Author Topic: need help deciding where to put things  (Read 736 times)

irun5k

• Saint Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
need help deciding where to put things
« on: October 12, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
Hello, hoping to solicit some expert advice.  We are building a new home (Pinellas County) and I want to identify locations for the trees I have in mind so that it doesn't conflict with irrigation plans or anything else.

The major trees on my list are:
  • Alano Sapodilla
  • Pickering Mango
  • Cogshall Mango
  • Sweetheart Lychee
  • Jackfruit (smaller cultivar TBD, suggestions?)
  • Malyan coconut palm

Vendor descriptions of cultivars are a hard thing to build a long term plan on.  For example,  right now we have a Carrie Mango that is huge yet descriptions would make someone think otherwise.  Had we planted it close to our house we would have a major problem by now.

Any general thoughts?  The back two corners and front left corner seem to be decent candidates for larger trees which I think would be the jackfruit and lychee.  My hope is that Pickering, Cogshall and Alano will be smaller trees but I really want to plan for the future and can scrap something or change cultivars if I'm going to be constantly battling and stressing over  tree size problems.

There will not too much else to consider in landscaping.  I have several plumeria (smaller Jungle Jack cultivars) that will go in the ground but they can go anywhere.  I also have a couple of dragon fruit trellises but again those can go anywhere.

Thanks in advance.  I don't expect anyone here to design my landscape for me but even some high level thoughts or considerations would really help me out.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:36:58 PM by irun5k »

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: need help deciding where to put things
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 08:35:42 PM »
Just a couple things to consider:
identify which sides of the house get full sun (South facing) and are not shaded by neighbor’s houses or future larger trees.
Don’t plant under any power lines if the tree is expected to get tall.
Identify if an area holds moist ground for extended periods of time. A low spot that stays soggy may not be ideal for plants that don’t like wet feet.

Sounds like you have a blank slate to start your garden from. This is exciting. It’s easy control your property and plant positions, but try to be aware of future potential constructions and plantings from your neighbors which could overshadow or affect your trees root systems by chemical-laden lawn care practices.

irun5k

• Saint Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 07:34:05 PM »
Thanks, luckily there aren't too many external concerns here- no overhead lines or anything of that sort. 

Do any of the trees I've mentioned here give any concern in cases where I'm working with about 20' in the narrowest direction?  I have room to space then out in the other direction, but in most cases something with no more than a 15' mature spread is going to be the most ideal.  I also don't mine pruning but don't want to aggressively fight a cultivar that just wants to be huge.

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:18:36 PM »
I think 15-20’ spread is very generous for all your plants listed. Your trees will be happy. I have found it hard to just plant out a few trees and call it done. With time, you may find yourself adding favorite ornamentals or other fruit trees somewhere in the mix. It isn’t uncommon to see successful gardens with trees cramped in tight together. With a little pruning, you are in control. But, the more room the better. good luck on the new build!