Author Topic: Dragon fruit mess  (Read 6303 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Dragon fruit mess
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »
My dragon fruit has been blooming. I hand pollinated the flowers just to make sure they had a better chance.
The flowers started to die as they they usually do. I decided to inspect the it and was totally grossed out to find small white worms crawling all around. I cut off he flowers and brushed the remaining wormy maggoty looking things off. The next day the developing fruit parts turned yellow and fell off.
I am bummed. There are more little flower buds developing  and definitely want to avoid any more failures.

1. Has anyone else seen this?
2. Is this wormy stage a normal part of the process?
3. Any recommendation to get the fruit to develop?

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon fruit mess
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »
No constructive comments, just Ewwww! I would be distressed as well. I'm probably a good year or two away from any DF production, but I'm curious to find out what the problem is.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
I did a post mortum on the little things and it appears those little worms were not into the fruit, but just at the base of where the flower connects to the fruit.
Maybe I should have left it alone and let nature take its course.  :-X :'(

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »
It can take a few days for pollen to tunnel to the ovaries. Maybe you made the cut too early. I have never seen worms in my flowers before. Is pollen that nutritious?

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »
The flowers started to die as they they usually do. I decided to inspect the it and was totally grossed

My condolences.  I hate grubs myself and would be completely grossed out too.

If it's any consolation, those little grubs probably have more flavor than dragonfruit :P
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:49:55 PM »
In my early days, before I understood that my Hailey's Comet was self sterile and I was paying attention, I found worms too in the flower remains.  With a google search, I found some farmers in some far away place complaining that fruit flies were destroying their DF crops and I thought that was my problem.  If there is a lot of rain, the flowers turn to slop and maybe that makes it a good breeding ground.  If there is no rain, they just dry up.  Either way, I let them fall off by themselves and sometimes I harvest the fruit with the dried up flower still attached.  This prevents ants from farming in the front cavity. 

Now that I pollenate with a different DF variety, I rarely ever have a flower not produce a fruit.  In 1 in 25 fruit, ants break through the skin or breaks from too much rain, exposing the flesh.  I remove the exposed area, even though it still apears ok, just before eating.  I have only found worms in fruit once and it was very evident from the outside that things had gone bad.  The skin was broken and black in an area. I cut away that quarter and the rest of the fruit seemed fine.  I have never found evidence of an animal eating a DF either. 
Brandon

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
In my early days, before I understood that my Hailey's Comet was self sterile and I was paying attention, I found worms too in the flower remains.  With a google search, I found some farmers in some far away place complaining that fruit flies were destroying their DF crops and I thought that was my problem.  If there is a lot of rain, the flowers turn to slop and maybe that makes it a good breeding ground.  If there is no rain, they just dry up.  Either way, I let them fall off by themselves and sometimes I harvest the fruit with the dried up flower still attached.  This prevents ants from farming in the front cavity. 

Now that I pollenate with a different DF variety, I rarely ever have a flower not produce a fruit.  In 1 in 25 fruit, ants break through the skin or breaks from too much rain, exposing the flesh.  I remove the exposed area, even though it still apears ok, just before eating.  I have only found worms in fruit once and it was very evident from the outside that things had gone bad.  The skin was broken and black in an area. I cut away that quarter and the rest of the fruit seemed fine.  I have never found evidence of an animal eating a DF either.

Brandon, The interesting thing is that when I dissected the fruit, the worms were not in the fruit But only to the level of the flower where it connects to the fruit. I will leave them alone with the next batch of flowers  and see what happens. :(

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
Its best to take a pic. Hard to tell what it is without one.
It doesnt sound like fruit fly, which can sting dragonfruit here, as they are not known to go for flowers or random mush, only living fresh fruit (they wont touch fruit on ground - thats dros flies and the like). Were they maggot type worms, or grubs or catterpillars?

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 11:17:25 PM »
After heavy rains or even when moderately damp I commonly see grubs from common house fly in and around my garbage (yay 1 day a week collection policy and accumulating baby poop!) It could be house fly larva, The desiccating or even fresh(ish) flowers are damp, shaded, has a scent and probably a source of food for the grubs.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:19:19 PM by demingcr »
- Colin

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »
Demingcr - cloth diapers may solve your problem. It's not that hard, although disposable diaper companies have successfully convinced people that it is. The difference is that you throw the diapers in the washing machine instead of the trash. And it saves you a ton of cash, not to mention it saves the landfills from a ton of garbage (literally a ton) each year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk