Author Topic: Looking for large Grimal Jaboticaba in SoCal for multiple rootstock experiments  (Read 5639 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where I can find and purchase a larger Grimal Jaboticaba down here in SoCal? I'm starting work on multiple rootstock Jaboticabas and would like a larger tree to harvest fresh scion from, preferably one that is fruiting, I know probably one in a million chance of finding one here.

Also I would be interested if you have a plant and are willing to sell me some scions. I plan on growing out many seedlings that are tolerant of our high pH soils and horrible city water and then approach grafting about 4-5 of them together and ultimately grafting the Grimal on top. I will also try to approach graft multiple seedlings onto a Grimal.

I want to create a very precocious heavy fruiting Grimal that can thrive in our soil and city water. I'm also curious to see if multiple rootstocks will increase the size of the fruit.

I know that Grimal is already relatively precocious and I will get better information if I worked on a variety that takes much longer to fruit but I want to work with Grimal because from what I've read, it is one of the best tasting varieties.

I don't even have seedlings going yet but I'm in the early planning stages and want to have everything lined up before I get started. I'm trying to avoid tissue cultured plants because I want a taproot. Thanks in advance!

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
I found what I was looking for. Thanks for those that messaged me! I'll update my experiments in a new thread if all goes well. Cheers,
Simon

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Sounds like a great experiment.  Which seeds do you plan to grow as rootstock that handle city water and are graft compatible with Grimal?

simon_grow

• View Profile
Hey Barath, I'm relatively new to Jaboticaba, I only have a Sabara and a Hybrid so far so this experiment is to feel the waters. I've never grafted Jabs before but when I pruned my Jab, the wood was very hard, much harder than Lychee and Longan.

I plan on using Sabara and possibly Red Jab as rootstock. I already anticipate difficulties approach grafting trees together due to their hard dense wood. I'm considering growing out lots of seedlings and approach grafting them together at an early stage and then grafting scions of top tasting varieties after the aporoach grafts have taken.

If I feel comfortable working with Jabs, I will start the real experiment and attempt to give trunciflora a shot.

Simon

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Hey Barath, I'm relatively new to Jaboticaba, I only have a Sabara and a Hybrid so far so this experiment is to feel the waters. I've never grafted Jabs before but when I pruned my Jab, the wood was very hard, much harder than Lychee and Longan.

I plan on using Sabara and possibly Red Jab as rootstock. I already anticipate difficulties approach grafting trees together due to their hard dense wood. I'm considering growing out lots of seedlings and approach grafting them together at an early stage and then grafting scions of top tasting varieties after the aporoach grafts have taken.

If I feel comfortable working with Jabs, I will start the real experiment and attempt to give trunciflora a shot.

Simon

Simon,

Did you end up finding a mature Grimal?

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile

Simon

Sounds good.  Looking forward to reading about the experiments!

simon_grow

• View Profile
Xshen, I got a lead on where I might find a mature fruiting Grimal but decided to get pre healed younger specimens as their wood may be easier to work with. If I used scions from a mature fruiting Grimal, I will not know wether future fruiting was due to the grafting of mature wood or from the addition of multiple rootstocks.

Xshen, I love your double rootstock Jab! Have you considered adding even more rootstocks in hopes of even more rapid growth?

Barath, I'll start a new thread as soon as I get my plants and have everything set up. Eventually, I would like to see if I can fruit one of the varieties that takes 15+ years to fruit from seed but cut that time in half, if possible, by using multiple rootstocks.

I need more information on compatibility of the different varieties and also determine if specific varieties can benefit from specific inter stocks. I remember Adam already posted some info. Reading through the Jaboticaba anonymous thread is very time consuming but fun and interesting.

Simon

xshen

• View Profile
Xshen, I got a lead on where I might find a mature fruiting Grimal but decided to get pre healed younger specimens as their wood may be easier to work with. If I used scions from a mature fruiting Grimal, I will not know wether future fruiting was due to the grafting of mature wood or from the addition of multiple rootstocks.

Xshen, I love your double rootstock Jab! Have you considered adding even more rootstocks in hopes of even more rapid growth?

Barath, I'll start a new thread as soon as I get my plants and have everything set up. Eventually, I would like to see if I can fruit one of the varieties that takes 15+ years to fruit from seed but cut that time in half, if possible, by using multiple rootstocks.

I need more information on compatibility of the different varieties and also determine if specific varieties can benefit from specific inter stocks. I remember Adam already posted some info. Reading through the Jaboticaba anonymous thread is very time consuming but fun and interesting.

Simon

Hey Simon,

I have been adding additional rootstocks to my seedling coronata.  The second rootstock healed perfectly and I recently added two more.  I am also trying to add an additional guava rootstock onto the multi roostocked paulista for fun.  They're related so it might work.  I've grafted a wampee scion onto a tangerine tree and the wampee scion has been growing on the tangerine tree for over a year now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:40:29 AM by xshen »

simon_grow

• View Profile
Wow, that is super cool! Big shout out for trying. That's awesome the Wampee is still alive, I'll cross my fingers for the Guava.

Did you use the same inverted veneer graft for the additional rootstock on the seedling Coronata?

Simon

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
Hi Simon, I would be interested in a Grimal of any sort in the SoCal area. I would appreciate any info greatly. Thanks, Chris

simon_grow

• View Profile
Ben Porier may have some and Adam of Flyingfox nursery may be able to ship some to you. Good luck in your quest, Jaboticaba are awesome fruit, definitely on my top ten list.

Simon

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Ben Porier may have some and Adam of Flyingfox nursery may be able to ship some to you. Good luck in your quest, Jaboticaba are awesome fruit, definitely on my top ten list.

Simon

FYI, I emailed Ben and he said he didn't have any and would love to get one himself.
Thera

simon_grow

• View Profile
Thera, I wonder if Bens "Giant Jabo" is the Grimal by another name. See reply #37
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3826.25

Simon
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:18:49 PM by simon_grow »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Thera, I wonder if Bens "Giant Jabo" is the Grimal by another name. See reply #37

Simon

Same plant!

But don't be afraid to collect it twice!  Lol

I have 10 fruting trees, and wish I had 20!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile

Simon

Correct, Simon, and the Prince has just confirmed it again. Ben said he wouldn't mind having a fruiting one but didn't say if he has smaller ones though.
Thera

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
I'm starting to think, it may be a good idea to experiment with M. coronata var. Restinga as a rootstock,

it's one of the few varieties I've heard about that can handle a seaside planting.

this variety is still so new to us in the USA, that we haven't had a chance really to test it out (near the ocean)..or in high settings with higher pH.

(so far I've heard it handles city water very well, which is encouraging...but i wonder how it would handle the soil in Homestead, FL?)...also, I'm wondering how much salt in the water it can withstand?  or is it just tolerant of sea spray?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

xshen

• View Profile
I'm starting to think, it may be a good idea to experiment with M. coronata var. Restinga as a rootstock,

it's one of the few varieties I've heard about that can handle a seaside planting.

this variety is still so new to us in the USA, that we haven't had a chance really to test it out (near the ocean)..or in high settings with higher pH.

(so far I've heard it handles city water very well, which is encouraging...but i wonder how it would handle the soil in Homestead, FL?)...also, I'm wondering how much salt in the water it can withstand?  or is it just tolerant of sea spray?

Isn't it a bit of a waste to use the coronata var restinga as a rootstock?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits

Isn't it a bit of a waste to use the coronata var restinga as a rootstock?

Lol, yes it would be a very rare and  expensive rootstock!

A shame to top work, like a Grimal seedling !

But they still may be good rootstocks!!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com