Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Ground Cedar as replacement for pine fines

(1/2) > >>

lkailburn:
There is a local compost/mulch/rock place here in town that sells "ground cedar chips". When i asked about it, she said it's 1/4" and smaller peices and is specifically sold as a soil conditioner. She said it is much to fine to use as a mulch. Price was somewhere between 15-20 bucks a cubic yard, sold in any amount I want.  Has anyone used something similar in place of the fir or pine fines? I'm looking to do some side by side tests with the Al's gritty mix and the 5-1-1 mixes. This will be used for tropical fruit in permanent containers. I realize with the 5-1-1 mix I will have to replace the mix once in a while, more often than the gritty mix. But i've heard with the Al's mix it requires more precise watering/fert schedules - which i'm not always so good at haha. :o

Can anyone think of why cedar would not work as a replacement for the pine/fir fines in the mixes before I buy a bag? I realize it's harder wood, would not decay as quickly(hypothetically, not sure with such small peices); but not sure what effect that would have within the mixes. Thoughts?

Thanks!

-Luke

Patrick:
Sounds like Pine Bark to me, maybe the person is mistaken as Cedar is not an optimum soil conditioner as far as I know.

puglvr1:
Hi Luke, you can always ask Al yourself (send him an email via GW) if you want to be sure...I remember someone asking him about it but can't remember the answer?

CoPlantNut:
I had remembered Al commenting on this in the past as well but couldn't find it...  Until now:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0317220615802.html  (about 7/8 of the way down).

The good news is that pine bark fines are easy to find around here; they just aren't labeled as such.

Kevin

--- Quote from: puglvr1 on April 12, 2012, 11:41:02 AM ---Hi Luke, you can always ask Al yourself (send him an email via GW) if you want to be sure...I remember someone asking him about it but can't remember the answer?

--- End quote ---

CoPlantNut:
Here's a better link on the subject:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0211021520071.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version