Author Topic: Can you think of any reason to grow papaya  (Read 2911 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Can you think of any reason to grow papaya
« on: October 10, 2020, 12:24:46 PM »
Can you think of any other reasons?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:26:31 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Can you think of any reason to grow papaya
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 12:34:51 PM »
yeah, to eat the seeds, they very good for digestion!
- Marius

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »
Helps use up fresh lemon juice and gives purpose for having spoons?

Who remembers lost in space and that mystery 'alien' food episode?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 01:11:07 PM »
YES

harvest green, julienne and marinate with red wine vinegar, lime/lemon, chili paste, salt, pepper, whatever. Delicious and crispy.

Ripe papaya usually sux

Seeds are good for you
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:31:15 PM by roblack »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »
I had nothing to eat for 3 days once and survived on homegrown papayas true story

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »
My tortoise loves them

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 02:52:09 PM »
The Abundance, and its superfood

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 04:57:53 PM »
Use green papaya to tenderize meat

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 05:08:16 PM »
to feed to your chickens!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 08:19:02 PM »

I like to pick a fruit half green half yellow, before the ringspot or rodents have a chance, and slice it and fry it in butter.  The peppery seeds become delicately crunchy.  Much better than raw fully ripe IMO.

Additionally, tea of the leaves is supposed to be super for liver detox, though I have not tested that myself:

https://youtu.be/j7YD5vl5mcY

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 10:55:24 PM »
They are very nice
Very healthy

And the green ones make great salad. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1SD5YEeHyA&ab_channel=Pailin%27sKitchen

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 12:11:16 AM »
to grow more papayas!
- Marius

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 02:58:50 AM »
Just spoon them out and eat them. Most people that don't like papayas have never been to Hawaii and eaten a Hawaiian solo papaya. Very nice!
Oscar

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 07:44:19 PM »
I dont know if the papaya you guys are eating over in the US are the same as here in australia, but the locally grown ones are right near the top of my favourite fruits.  I have been trying more and more of the "exotic fruits" lately from locally grown farms, things like soursop, yellow sapote, jabotica and a few others and none of them even come close to what is sold here locally as "red papya" the only thing that compares for me so far to papaya is lychees and rambutan.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 07:50:52 PM »
I dont know if the papaya you guys are eating over in the US are the same as here in australia, but the locally grown ones are right near the top of my favourite fruits.  I have been trying more and more of the "exotic fruits" lately from locally grown farms, things like soursop, yellow sapote, jabotica and a few others and none of them even come close to what is sold here locally as "red papya" the only thing that compares for me so far to papaya is lychees and rambutan.

I remember eating papayas many years ago in California that were sent from Mexico. They were large watermelon sized, tasted very bland, and had nauseating smell. Found papayas repulsive until i moved to Hawaii and ate some of the solo types grown here. There is a huge diversity of quality in papayas! We have a Strawberry Red type here that is especially delicious. The real name is Solo Sunrise.
Oscar

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 07:59:23 PM »

I remember eating papayas many years ago in California that were sent from Mexico. They were large watermelon sized, tasted very bland, and had nauseating smell. Found papayas repulsive until i moved to Hawaii and ate some of the solo types grown here. There is a huge diversity of quality in papayas! We have a Strawberry Red type here that is especially delicious. The real name is Solo Sunrise.
[/quote]

Oscar do you think maybe they need a truly tropical climate to get the right taste?? i have never heard of papaya having a bad smell or any such things.  Your climate in hawaii and certainly here 16 south is a lot more tropical than mainland USA including florida.  What is sold here as red papaya (possibly similar to what you have in hawaii?) is one of the sweetest nicest tasting fruits i have come across certianly no funny smell to them or anything like that. 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 08:25:13 PM »

Oscar do you think maybe they need a truly tropical climate to get the right taste?? i have never heard of papaya having a bad smell or any such things.  Your climate in hawaii and certainly here 16 south is a lot more tropical than mainland USA including florida.  What is sold here as red papaya (possibly similar to what you have in hawaii?) is one of the sweetest nicest tasting fruits i have come across certianly no funny smell to them or anything like that.
[/quote]

I think the flavor may be more variety dependent instead of climate because I had a papaya grown nearby that was so good and tasted like a really good melon. Every other papaya I’ve here had has had that nauseating smell that Oscar described.

I tried planting some of the seeds from that fruit but they all ended up being male. At the time I didn’t know of the methods that some people have successfully used to change the sex of the papaya plant.

I was told that the original seeds for the melon tasting papaya came from Thailand. I’ve been searching for that variety for a while with no luck.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 10:07:22 PM »
I think the flavor may be more variety dependent instead of climate because I had a papaya grown nearby that was so good and tasted like a really good melon. Every other papaya I’ve here had has had that nauseating smell that Oscar described.

Yes, some varieties have much better flavor.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 01:03:21 AM »
I've yet to grow a papaya I didn't like, dogs love them!
Regards,

Gary

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 05:26:23 AM »
Oscar makes an important point about how much better some are than others and it isn't just solos that are good but quite a few others. The 'nasturtium' disagreeable aftertaste and blandness of some is most common in yellows grown in cooler areas.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 10:59:10 AM »
Use green papaya to tenderize meat

And leaves too right? never tried myself
Shane

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 01:03:09 PM »
Papaya definitely can get a bad/funky taste down here in the Miami area, but were are not truly tropical.

Best I've had ripe was Red Lady.

irun5k

• Saint Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 02:48:05 PM »
Papaya definitely can get a bad/funky taste down here in the Miami area, but were are not truly tropical.

Best I've had ripe was Red Lady.

I lived on papayas when I lived in Hawaii for a few years.  IMHO it was a totally different fruit than what you can get in supermarkets or grow in FL.  At least for me here in St. Pete, they generally taste bad and attract all sorts of issues that nothing else I've grown would attract.  Papaya wasps leading to maggots, weird big green grub things that I've never seen in my 45 yrs of being born and raised here, etc.  I spent a lot of time bagging fruit one year which prevented the wasps but the taste was still an issue. 

This being said I have not completely given up and still dream of growing something of the quality that could could by at any fruit market, supermarket or Costco in Hawaii.  Also the ones I've grown here in FL did work very well for green papaya salad.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 05:41:24 PM »
the Iguanas love them.. here in Broward county, they eat all the leaves and flowers.. fruit never settles!!
i can not compeate with the Iguanas and stopped growing the plants

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 02:17:45 AM »

I tried planting some of the seeds from that fruit but they all ended up being male. At the time I didn’t know of the methods that some people have successfully used to change the sex of the papaya plant.

I was told that the original seeds for the melon tasting papaya came from Thailand. I’ve been searching for that variety for a while with no luck.

Taste is dependent on cultivar, climate and soil type. The solo types growing in Hawaii don't do well in continental USA, not warm enough for them. The genes that cause bad smell in papayas was bred out of them i think way back in the 1950's in Hawaiian papayas. Yet many in the USA still have never had a good papaya and still complain about the smell.
Oscar