Author Topic: Need ID help - avocados from Hawaii  (Read 758 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Need ID help - avocados from Hawaii
« on: June 29, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »
Can anyone help me identify these two varieties of avocados that I had when vacationing in Hawaii?

The larger green skin tasted good, I planted the seed (15yrs+ old now) and it only had 2 fruits.

The yellow colored skin avo seed I planted has fruit every other year and my fruit does not show the yellow color, it's green.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
Re: Need ID help - avocados from Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 05:48:28 AM »
I had never seen a yellow avocado. Yellow skin maybe could be the result of a bagged fruit but I'm just guessing.

What about its taste?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Need ID help - avocados from Hawaii
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »
Yes, I was surprised to see that yellow skin also. That's why I took the picture inside (kitchen) with the yellow papaya next to it, very unusual.
Both tasted good. The larger green one tasted a little waterly but good. The yellow one was good, maybe a little more tastier than the green one.

I tasted one fruit from my grown seedling tree, the large green fruit seedling was very good, kinda like a fuerte flavor.  It only had 2 fruits since I had the seedling, must need a pollinator but I don't remember seeing any flowers on it. The tree is a fast growing one, it gets over 20 ft so I cut it back every year to 12 ft. In

The yellow fruit seeding tree had normal green fruits and it was very good. This tree fruits yearly so I hope to get a better taste of the fruits this season. I will take many photos of the fruit this time. I have the tree planted at my son's place. The new growth leaves on this tree is much more red/brown color than any of the avocado trees I have. I will try to take a few photos of the leaves to show this color.