Author Topic: WTB: Desert King dragon fruit cuttings  (Read 1265 times)

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
WTB: Desert King dragon fruit cuttings
« on: December 17, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »
Looking for two desert king cuttings.  Let me know if anyone has any for sale or leads on any.

Thanks!

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: WTB: Desert King dragon fruit cuttings
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 06:27:56 PM »
I recently purchased a few different varieties from https://growdragonfruit.com/. They are out of stock now but you can sign up for email notifications. I saw it available a few days ago and it was something like $60 bucks for a cutting.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 10:41:56 AM »
Yeah, I’m on their alerts but always miss them since I don’t have phone or email access during my 12 hour work day.  I swear they trickle like one out at a time.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 11:25:43 AM »
60$ for a cutting really? 

You are really willing to pay that much for a piece of DF?
Brad Spaugh

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 12:42:12 PM »
Morro, I have a desert king seedling cutting that has fruited already. I can send a cutting for $20 + shipping.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
60$ for a cutting really? 

You are really willing to pay that much for a piece of DF?

Yes and no.  It’s not going to kill me to spend 60$ (I’d really rather not) but I figure I can always sell a few cutting for a reasonable price (15-20$) to recoup my investment at a later date.  So sell three cuttings and then just pay forward the rest to whoever wants some.  This silliness of 60$-100$ cuttings is out of control for something so easily propagated.  It’s my first planting year but soon as I can share cuttings for free I plan to. 

It seems many dragon fruit growers are following the De Beers diamond method of creating artificial hype and scarcity to drive up prices.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:36:03 PM by MorroBay »

dnguyen

• Simi Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 11:58:28 PM »
I got most of my df cuttings, including desert king from Brad and no where was it close to those ridiculous prices. People on Facebook are hyping it way out of control.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 03:31:27 PM »
I havent tried the desert king fruit yet but Mike from oz said its all hype.  I believe it.  Ill save you a piece in a few months if yoududnt already get one.  I have some new starter plants going in the greenhouse. 
Brad Spaugh

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 02:41:54 AM »
I havent tried the desert king fruit yet but Mike from oz said its all hype.  I believe it.  Ill save you a piece in a few months if yoududnt already get one.  I have some new starter plants going in the greenhouse.

The desert king seedling, I tasted was good however brix could of been higher, was sweeter then physical graffiti not quite as sweet as S8. The care and culture of it was less then optimal and the heat units was lower being within a mi of ocean in southern CA. Growing it now with some inland heat hoping to get some fruit this year.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk