Author Topic: What lime is it that I had in Costa Rica?  (Read 6719 times)

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
What lime is it that I had in Costa Rica?
« on: October 25, 2020, 12:06:24 PM »
Trying to figure out what lime I had in Costa Rica and loved.  It was green with lots of brown blotches on the skin, orange flesh, semi sweet and not too sour.  They referred to it as limon.  I think it’s a rangpur but not sure.  Trying to figure out the exact species. 

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
Re: What lime is it that I had in Costa Rica?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 07:00:41 AM »
Limón mandarina is a hybrid between the mandarin orange and the lemon. It is preferred over other varieties of lemons or limes in Costa Rica because it is easier to peel, juicier (and therefore easier to squeeze), has beautiful orange pulp, and is slightly more sweet than the regular lemons or limes yet still very sour.
http://ardentlight.com/ministry/lemon/

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »
Are you telling me that this is better than a Meyer lemon?

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
Rangpur lime (C. limonia) is C. reticulata × C. medica.
Mandarine is the female parent and citron (not lemon !!!) is the male parent, like ‘Rough’ lemon (C. jambhiri), ‘Volkamer’ lemon (C. limonia Osbeck) and C. karna.
The mandarine is the ‘Cleopatra’ mandarin from the acid mandarin group.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4817432/

Citrus Pages is wrong on this subject. I shall correct it as soon as I can.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:19:16 AM »
Limón mandarina is a hybrid between the mandarin orange and the lemon. It is preferred over other varieties of lemons or limes in Costa Rica because it is easier to peel, juicier (and therefore easier to squeeze), has beautiful orange pulp, and is slightly more sweet than the regular lemons or limes yet still very sour.

Yes!!  That’s it in the picture! How do I find seeds or plants?  I might need some help from our tico members so I get the right seeds.  Seems to be some debate over what this is.

And yes, it’s absolutely delicious.  Perfectly bridges the gap between sour and sweet.  Like a lime and a mandarin had a baby.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 10:34:37 AM by MorroBay »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »

Yes!!  That’s it in the picture! How do I find seeds or plants?  I might need some help from our tico members so I get the right seeds.  Seems to be some debate over what this is.

And yes, it’s absolutely delicious.  Perfectly bridges the gap between sour and sweet.  Like a lime and a mandarin had a baby.
if you get some I might have to drive down to morro bay from modesto lol  :)  just kidding.

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 10:27:24 PM »
I got married in Costa Rica and the house we stayed in had a big tree. It had a couple green fruit and one ripe orange fruit. Everyone was prepared for the normal lime flavor but was pleasantly surprised by the sweet taste. Went great on the mahi we caught. Everyone I talked to said it was a Rangpur so I bought one. My little 5ft tree makes more limes than I can handle.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 12:13:20 AM »
That’s what I heard too.  But I’m staring at my Rangpur tree and it’s just not the same.  Different look to the fruit. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 12:19:36 AM by MorroBay »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 03:52:29 AM »
There are different cultivars of Rangpur,  for example Kusaie, Borneo, and quite a few others. Most of the ones I have tried taste like sour mandarin.
Otaheite is said to be acidless sweet cultivar of Rangpur. Maybe its closer to this ?, or maybe not fully Rangpur ??

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:59:18 PM »
What I had in Costa Rica had a thicker skin than a rangpur, very bumpy and did not peel easily like a rangpur.

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »
What you're saying yes to of the picture posted is a Rangpur. The brown blotches on the fruit is citrus scab a fungus that is a consequence of growing in humid areas. They also grow citrus limetta or mosambi there, maybe you had one of those. Did you happen to see the tree or any ripe fruit?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:44:48 AM by mattyboydesigns »

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
Matt, you’re probably right.  My non tropical rangpur most likely looks different than one grown in rich soil and humid heat.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 03:32:46 PM »
Citrus in tropical areas can tend to ripen with greener skin, than the same variety in temperate areas.
That said I too would be trying to find more info from Costa Rica about the fruit and plant.
Rangpur is fairly distinct in leaf shape, reddish new growth.
It is also used as a rootstock in parts of South America.

roycarballo

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 11:38:36 PM »

Hi
Did you get those seeds?
I´m from Costa Rica. And have lots of those.