I finally put the Reed in the ground. The Holiday died  :( , probably because I left it in the pot for 9 months. So at least I don't to worry about the Holiday!