Author Topic: Canistel storage QQs — Advice, Please . . .  (Read 402 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Canistel storage QQs — Advice, Please . . .
« on: March 30, 2021, 04:18:07 AM »
The one fruit on my Canistel, a 'Trompo' fell off sometime Monday during a rain storm and I found it lying on the leafmulch in the flower bed next to the tree.  The stem end of the fruit had split a little and a of bit old, wet leafmulch got into the little splits in the skin near where the stem had separated.

Took the fruit into the house and gently rinsed the leaves off the fruit and put it into the 'fridge.  But I am not sure that it should be left in the 'fridge overnight.  The 'fridge is set about about 40ºF.

The fruit is quite soft so I wasn't comfortable leaving it out on the kitchen table cuz I don't want it to go bad on me.  There doesn't seem to be any latex apparent due to the skin breaks, so I guess that means that it is ripe.  But maybe if it is wrapped loosely in some soft paper toweling it can be left out on the table overnight.

This is the first canistel that I've had ripen on the tree and it fell off sooner than expected.  Need to know the best way to keep it 'till it is ready to eat.  The skin is bright yellow with just the very slightest hint of orange color. 

Will I need to use it quickly?  How soon??

Comments?  Suggestions??

TIA

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:45:42 AM by Epicatt2 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Canistel storage QQs — Help, Please . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 06:23:44 AM »
Best left out until it gets soft. Trompo has a lovely outside appearance but you need it quite soft as they are a bit dry.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Canistel storage QQs — Help, Please . . .
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 11:23:43 AM »
Thanx Mike,

It was somewhat soft when I picked it up off the ground from where it had fallen, about a four foot drop, but it didn't get smushed from the fall onto the soft layer of leaf mulch.

It got left in the'fridge overnight and I took it out this a.m. and set it on the table.

It feels rather soft but should it also develop any odor or perfume?

I think I need to wrap it in paper towels cuz I noticed a couple of fruitflies that were already investigating it.

And what's the best way to tell that it is becoming properly ripe?

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk