Author Topic: What can I take in Thailand?  (Read 3560 times)

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
What can I take in Thailand?
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
Hello,
since that I'll go to Thailand for christmas holiday I would have an hint in what I could take in that beautiful country.

For example I would buy a grafted jackfruit but is it possible to take in the suitcase ?
Or according to you is possible to make a shipment and in how many days it might arrive ?

thanks

tong3829

• thailand
    • View Profile
Re: What can I take in Thailand?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »
ask me. I'm Thai. and what fruit do you like?

GEMS

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:22:31 AM »
Tong,

Can you find Uvaria Gradiflora seeds

tong3829

• thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:50:08 AM »
pm send

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:12:47 AM »
I apologize if this question highjacks this thread but I too am going to SE Asia for Christmas (Vietnam specifically) and was wondering if we can bring seeds back? "sneak" seeds back? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Chris

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 05:01:39 AM »
I apologize if this question highjacks this thread but I too am going to SE Asia for Christmas (Vietnam specifically) and was wondering if we can bring seeds back? "sneak" seeds back? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Chris

You can bring seeds back legally. Apply for a Small Seed Lot Permit from USDA APHIS website.
Oscar

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 02:00:12 AM »
Thanks Oscar! Much appreciated. Chris

Drifter

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 03:22:48 AM »
Customs in BKK is relaxed, I travel in and out every month for work, customs is always empty. You'd be unlucky to get busted. It is not permitted to take seeds or scoins of various fruit out of the Kingdom, there is a list on the the Gov website somewhere. Not sure about Jackfruit but Durian is one.  You can take seeds and scoins into Thailand and I import seeds from all over the place no problem though. Post from US takes 2 weeks with no hold up in customs. I have posted stuff to the UK from the interior of the country which takes 3-5 days......I'm sure if I was posting seeds or plant material however it would have been stopped and destroyed in UK customs!  Many grafted trees I've purchased here die off once planted (perhaps it's the heat) or look shabby, this is why I opt for seeds regardless if it's not an exact genetic copy and many farmers I know are starting to think likewise. Perhaps they would be a more discrete option for you too.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 04:03:44 AM »
Customs in BKK is relaxed, I travel in and out every month for work, customs is always empty. You'd be unlucky to get busted. It is not permitted to take seeds or scoins of various fruit out of the Kingdom, there is a list on the the Gov website somewhere. Not sure about Jackfruit but Durian is one.  You can take seeds and scoins into Thailand and I import seeds from all over the place no problem though. Post from US takes 2 weeks with no hold up in customs. I have posted stuff to the UK from the interior of the country which takes 3-5 days......I'm sure if I was posting seeds or plant material however it would have been stopped and destroyed in UK customs!  Many grafted trees I've purchased here die off once planted (perhaps it's the heat) or look shabby, this is why I opt for seeds regardless if it's not an exact genetic copy and many farmers I know are starting to think likewise. Perhaps they would be a more discrete option for you too.

Yes you are right. Getting material out of Thailand is no problem. The problems always comes when you enter USA. Also California is one of the strictest states in USA. And probably the most stringent inspection station in California is in Orange county, where the person posting the question lives.
So called "discrete" options risk a $500 fine. Also there is the possibility of bring some new disease or pest into the country.
Oscar

Drifter

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 04:30:50 AM »
Fruit lover,

I meant some species are prohibited from leaving Thailand.......but you'd be unfortunate to get caught leaving the Kingdom with such plants and the Thais would probably let it slide anyway. For certain species you need a permit to take the seeds legally out of the Kingdom.

Controlled items are some items which are controlled by laws for importing into or exporting from the country. To import or export restricted/controlled items requires a permit with written authorization from the stated government agency in order to pass Customs formalities. For example,

* Buddha images, artifacts, antiques by the Fine Arts Department 
* Firearms, ammunition, explosives by the Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior
* Plants and other parts of plants by the Department of Agriculture 😩
* Live animals and animal remains by the Department of Livestock Development or the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation
* Food and drugs by the Food and Drugs Administration
* Vehicle parts by the Ministry of Industry
* Cigarette, tobacco, and alcohol by the Excise Department
* Radio communication devices and telecommunication equipments by  the Office of Specific Business Licenses, Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications

Drifter

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 04:37:04 AM »
That's the law........ but as with most things its not enforced in the land of Smiles

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 06:24:08 AM »
Fruit lover,

I meant some species are prohibited from leaving Thailand.......but you'd be unfortunate to get caught leaving the Kingdom with such plants and the Thais would probably let it slide anyway. For certain species you need a permit to take the seeds legally out of the Kingdom.

Controlled items are some items which are controlled by laws for importing into or exporting from the country. To import or export restricted/controlled items requires a permit with written authorization from the stated government agency in order to pass Customs formalities. For example,

* Buddha images, artifacts, antiques by the Fine Arts Department 
* Firearms, ammunition, explosives by the Department of Provincial Administration, Ministry of Interior
* Plants and other parts of plants by the Department of Agriculture 😩
* Live animals and animal remains by the Department of Livestock Development or the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation
* Food and drugs by the Food and Drugs Administration
* Vehicle parts by the Ministry of Industry
* Cigarette, tobacco, and alcohol by the Excise Department
* Radio communication devices and telecommunication equipments by  the Office of Specific Business Licenses, Office of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications

Yes i know what you meant. There are actually 10 controlled fruiting plants in Thailand that cant be legally exported. As you say, it's not a problem if flying out with the items. But very big problem if you're trying to get a phyto certificate, as they really won't issue the phyto for any of the 10.
Oscar

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
ok thanks for the advoce
However, I'm making a deal with a seller of plumerias at the market of bangkok ...I told her before what I want and she prepair for me the package with the certificate ... but for plumeria is easy

I would like to take a mango cocomut cream, or particular mango grafted obviously but also with certificste there could be problems ?

I'll go in bangkok and come back on phuket where I'll have the air to pechino and then milano

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk