Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 533167 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Potassium Sulfate
« Reply #2350 on: January 21, 2023, 05:42:34 PM »
Hi all.  I've read study that yield increased best with 1% foliar applications (compared to .5 or none) and mentioned the sulfur helped fight fungus.

Anyone try this?  I sprayed my big old Kent, no panicles yet, did make leaves nice dark green.
I use copper occasionally when Anthracnose starts getting bad.

Would a drench help as well?

Also wonder if it would help fight powdery mildew or hurt & chase away pollinators?
Sulfur's much harder for me to apply.

Thanks,
Ed
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 08:38:01 AM by EddieF »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #2351 on: January 22, 2023, 11:45:32 PM »
If the antifungal effect is due to the lowering of surface pH, you might have more success with potassium bisulfate.

That said, the potassium will help the tree grow and may help with bloom stimulation.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Potassium Sulfate
« Reply #2352 on: January 23, 2023, 05:59:11 PM »
Ed

I believe many mango growers use  0-0-50 (potassium sulfate) in granular form.  There are lots of post describing its use and value.  Yours is the first I have seen it applied as a foliar application, interesting. 

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: January 24, 2023, 03:45:18 PM »
Is this anything? I assumed it was damage from being beaten up by the hurricane. The damage is visible from the underside of the leaves.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: January 24, 2023, 07:39:10 PM »
Oolie & Orkine, thanks for replies.  I'm sorry for posting it in this great diagnosis thread.
Tried deleting it after i realized mistake (should be it's own thread) but couldn't.
We'll stop talking about it here.

Ed
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 02:36:42 AM by EddieF »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: January 25, 2023, 06:54:37 PM »
Any id on this one? On my pineapple pleasure and sugarloaf?
Im under the impression that it’s anthracnose or MBBS?

Should I treat it or leave it

Thanks

Abe

Ivymantled

• Australia, Queensland, Brisbane, Sub-tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: January 26, 2023, 11:35:04 PM »
Hi,
This is my first post, so I apologize if what I'm asking has been covered ad nauseum.
My father has 8-10 mango trees and 3-4 longan trees in his backyard.
Unfortunately, his health has declined and he's no longer able to care for them, so I'm seeing if I can help.

His trees vary from 2 meters tall to 8-10 meters tall.
They are 20-40 years old.
They have not been pruned for airflow.
Some have branches down at ground level.
None have ever been treated with any pesticide or fungicide before.
They have been fertilized.
In one or two previous years some of the mangoes produced a lot of fruit.
The longans have never produced significant fruit.
Neither has produced any fruit in the last few years.

The questions I would like to ask are:
1. If his mango trees have been diseased for some years (4 years plus), can they be rescued?
2. If so, will they withstand radical pruning, since every branch on the trees seems to be affected?
3. Any help identifying the diseases or problems based on the images and description below:
    • Fruit appears, but then the tip of each branch turns black, and the fruit shrivel and die.
    • Many leaves look unhealthy or diseased
    • Trunk and branches of trees look covered in moss, mould, or fungus
4. Can longans catch diseases from mangoes? They seem to exhibit similar symptoms.
    Fruit appear, then the fruit and branch tips shrivel up, dry, and die.
5. Can the longans survive radical pruning as well?
6. I have read that copper and other fungicides might help after pruning affected branches.
    Any other advice is appreciated.

THANK YOU in advance for any help.

DAC

• Florida Keys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: January 31, 2023, 10:21:03 AM »
All - I looked through as best I could to try to find the same issues I’m having before posting this. I didn’t see my exact symptoms. I’m guessing I have an anthracnose issue?? Curious if the new growth bud has an issue, what the silvery looking lesions are and what the scabby looking stuff is on the branch. This is a Keitt - planted about 3 years ago and this will be the first year it flowers - if it flowers. Curious what you all think?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: February 03, 2023, 09:11:53 PM »
Eddie F., Potassium Bicarbonate is good.  I haven't heard of Potassium Bisulfate--- I will have to look it up.

Honest Abe, mite damage.

Ivymantled, spray for anthracnose, with Copper products, alternating with other fungicides.

DAC, your Keittt looks quite normal.  Spray with Copper or Sulfur before flowers actually open.  Check that root crown is not buried.
Har

Ivymantled

• Australia, Queensland, Brisbane, Sub-tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: February 04, 2023, 03:10:28 AM »
Guanabanus
Thank you for the reply. I'd read that copper didn't work on existing infections so I wasn't sure. I'll give it a go as you suggest - appreciate your time.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: February 04, 2023, 10:08:52 AM »
Har, thanks as always & good to see ya pop in!  :)  I figure you're busy as a bee inspecting & taking care of panicles & blooms.

Found this interesting article googling potassium bicarbonate.  Compares it & others.  Acetic acid looks like a winner, sulfur great (as you know) too.
http://www.plantarchives.org/20-1/1755-1764%20(5941).pdf

DAC

• Florida Keys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: February 04, 2023, 06:34:07 PM »
Guanabanus thank you! That’s good to hear - I have very little perspective. Looking at increasing my mango varieties here soon though! I’m super excited about the potential of getting a couple of mangos off my tree this year

Timboslice

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: March 01, 2023, 09:44:13 AM »
Need some advice regarding my lemon zest tree.  It looks sad and is always attacked by weevils.  I fertilize it with 0-3-16 twice a year.  It must be getting too much or too little of something. All my other trees are looking ok

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: March 04, 2023, 07:49:24 PM »
When tree is still small, or growth is poor, or there are few leaves, or foliage is yellowed, fertilize with a mix that includes 6% or 8% Nitrogen, rather than 0%.
Har

tropical_tree_for_me

• 🇱#127473🇦#127462 Laos 🇱#127473🇦#127462 zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: March 05, 2023, 05:06:11 AM »
Hello can anyone tell me what’s on my mango leaves? It’s a small grafted tree, Thai 3 seasons variety, not sure if there’s an actual cultivar name for it, it’s been in ground for about 6-7 months. Today I noticed a bunch of black spots all over a lot of the leaves.

Can it be saved?

UAR

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: March 06, 2023, 11:20:51 AM »
Hi all

I have a mango plants that has burnt/brown edges and recently they’re getting progressively worse. Today I started noticing a few leaves falling.
The plants are potted with Miracle grow potting mix, the location is Tampa FL.

Any tips on how to help this plans recover would be appreciated. Thanks

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: March 06, 2023, 11:50:11 AM »
Hello can anyone tell me what’s on my mango leaves? It’s a small grafted tree, Thai 3 seasons variety, not sure if there’s an actual cultivar name for it, it’s been in ground for about 6-7 months. Today I noticed a bunch of black spots all over a lot of the leaves.

Can it be saved?

I've never seen that before; my guess would be either leaf gall midges or mango scab. Hopefully someone wiser will give you a better diagnosis, but I would research those two conditions ASAP and see if you can head-off whatever it is.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: March 06, 2023, 12:08:17 PM »
Hi all

I have a mango plants that has burnt/brown edges and recently they’re getting progressively worse. Today I started noticing a few leaves falling.

Browning of leaf edges looks normal; chemical fertilizer burn around the edges of old leaves in potted mangoes is common, nothing to worry about. I don't think the tree looks great; I'd guess it's roots are staying too wet. How often are you watering it?

Are you planning to plant it in-ground? I would either get it in the ground right away or get it in a bigger pot with a better soil mix (use the search on here to find some soil mixes that mangoes like). Most store-bought soil mixes aren't great for mangoes, they hold too much moisture. You are coming into the growing season, do one or the other ASAP.

UAR

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: March 06, 2023, 01:49:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply!
If the browning of the edges is normal in this situation, what would you say doesn't look good about the tree overall? I'm not sure what all to look for but the tree looks fine to me other than the edges. Should I be looking for something else?

I do plan on planting it in ground. I've been a little nervous doing it myself in fears of not doing it right and putting the tree through more stress or killing it. Is planting it in ground any more difficult than potting it? Do I need specific soil for in ground and need to monitor it differently?

UAR

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: March 06, 2023, 01:50:54 PM »
Hi all

Browning of leaf edges looks normal; chemical fertilizer burn around the edges of old leaves in potted mangoes is common, nothing to worry about. I don't think the tree looks great; I'd guess it's roots are staying too wet. How often are you watering it?

Are you planning to plant it in-ground? I would either get it in the ground right away or get it in a bigger pot with a better soil mix (use the search on here to find some soil mixes that mangoes like). Most store-bought soil mixes aren't great for mangoes, they hold too much moisture. You are coming into the growing season, do one or the other ASAP.

Thanks for the reply!
If the browning of the edges is normal in this situation, what would you say doesn't look good about the tree overall? I'm not sure what all to look for but the tree looks fine to me other than the edges. Should I be looking for something else?

I do plan on planting it in ground. I've been a little nervous doing it myself in fears of not doing it right and putting the tree through more stress or killing it. Is planting it in ground any more difficult than potting it? Do I need specific soil for in ground and need to monitor it differently?

tropical_tree_for_me

• 🇱#127473🇦#127462 Laos 🇱#127473🇦#127462 zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: March 06, 2023, 01:53:48 PM »

I've never seen that before; my guess would be either leaf gall midges or mango scab. Hopefully someone wiser will give you a better diagnosis, but I would research those two conditions ASAP and see if you can head-off whatever it is.

Thank you for the response, it appears to look like leaf gall midgies, what’s the best approach to handling this infestation? From reading some websites they recommend some sprays but I don’t have access to Bifenthrin or chlorpyrifos.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 06, 2023, 06:14:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

Your leaves are droopy and it looks like it's losing leaves while they are still green. Normally, the tree will pull all the nutrients it can back out of the leaf before letting it go; you'd see the leaf go yellow before falling off. I'd say you are definitely having root issues, based on those leaves and how they are dying at the tips.

Putting it in the ground is easy, just be sure it's a sunny, well-draining location with enough space. No need to amend the soil, just dig a hole and drop it in (making sure there are no air pockets). Be sure not to plant it deep, you want the top roots of the tree slightly-exposed; a continually wet trunk is bad. Mango trees don't like continually damp conditions, they can adapt, but it's best to only water as needed. Get it in the ground now, before it gets super-hot and sunny.

I'm no pro, use the search function on here to find more tips on what you want to do.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:16:48 PM by JakeFruit »

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 06, 2023, 06:19:20 PM »

Thank you for the response, it appears to look like leaf gall midgies, what’s the best approach to handling this infestation? From reading some websites they recommend some sprays but I don’t have access to Bifenthrin or chlorpyrifos.
No idea, I've never dealt with that before. You could wait for someone else to chime in here, but I'd suggest going to a local nursery that sells mango trees and asking them on how to deal with the issue. Don't bring any of that plant material with you, but be sure you have some pics on your phone that show the issue.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 08, 2023, 07:59:31 PM »
Hi

The tips of the branches of my mango tree (pina colada) are getting dark and the panicles are drying. What does it stem from?

Thanks

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: March 09, 2023, 09:03:29 AM »

HiThe tips of the branches of my mango tree (pina colada) are getting dark and the panicles are drying. What does it stem from?Thanks
Looks like Powdery Mildew (PM), definitely some sort of mold or fungus. Not sure how susceptible PC is to PM, some varieties fight it off and hold onto their flowers/fruit better than others. It can lay waste to an entire tree's flowers/tiny fruit, but it seems like most the time some amount of fruit hangs on. You can spray sulfur/potassium carbonate as a preventative/treatment or try trimming it out. I've been trimming this year, it's definitely working in controlling spread, but it's time consuming (I'll probably spray next season).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 09:06:55 AM by JakeFruit »