Author Topic: Jackfruit from Seed question  (Read 889 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Jackfruit from Seed question
« on: June 24, 2021, 08:47:20 AM »
Jackfruit seed growers, what has been your experience?

I recently had a Dang Rasimi Jackfruit, and while the taste was better than the Publix ones I've been getting, it actually had more latex and like double the amount of seeds.

I did plant a few seeds (I can't help it), which are now sprouting. I'm concerned the seedlings will carry over the oodles-of-seeds trait and maybe the latex trait, too.

So I wanted to know from Jackfruit seed growers what your experience has been with traits carrying over.

Thanks!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit from Seed question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 09:30:42 AM »
When the parent tree is grown in close proximity to various other jackfruit there is a high potential for outcrossing. Nonetheless many seeds will grow quite true as they will have been self fertilised. If it is surrounded by champion jacks and outcrosses you still may get something good. Trees grown on their own or in a big stand of same variety trees have a high proportion of offspring that grown true.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 09:38:17 AM »
What Mike said.  To add, Dang Rasimi are known fir having a giid bit of latex.  Its also on the average level as far as quality (but much better than ones from Publix).

Search out some of the "newer" or improved varieties for best taste and low laytex.  In Florida, Bangkok Lemon,  J30, Excalibur Red/Gold, TM Red aka Tony Morris to name a few.  Even the Red Morning aka Daeng Suria and Amber seedlings seem to be very low in laytex.
- Rob

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 09:45:40 AM »
Thanks, Mike T and Rob, very helpful information! These seedlings may end up reincarnating as compost.  I'm at the mercy of what's offered at various fruit stands and Publix, but will keep my eye out for those you mention, Rob. Thanks again!

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 11:25:31 PM »
They pollinate by wind so it's hard to know if you get a nucellar clone or not sinc the wind blow far, I would say 80% of all the 50 mature jacks we have now are good, 15% is ok, 5% is like inedible.
But they mature so fast so not to big investment and you can always do a field graft onto it if you cut it out.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 05:45:18 AM »
Seed grown Jakfruit has worked well for me. Seeds came from a really great crunchy fruit, and so far fruit produced have been excellent. Trees are 4 years old. Largest fruit just over 14kg.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:47:51 AM by Rannman »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 11:01:37 AM »
What Mike said.  To add, Dang Rasimi are known fir having a giid bit of latex.  Its also on the average level as far as quality (but much better than ones from Publix).

Search out some of the "newer" or improved varieties for best taste and low laytex.  In Florida, Bangkok Lemon,  J30, Excalibur Red/Gold, TM Red aka Tony Morris to name a few.  Even the Red Morning aka Daeng Suria and Amber seedlings seem to be very low in laytex.

There are two types at Publix though- the yellow sucks but the orange flesh one is good. They are grown in Mexico, is that orange type still inferior? I have been growing a bunch from seed and am making a greenhouse, but would rather save that space for other seedlings from types you mentioned if they’re that much better than the orange

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk