Author Topic: thinning a makok sapodilla?  (Read 3497 times)

irun5k

• Saint Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
thinning a makok sapodilla?
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
Hello all,

My Makok has approximately 50 fruit.  I think this may be too many for it, based on what I have read.  While I am not interested in making the tree grow larger, I do want the fruit to be of decent size and I know Makok have small fruit to begin with.

What do you recommend?  I was thinking of thinning the larger clusters down to one or two fruit.  Perhaps, leaving a variety of sizes so that I'll have fruit for a longer part of the season?  What is a good target number for a container tree of this size?

When I bought the tree last December it had a couple small fruit that eventually ripened in August.  These fruit are already larger and it is only October so I'm guessing I might have fruit from early summer onward?

Thanks,
Brian

mod edit: fixed post subject
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:04:40 PM by murahilin »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: thinning a makok sapodilla?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »
This link says that Makok should be thinned to get "large, quality fruit": http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/2000%20Vol.%20113/13-14%20%28CAMPBELL%29.pdf

This post here on the forum discusses thinning the Makok: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2708.0

I hope this information helps.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
thanks for recommendation!

I'm going to thin a few of my (5) Makok trees...to see if there's a difference.

I'm sure there will be.  I've been getting small fruits, but extremely delicious.

I don't mind small fruits though...in certain cases, less fruit is wasted, and more is shared!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
When comparing smaller fruit with larger fruit issue, one thing to consider is how you eat the saps.  I believe Adam, and possibly others, eat them skin and all.  In this manner, the smaller fruit would not be as much of an issue.  For those who do not eat the skin, it would be beneficial to have larger sized fruit as it would not only make separating flesh from skin but give you more flesh to skin ratio (easier to eat with less "work").
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
The makok skin is super thin. The bigger issue (for me anyway) is that the smaller fruit are just too intense, where the larger fruit are more mild.

When comparing smaller fruit with larger fruit issue, one thing to consider is how you eat the saps.  I believe Adam, and possibly others, eat them skin and all.  In this manner, the smaller fruit would not be as much of an issue.  For those who do not eat the skin, it would be beneficial to have larger sized fruit as it would not only make separating flesh from skin but give you more flesh to skin ratio (easier to eat with less "work").
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
good to know!

I like the powerful cinnamon tasting fruits! 

I will let u know if I can tell a difference between thinned out an non thinned...as far as intensity of flavor!

The makok skin is super thin. The bigger issue (for me anyway) is that the smaller fruit are just too intense, where the larger fruit are more mild.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:40:55 PM »

ahhh...fruit wimp   ;) ;D ??? ::) :P
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
HAHAHAHA the little makoks are just like biting into a chunk of piloncillo. If you have a sweet tuth, then the little makoks are probably gonna be the shizzle fo you.

ahhh...fruit wimp   ;) ;D ??? ::) :P
Jeff  :-)

irun5k

• Saint Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:11:08 PM »
Thanks all,

So maybe for a tree this size I should thin from 50 fruit down to.... guessing... hmm... 30 or so?  It actually had blooms when I bought it last December so I am assuming it might try to set even more fruit.  The potential productiveness of this tree makes me consider putting it in-ground where it can achieve its full potential... but OTHO if I get 30 fruit from such a small tree in a container that is pretty good IMHO even if they are small.

I agree on the skin.  People eat much thicker skins on other fruits and vegetables.  A lot of fruit is lost no matter how careful you are in removing or eating around the skin.

The one fruit I actually ate from the tree so far was delicious.  Zero grit and basically tasted like someone mixed butter (not margarine!), brown sugar, and pear together.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk